1969 Evinrude Rogue II "Sarah Jo"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1969 Evinrude Rogue II "Sarah Jo"

Well Sarah Jo is finally done. All of the old wiring has been replaced with the NOS harnesses I found online.

I registered it and the Evinrude trailer with Idaho DMV this morning, then went to Harbor Freight and bought a heat gun, plastic scrapers and Goof Off.

One final stop at Idaho Watersports to get the new hull numbers and the name cut and then I went home. The hull got a good cleaning with Attwood Hull Cleaner, and then I attached the new Evinrude emblems I got from Andrew Gleason, the hull numbers and the name.

One of these days I'll take the time to use rubbing compound and a good polish and wax.

BTW, Brooke, the kids and I will be at the ACBS Payette Lakes boat show in McCall next month. We registered this morning and reserved our room. I don't know that our boat is in the same league as those wooden beauties, so we might bring it, but we won't be showing it.

I'd like to add pics, but it appears that the mobile app doesn't allow it.
    Frederic
    Retired Army Guy
    1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210
    1960 Mercury Sabre

Okay, on my desktop now. I'm looking out the window and the cloud ceiling is pretty low. The weather forecast gave a 20% chance of rain and 90° today; hopefully it doesn't rain and we can enjoy the day.

Here are the pics.
    Attached Files
    Frederic
    Retired Army Guy
    1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

Fredric, as a fellow ACBS member who has a fiberglass classic, SHOW THE BOAT! It doesn't matter whether it's at the same level as the $100K antiques. What matters is that you are proud of it, use it, and show it for future generations to enjoy!! I can almost guarantee you'll draw a crowd! Most ACBS shows give you an option for judging, which you can skip if yours is not restored or preserved according to ACBS guidelines (I happily show ours but will likely never have it judged as we have deviated from "original" in some big point areas...

The mobile app does allow pictures but you have to hit the "go advanced" button then scroll down to "Manage attachments"... It's a little more complicated than the full desktop version.

I like the boat! I would definitely show it at the ACBS event as I bet a lot of folks have never seen one!!
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
        Fredric, as a fellow ACBS member who has a fiberglass classic, SHOW THE BOAT! It doesn't matter whether it's at the same level as the $100K antiques. What matters is that you are proud of it, use it, and show it for future generations to enjoy!! I can almost guarantee you'll draw a crowd! Most ACBS shows give you an option for judging, which you can skip if yours is not restored or preserved according to ACBS guidelines (I happily show ours but will likely never have it judged as we have deviated from "original" in some big point areas...

The mobile app does allow pictures but you have to hit the "go advanced" button then scroll down to "Manage attachments"... It's a little more complicated than the full desktop version.

I like the boat! I would definitely show it at the ACBS event as I bet a lot of folks have never seen one!!
        Well Brooke wants to take the boat up to McCall, Brian, so I might very well end up showing it.

We had a blast today. With the exception of forgetting to put the plug in the hull (my biggest fear realized and quickly corrected by jumping in the water and shoving the plug in as fast as I could. Sarah Jo performed like a champ, as if she was brand new. Brooke LOVED being in the boat. I did have one fix, when we got home...the bilge blower/pump wasn't pumping the water out...turns out there was a wasp nest plugging everything up, but a quick blast of the water hose cleared everything up.

The nice thing about living on the lake is that it doesn't take long to get to the dock. I can't wait to go back out.
        Attached Files
        Frederic
        Retired Army Guy
        1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

I spoke to Bobby Lawrence, the President of the Payette Lakes Chapter and told him that we wanted to show Sarah Jo; we now have a slip waiting for us in McCall!

Now I need to do some cleaning, polishing and waxing....
          Frederic
          Retired Army Guy
          1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

Excellent!! After McCall you'll have to come over to Lake Chelan for Mahogany and Merlot (that way I'm not the only glassic! Our "plastic" boat gets lonely)

As for polishing / waxing, I strongly suggest Meguire's!! I have been super pleased with the results of their 105/205/305 system on my new paint job!!
            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

They are all Classics like most of old guys

Sounds like a fun event.
              Never had been there with a boat but riding though to the Sturgis Rally, always thought about taking a vacation in that area.
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Bflaherty View Post
                Excellent!! After McCall you'll have to come over to Lake Chelan for Mahogany and Merlot (that way I'm not the only glassic! Our "plastic" boat gets lonely)

As for polishing / waxing, I strongly suggest Meguire's!! I have been super pleased with the results of their 105/205/305 system on my new paint job!!

So Meguiar's is now my favorite product. I started wetsanding with 1000 grit, then moved to 1500, then 2000, then 3000. Then I went to the machine and used Meguiar's Rubbing Compound, then the Polish and finally the Wax......AWESOME!!!!!!

Port side is done, so hopefully I can get started on the starboard side tomorrow, but we had wicked thunderstorms tonight....lightning caught something on fire to the south of us...sky is glowing orange.

This afternoon I pulled the Quadrajet and rebuilt it....very glad I did. The numbnuts from whom I bought the boat apparently tried to do it too, but he bent the hell out of the primary metering rods....didn't take the time to make sure they went into the jets....I'm surprised that the boat ran at all. After carefully putting the rods back into shape, everything went back together smoothly.

Since we still have daylight well into the 9PM hour, I took the teak swim platform off and redid it.....again. If you guys recall, I sanded it and used Watco Teak Oil on it, before we moved from Texas...after spending a year in the Texas sun, I had to do everything over again. I sanded with 60 grit and used two liberal coats of Teak Oil....on Thursday I'm sealing it with Minwax Satin Urethane.

I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.
                Frederic
                Retired Army Guy
                1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

Here are pics of Sarah Jo, after I sanded the port side. I'm extremely happy with the results...even the outdrive turned out pretty well. My favorite pics are img0252 and img0253, because you can clearly see the reflection of the landscape in the fiberglass.

I have been swamped with appointments this week, so tomorrow is set aside for the starboard side wet sanding, polishing and waxing.

I also took the time to rebuild the Quadrajet, because it was spewing black smoke on startup....turns out the little schmuck from whom I got the boat attempted to rebuild it but didn't know what the hell he was doing; he bent both primary metering rods into a "U" shape, because he didn't take the time to properly seat them into the jets. I carefully bent them back slowly and rebuilt everything correctly....I also did the Carter YF on my Jeep CJ-5, while I was at it.

Today I went to Ashley Glass, in Boise, and picked up my rear view mirror....the original glass had been replaced with plastic and the adhesive used bled through the silver, so it was blotchy. Nick and Hans took good care of me...$20 to redo it with glass. I couldn't be more pleased and highly recommend them.

I sealed the swim platform about ten minutes ago; it's hanging in the garage now and I'll take pics of it tomorrow. I love the way it turned out.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Frederic Lynes; 06-08-2016, 07:39 PM.
                  Frederic
                  Retired Army Guy
                  1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

Frederic this boat is way cool and is looking great! Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                      Frederic this boat is way cool and is looking great! Nice work!
                      Thanks, Kelly. The result is definitely worth all the hard work.
                      Frederic
                      Retired Army Guy
                      1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

We took Sarah Jo out to Lucky Peak Lake on Saturday. She performed flawlessly...with five people on board and two coolers, I was able to get 34MPH @ 4300RPM, with a 14x16 prop.

When we got back to the marina, I was waiting for Brooke to get the truck and trailer, and my "Hot" light came on, so I immediately shut the engine off. Turns out the water pump finally gave up the ghost.

I ordered original OMC parts and will attempt this repair myself....as a certified rotary wing Airframe & Powerplant mechanic, how hard can it be, when you have the service manual, right?

Here are some pics.
                        Attached Files
                        Frederic
                        Retired Army Guy
                        1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

You made a nice clean boat there. I always wanted to get a Deluxe. We have salt water around here 3/4 of the job can be getting it apart and parts prepped for re use. I was working on a carburetor last night, I had to use a torch on it to get the shafts to turn and everything else too.

Comment

Originally posted by John Nelson View Post
                            You made a nice clean boat there. I always wanted to get a Deluxe. We have salt water around here 3/4 of the job can be getting it apart and parts prepped for re use. I was working on a carburetor last night, I had to use a torch on it to get the shafts to turn and everything else too.
                            Thanks, John! Wet sanding was the real PITA. Using a machine for the rubbing compound, polish and wax was cake. I will say this: do NOT use Meguiar's Polish....use the Atwood Marine Polish instead. Meguiar's Polish dries too fast and is a giant headache to remove.

I'm thinking that I might as well go through the entire outdrive and replace seals and gaskets. I noticed that the starboard intermediate housing cover is missing an o-ring, and the cork gasket is shot to hell....the port side o-ring is there but flat and the cork gasket is shot as well.
                            Frederic
                            Retired Army Guy
                            1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

I never had an omc outdrive there was a lot of them around here. I lean toward Volvo the water pump is inside the boat and the propeller shaft seal is the only one exposed to water. You didn't get to choose. If it's not making noise and there no water in it you con wait till fall for the go through, these summer days are precious.

Comment

Working...
                              X