Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Delivery Issue

So, here we go, don't laugh (too much):

I accidentally ran the tank dry on the Jammie Dodger last week and i'm afraid I sucked ... something ... into the fuel system. It had the original Evinrude metal tank complete with required bits of rust and such. One of these said bits must have been sucked into the line during the initial re-pump of the bulb... Got her home (after much rowing and the help of a friendly boater), filled her up, ran her again the next day and she was fine for about 20 minutes. Then she died out; fuel starvation. I pumped her up again and she ran fine the rest of the day.

Next day, on a cruise with the wife, there were all kinds of delivery issues. I would run WOT for about 10 seconds and the motor would die. Slow speeds were fine, but nothing above 1/2 throttle.

Thinking back on the tank age, I went out and bought a new 6 gallon tank, new tank fitting, new bulb/hose assembly. Put her back in the water and she Ran good for a few minutes at WOT then died. The new line is a larger diamater, so I think I am getting more fuel to the bowls before they run dry. But they are still running dry.

So, next day, off comes the fuel filter for inspection. It was pretty clean really. I cleaned it out anyway, replaced the line from the fuel fitting to the filter and then ran her again. Much better performance now. I can run 3/4 throttle all I want. But, again, WOT drains the bowls. Only thing I can think of at this point is the fuel fitting from the bulb line to the filter feed. The filter just wasn't dirty enough to have allowed anything to pass through to the carbs (I think). The engine is a Johnson 40 VRO. Runs great, and I don't think the carbs are the culprit, as it runs fine when WOT, until the bowls drain.

Could there be something obstructing the little fitting at the engine cover? Its just not that big, so that my next best guess. Any other advice is welcome!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Take the motor gas line conector off and blow it out backwards. I there is anything in there that should blow it out. You might want to check the fuel pump next if that don't do it. It doesn't hurt to put in between the carb and fuel pump one of those cheep lawn mower gas filters. Just to make sure nothing gets to the carb.
    Mike
    Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Make sure the vent is opened on the tank cap as well. You may need a carb cleaning. Never hurts. ChuckB
      "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Thanks guys. The carbs were gone through about a year and a half ago and seem to do well til the fuel dries up... The fuel pump. Yeah.. This is a wierd setup. The line break connects to the filter, then the filter has a line that goes to a 3 way manifold. It looks like two lines go to the carbs and a thrid must be the vaccume line? I'm afraid I don't know much about outboards. I tried looking the motor up online but can't quite get the exact model schematic.

I'll try to take the connector off tonight and blow it/clean it out. If that doesn't do it, I may just replace it with an updated one and then go from there...

Stupid user!
        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

I bet you punctured the diaphram in the fuel pump with the crud.

Greg Jr.

Comment

I have considered that the fuel pump diaphragm may be the issue. However, the fule filter is pretty decent and is inline before the pump. So anything that would have made it past the filter would be REALLY small. I haven't had a chance to clean out the connector yet (been busy re-wiring lights and such), but I should have a chance to look at it over the weekend and am taking Monday off to play. Stay tuned...
            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

VRO stuff

Hey guys,
              VRO uses a primer system that squirts fuel instead of closing a baffle as mercs do.The 3 way fitting and smaller 5/32`` hoses are known to leak and go south with the newer fuels.Any motor older than 1992 won`t come with alc and Benzene proof,er resistant gaskets that look brown compared to older black ones.
              I`d hook up a timing light ,remove the carb baffle and shoot it down the carb at the WOT position.Look for a steady plume of fuel in a Triangle pattern coming from the larger brass fuel feeder tube.
              I bet the high speed suck crap and is partially blocked.
              If an air leak issue,the primer will be soft while trying to run.
              Had a couple VRO pumps fail on friends after a year sitting,mine still seem to work but I still run 100:1 in my tanks,plus the VRO.
              Tim M
              unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
              15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
              SeaRay 175BR
              Hi-Laker lapline
              14` Trailorboat

Comment

Interesting info! I have a receipt from the boat owner for a new VRO pump(?) that was purchased within the last 12 months, so its pretty fresh. The lines coming off the 3 way manifold also look reasonably new.

The blockage at the outlet seems like a stretch to me though. It runs fine WOT for a while, then runs out of fuel, which seems to be to be more of a float bowl draining instead of a blockage. Wouldn't a blocked outlet cause it to run rough and sputter as soon as the throttle is opened all the way?

I may have some time to look at it tonight after work. Think I'll pull the fitting off and clean it. If nothing else, it will eliminate the issue up to the fuel filter.

Thanks everyone for your input!
                John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

fuel line stuff

The new lines and zipties sometimes get loose after a few times use,try to spin each one and try to tighten any that turn easily.The proper fuel line Zip-ties have a slight curve that tightens better than basic Electrical bundle ties that are flat.
                  You can also place a clean white rag or towel under the carb and drain it out the bowl while squeezing the primer slowly.If any crud shows up on the rag ,a bowl inspection would be good.
                  Also try to prime while running to see if the bulb is staying firm or what.
                  Air leak at the inlet fitting quick connect is another wildcard that is a on-off-back on deal.
                  TM
                  unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                  15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                  SeaRay 175BR
                  Hi-Laker lapline
                  14` Trailorboat

Comment

The search continues. I pulled off the fitting at the motor yesterday and gave it a cleaning. Didn't really see anything interesting come out, so I don't think that is the issue. Next up will be the fuel lines from the filter to the carbs. I think I'll try draining the bowls as well and see if anything comes out.
                    John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Working...
                    X