Out of commission for a while

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of commission for a while

I'm out of commission for a while. Broke my wrist last Sunday. Fell off a ladder picking cherries. Had surgery Thursday morning. Put in a couple pins to keep the bone aligned. Difficult doing many things with only one hand. Might be six months before I can boat, handle the dock lines, pull the anchor,etc. Shit!

Tim
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Tim-
    really sorry to hear, have sent you an email. Best to you on the recovery. bruceb
    Attached Files

Comment

Damn, that sucks Tim! Broke my left wrist twice, within a month, when I was a kid but never needed surgery, thankfully. The father of the kid, who broke my arm both times (accident both times), was the doctor who set my arm. He wasn't amused.

Get better!
      Frederic
      Retired Army Guy
      1969 Evinrude Rogue II 210
      1960 Mercury Sabre

Comment

Tim let me know if I can help in any way! If you need me to Captain the Saratogan for a while, I guess I could do that...OF COURSE I WOULD DO THAT!

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones View Post
          I'm out of commission for a while. Broke my wrist last Sunday. Fell off a ladder picking cherries. Had surgery Thursday morning. Put in a couple pins to keep the bone aligned. Difficult doing many things with only one hand. Might be six months before I can boat, handle the dock lines, pull the anchor,etc. Shit!

Tim
          That really sucks. Glad that is all you broke...Need to work on your Tuck and Roll when falling off stuff.

Sure hope you do what your told so it heals fast. That would be Great...
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for the get well quick wishes. This is a major inconvenience.

Happened a week ago last Sunday.....
            Looking back, I had been picking cherries for almost three weeks. i guess I became a little lax in ladder safety. The ladder, a wooden ten foot orchard ladder. I had moved about a third of the way around the tree and had set the ladder on some uneven ground. After picking for five or ten minutes I thought the ladder might not be stable, so I gave the top of it a good shake with both hands. Seemed solid. So I continued to pick. Five minutes later I heard a creaking sound, so i stopped and listened. The sound stopped. Then the creaking started again and I knew the ladder was moving and I needed to get down ASAP.

I made it about half a step and the ladder collapsed. I had the option of going down with the ladder and probably getting busted up or jump free of it. i decided to jump. I remember looking down and thinking, crap, I'm seven feet in the air, not a good place for a seventy year old dude. On the way down I tried to remember the landing technique paratroopers are taught how to land.

I landed on my feet and butt fairly softly, but my left hand took the brunt of the impact. I watched as my wrist and hand bent up 45 degrees. Good thing about the landing, I missed the bumper on the travel trailer and the corner of the concrete pad the trailer is on....by about two feet. Hitting either of those could have been bad.

I had surgery last Thursday. I was mostly concerned about the anesthesia. I didn't want to be knocked out. So I'm on the operating table looking up at the ceiling wondering when the anesthesia was going to kick in? Next thing I know I'm sitting in a recliner in the recovery room and in a very giddy mood. I start telling jokes and after a few minutes everyone in the room is laughing. I thought this is really weird. Must be some really good drugs!

I think operating the Saratogan with one good hand is out. I will probably take Kelly up on his offer to at least deck hand for me. The Boston Harbor slip is the most difficult to get into I've ever had. The slip is a little shorter than the boat, there is a westerly current that runs on big tidal changes and the wind often pipes up in the afternoon.....out of the west at 10 to 15 knots. Makes it tricky getting in. The distance between the 400 and 500 docks (finger piers) is only 50 feet or so, so not a lot of room to maneuver. I prefer to back into the slip, but with the westerly blowing can be very difficult. Did it once and only succeeded with the help of three men and a boy on the dock.

On a positive note, a grandson born Sunday morning at 0700. No name yet, but is a big boy weighing in at 10 pounds 12 ounces!

Thanks for the well wishes.....I'll keep you posted......
            Cheers,

Tim
            Here's a pic of new grandson Rorik Stone Jones
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow what a story! That's crazy how close you were to something worse happening, whew! I've fractured both of my wrist before and it felt like an eternity for them to heal, probably due to the fact that I would still use them too much and not listen to the Dr's advice.
              So yes, whatever you need let me know...deck hand, moving something...whatever it is I'm not far away.
              I'll send you a pm.

Comment

Here are a couple pics from Bruce Bridwell of M/V Sweet Zoanna. May 31st, 16 in South Puget Sound. Hope to make it up to La Conner on Saturday but will be without the boat. Hope to see you there....P1000437+crop66+M2.jpg
                Attached Files

Comment

Tim I can't find your number...pm me when you can so I can help when needed. Hopefully you're on the mend.

Comment

Working...
                  X