Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1960 Biesemeyer Ski Boat (Phoenix, AZ) bought and need some help/advice - thanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1960 Biesemeyer Ski Boat (Phoenix, AZ) bought and need some help/advice - thanks

I bought this 1960 Biesemeyer (Phoenix, AZ) ski boat. It had the 1960's trailer that came with it along with a 1965 Evinrude 85 HP motor.
    I cannot find any info on this boat, the model name or number?

We tried to get her in the water last year and she stated but then would not start again without starter fluid. I took it to a local boat shop , and they are telling me I need to spend 2000 to get the steering fixed, the carburetor fixed and adjusted and that the boat may need to be sealed? Should I invest more money into this project or sell it.

The interior and fiberglass are in very very good condition.
    Not sure what to do here, I am a new boat owner and have no idea if this is even worth putting more cash into?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mcentireleslie; 06-30-2015, 10:51 AM.

Originally posted by mcentireleslie View Post
    I bought this 1960 Biesemeyer (Phoenix, AZ) ski boat. It had the 1960's trailer that came with it along with a 1965 Evinrude 85 HP motor.
    I cannot find any info on this boat, the model name or number?

We tried to get her in the water last year and she stated but then would not start again without starter fluid. I took it to a local boat shop , and they are telling me I need to spend 2000 to get the steering fixed, the carburetor fixed and adjusted and that the boat may need to be sealed? Should I invest more money into this project or sell it.

The interior and fiberglass are in very very good condition.
    Not sure what to do here, I am a new boat owner and have no idea if this is even worth putting more cash into?
    Hi.
    I do not recognize that hull but you might try www.fiberglassics.com as we have shared pretty much all the early 50's glass boat information with them.

I myself am not a fan of that engine. A two day weekend with that engine, I would feel your going to suck a six gallon tank down pretty quick.

The sad part is finding someone that knows what they are doing with them that is not a Retail shop.

If you or someone you know can work on things like that you could save all that labor cost as most of that is going to be labor I would think from what you said.
    It could be electrical right down to crap in the carbs. If the electronics are gone on that engine (no spark) it gets spendy too.

I guess the big question always comes to this. How much do you think your going to use it.
    If you want to do anything other than pull skiers or go fast, pass it on...
    Of course that is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Sounds to me like you're being taken for a ride... The steering is an easy fix! If it's rack and cable, then you can get replacement parks easily and cheap! If it's cable on pulley, then I would say invest in a steering rack or hydraulic steering of you really want to go fast! "Sealing" the boat sounds like a hack way to make a lot of money off of a new boat owner... There is no reason you should have to seal anything unless it needs serious structural work.

I agree with Helmar, those big monster motors will eat a lot of fuel in a hurry. If you think you'd like the go fast / skiing type hull maybe invest in an older Mercury or other motor that would be easier to work on, and more fuel efficient.. It's definitely a cool boat so I wouldn't sell it just because the motor is an issue, that's the best part of having an outboard!!
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

I am waiting now to hear back the details of the boat. I think they said the parts for the carb were 248.00 plus they chrage 100 for labor. I just need to know exactly what the boat needs to get running and pay a fair price to get it out on the dang water already. It ran last year, with starter fuild then it quit. I am not sure if even keeping the 1965 motor is worth it, unless it is just a carb tune up away from being ok. This was garage stored and nicely kept by a mechanic...it cant be that bad. but charging me 2,000 is just ridiculous.

If anyone on here would be willing to call this shop for me and ask what is wrong, I do knot know enough about boats to know what they are telling me and if it is even true. ANy takers? I am in Denver and the shop in in Commerce City, CO.???

Thanks again for the advice. How much to get a smaller motor and have it installed instead of this dinosaur giant I have? any help is greatly appreciated!

Comment

To repeat, sounds like you are getting fleeced.
          Perhaps $250 for carb parts might be reasonable and $100/hour sounds about right. But $2k and 'sealing' the boat. That's just taking advantage. I'd take it someplace else as a first step.

If you have any mechanical aptitude at all, cleaning a carb is fairly easy. I would wager that your issue is gunk in the carbs blocking a needle. If you don't, try and find a more mom and pop or backyard mechanic type. They'' likely take care of you without gouging.

BTW, Welcome, and the boat looks cool.
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
          X