Trailer Light Wierdness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Light Wierdness

So I'm trying to sort out my trailer lights. I purchased a Hoppy converter for my Trooper and it plugged right into the factory harness. Its a flat 4 connecter type (ground, running lights, left/ right turn/brake) . I was having poor ground issues (both lights flashing when one turn signal engaged), so I removed the existing bar for the lights and went to HD and bought a new zinc plated piece. Before mounting, I ground down the paint on the trailer where it mounts so I would get a good ground. I also ground down and cleaned up the groundmount where the plug comes out of the plug. So ground is no longer an issue.

Yesterday I go to hook it all up and test.
    Driving Lights - check.
    Brake Lights - check.
    Turn signal with brake lights - check.

Turn signal with no brake lights - FAIL.

Has anybody experienced this before? I am wondering if I need a beefier relay in the truck perhaps? The truck did not come with a tow package originally. I added the hitch and the harness. Other than that, I am stumped.

Help!
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

I had that same problem a few years back and had to get a larger fuse for my turn signals. Once I did it fixed the problem. Hope this helps.

Comment

Turns out, the tail lights weren't getting enough ground from the trailer/wiring harness. I had been doing my testing with the wires hooked up but not the hitch. connected the hitch the other day for a run, and accidentally tripped the blinker. They work great!
      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
      Past Affairs:
      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
      X