Log Book of M/V Sweet Zoanna Summer 2015

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Log Book of M/V Sweet Zoanna Summer 2015

Hello all! Been a while since I've posted anything here, so thought I'd give those of you interested in the cruising log of the Skagit Saratogan for the last eight months or so.
    In January, I moved off San Juan Island where I lived for 18 years. Living there gave me daily access to the boat which was only a five minute walk from my residence. I left the Saratogan on San Juan while I moved to South Bend, 200 miles away.
    April 1st, I moved the boat to covered moorage in Anacortes. Since then it's a 200 mile drive to use the boat, so I have to plan a bit for any boating activity.

In May, I spent a few days out in the islands, anchoring in Westsound and Jones Island. Seems I often begin or end my cruises out of Anacortes at Eagle Harbor, Cypress Island. There are about 20 mooring buoys supplied bu DNR in Eagle Harbor and they are no charge. Good protection from southerlies and westerlies there. Great views of Mt. Baker, too.

I hauled the boat out at Jensen's Shipyard in June and redid the antifouling coating. Had quite a collection of barnacles, so spent four of the ten days removing barnacle pads. The owner at Jensen's let me do the application of the two-part antifouling myself. That was good as it saved me a couple hundred bucks labor. The boat ran fast and smooth on launching, reaching a top speed of 26.5 knots, just 30 mph. That's as fast as she goes.

July spent a few days at Eagle Harbor. Next day went up to Clark Island, but weather was unstable and I was nervous about staying there. I finally moved around to the west side of Clark which was a mistake. Only two mooring buoys there and one was taken. The other had been dragged to within a boat length of the other. So I anchored about 30 feet off shore with a strong current running. In the morning, the wind had veered to the NW and I was about 20 feet from shore and in about four feet of water. Boat draws three feet. So I was in a hurry to get out of there. Ran down to Doe bay on Orcas where I made breakfast.

August, first night at Eagle Harbor and then went up to Sucia. I usually anchor in Fox Cove, but the winds blew from the west for all the days I was there so anchored way up in Fossil Bay. Spent four days there. On the last day, the San Juan County Sheriff's boat showed up at the dock. I checked out what was up. Had a couple Homeland Security guys in camo and packing side arms boarding all the boats on the dock. I was anchored out and wondering if I'd be paid a visit? Promptly at 5:30 they left the bay, guess dinner was waiting at home.
    With the wild fires in Eastern Washington, there were some spectacular sunsets from Sucia. (See attached)

Snagged a crab pot on my leaving Sucia. The float had snagged on my center propeller and I didn't know it was there. Ran most of the way back to Anacortes at seven knots, so dragged that pot all the way. Five miles from Anacortes, fired up the other engine and ran up to 17 knots. That's when I realized the pot was there. Got lucky and on entering Cap Sante to pump the holding tank, the float popped up. I had thoughts of having to hire a diver to clear the thing. No crab!

First week in September I took my cousin and her daughter for a cruise around Shaw Island. Weather wasn't very cooperative, but had a good time anyway. I went on to cruise the islands for another ten days. Spent a few days in Aleck Bay, south end of Lopez. Good protection from norwesters and westerlies which were predicted. No protection from southerlies, so have to be careful there. Caught some crab. Finally ran out of food, water, coffee, TP, and money, so had to return home. Had a good time and actually got a few projects on the boat completed.

Cheers,

Tim aka McSkagit
    Attached Files
    Last edited by McSkagit Tim Jones; 10-27-2015, 02:34 PM.
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Wow Tim! Sounds like despite moving 200+ miles from your boat you still had quite a full summer of boating adventures!!

One question, does your center propellor actually get used or is that for future propulsion plans?
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Nice! Thanks for posting the picts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
        Wow Tim! Sounds like despite moving 200+ miles from your boat you still had quite a full summer of boating adventures!!

One question, does your center propellor actually get used or is that for future propulsion plans?
        Wouldn't it be cool to re power with three Packard Merlins and turn it into a PT boat? I remember him saying though that he has an inboard electric motor to use in coves and such to not disturb the wildlife.

Comment

Good hearing from you Tim (and Brian, too). I haven't been to this site for a long time. No longer have a classic boat. In fact, am close to having no boat at all. My son offered me the Larson Sea Lion back but Becky said no way. I'm getting too decrepit for boating, it seems. Have put my 20 foot Blue Water Monte Carlo on a lot in Bellingham to be sold on consignment. Just to give me something to do, my oldest son brought me four antique outboard to try and get running. That is going to be a challenge!
          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Here's a link to several short videos I made of my four day trip to Sucia Island. Usually stay in Fox Cove, but the wind was out of the west all the days I was there, so anchored way up in Fossil Bay.

https://youtu.be/k1F3Yz9XQDg

https://youtu.be/NzfdTlpqJxU

https://youtu.be/Kda-roLIdjs

https://youtu.be/AXeJccyU6wg

https://youtu.be/zpt4EbaI09A

https://youtu.be/vhWlNVJGr7Y

More videos coming... Stay tuned..

Tim aka McSkagit

P.S. I'm running an ad in Seattle Craig's List for Saratogan Hull 2. Check out the ad and give me some feedback, please.. Thanks

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5274074640.html
            Last edited by McSkagit Tim Jones; 10-26-2015, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan D View Post
              Wouldn't it be cool to re power with three Packard Merlins and turn it into a PT boat? I remember him saying though that he has an inboard electric motor to use in coves and such to not disturb the wildlife.
              Well, One Packard Merlin would be too much power and too much weight. The twin Volvo 41's at 400 total horsepower and 2500 pounds total are about as much as the boat can take. Above 22 knots, the keel acts like a water ski and the boat starts getting squirrely. I never have gotten the electric drive working and may wind up taking it out to save some weight. Batteries and motor/reduction gear/propeller weigh about 700 pounds.

Tim

P.S. The other issue with the big V-12's such as the Rolls Merlin or the Allison (AKA V-1710) both 27 liter displacement is the fuel consumption. At 2000 RPM (cruise) the Allison burns one gallon per minute and at 3000 RPM burns two gallons+ per minute!

The Packard PT Boat engines were completely different from the Packard Merlins. Yes, they were also 60 degree V-12's, four valves per cylinder, supercharged and with aluminum crankcases, but otherwise completely different animals.

The Volvo 41's are only 3.6 liter (219 cubic inches) smaller than the old Chevrolet six banger. They are boosted to about 1.6 BAR or 20 psi, more than doubling there effective displacement. The pair burn about nine gallons per hour at cruise (17 knots) and 22 gallons per hour at WOT (3900 RPM).
              Last edited by McSkagit Tim Jones; 10-27-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Great post Tim. Always enjoy hearing about the Saratogan.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

I thinking about doing a cruise this Winter, perhaps New Years day. Probably cruise through La Conner, probably stopping there for lunch. Would be happy to take as many of you North Puget Sounders with me as will fit. Jerry and Becky, Steve, the McDades, who else lives around La Conner? Maybe get two or three boats. This is weather permitting.

Any one interested? Still a ways off, but time to start planning...

If the weather is foul, may do a LaConner cruise February 7th. That'll be my birthday cruise...a biggie, turning 70!

Tim
                  Last edited by McSkagit Tim Jones; 10-27-2015, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea Tim. Please put Becky and me on the list. Don't suppose you see Rosario around Friday Harbor. We sold her a couple of years ago to a gal from San Juan Island. Of course, I should have listened to Becky as she loved that boat. The 1992 Bluewater with a big 350 engine didn't work out for us. It is now on the hard at Clearwater Marine in Bellingham. They are supposed to sell her on consignment. That is the last boat we will own. My eldest son came up from Oregon with five vintage outboards in various states of disrepair and said "Here dad. You need a winter project." He was right but I'm thinking this isn't it. So far, I've gotten one running properly (clean fuel and a bunch of rope yanking) and three firing up and running poorly on occasions. It would be great to see you again and hope you have a great birthday, youngster, if we don't see you before.
                    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                    X