wiring and steering info for a johnson fat50

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring and steering info for a johnson fat50

hey all again i have some questions. just got a motor and some other stuff from bill.i'm not to sure about the year maybe some else might know the model# is v4sl11a bill if you see this thanks a bunch.just wondering if anyone can tell me how to make the steering setup i have in the boat work for this motor.also the easiest way to wire the motor for remote startor where to find the female plug that plugs in to the motor.
    thanks again,
    ron
    Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro
    1984 bayliner capri 1975 merc 115

Steering and wiring options

Ron ,
    Your steering is meant for a tilt-tube motor and your motor is set-up for a quick release push pin with a spring that keeps the cable away from the cast bracket so you can turn the thing in various angles,which is going to be your concern.
    Some use the Splashwell type "fix point" but yours is too wide for that leaving an Add-on tilt-tube you can fab up with some Alum Channel or angle.An old Transom bracket cast pc with maybe the old tube welded or nutted in place can work but you need to bolt thru it and really secure it so it doesn`t twist when turning the motor.You might have to shim it forward of the transom so it clears thumbscrews.Those can also be used to trap a pc of Alum channel long enough use a base for a simple angle tab with a big enough hole for the steering tube to poke thru.
    The tubes and various SS "fixed pt" pcs are pricey at dealers(40-80.00 or more....) so 2nd hand or homemade will have to do most most of us.
    The fixed pt on that one should be around 4`` in front of the motor is my guess.And it will have the Steering Cable nut farther away from the motor as you won`t have a "Drag arm" in the mix,though that may make life easier but is another item to buy.You need to "center the cable" with the wheel before drilling holes,it travels 3.5`` from center each way,so 7`` overall of range.
    Sorry no pics to show but Uflex Teleflex or Morse should have pics of what you need to aim for.I`ve seen hardware store Eyebolts that were nutted in place on a threaded Alum Tube.The Bolts were shimmed thru wood blocks on the transom but that Zinc stuff will rust quickly.SS or hardened steel should be used.
    Wiring: another chapter alone.....
    Two options,
    1. Find the real deal ,hope it still works once totally wired up......The old ones use the black plug under the cover with both a Male/Female item needed.Some use the rectangular plasitc ones I`ve rarely seen working ones but doesn`t mean it can`t be found.One ban pin can make it worthless though you can always sheath and run another wire.
    This option keeps wiring as the book shows.
    2. buy the new style OMC as a "Harness extension" which has both Male and Female and then however long the cable you want say 8`,15` or the longer 25` I think they offer.`15 is usually enough and it costs way less that the two pcs pre-made,though plug+ play is very nice.
    You simply cut the cable closer to the female end and leave enough of a pigtail to re-wire it to the various items.The other end goes to your favorite keyswitch.
    Verify which keyswitch will run the older motor,some used a tougher switch or use a different method of killing the circut,or even completing the circut.
    If updating to the Red type ,you`ll have to write it all down for servicing as it will use different colors when compared to the old.
    My eyes are getting bad so seeing the colors rather than scraping and trying to figure out faded wiring has me replacing old with newer I have laying around.
    Others will offer Golden answers so keep digesting until you see the one that fits your bill.Let me dig in my pile ,who know may even have one.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

not a problem bill ne time.anytime you ever come across old johnson stuff lemme know.thanks for the info tim will try that and see what happens does it matter wut kind of key swithc to use i have a couple one from bill and one from my other fiber form that had a omc 4cylinder.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Johnson V50

That looks like the first year of the V series engines from OMC.
        Think it is 1959.? A year later the upped the horsepower to 75 as I recall.

Tim
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

steering

Ron... when I switched my early Merc. from the old cable system to a new telflex system, I bought a "kit" at Boaters World. Bolts to the transom, has a tube that your tube fits into..works great...will post photos tonight. Steve
          Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
          1955 Mansfield 17' express
          1960 Rynell Jetabout
          2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Comment

ok cool pics will be great.
            thanks much

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Hi Ron,
              Just thought I would let you know that I have a 1958 Johnson fat 50 that I just took off my Dorsett. I have the rectangular plug/harness that I was going to hang on to, but if you want to take the motor off my hands I will give you the harness also. Does yours have a magneto or is it battery ignition. This one is magneto and has no battery charging capabilities. I need to hang on to the switch box but you can either make your own or find one on ebay. Let me know if you have any intrest.
              Best of luck, Larry
              Larry Ellingson

Comment

yeah man i'll take it how much you lookin for it?i believe mine is both not too sure just orderd a factory manuel to try and figure it out it's pull start and electric not sure if it has amagneto or not it does have wut looks like a generator that it part of the distributer if i'm callin it right.

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Just the cost of your gas to get from Evrett to Gig Harbor and back. Do you have a truck?
                  Larry Ellingson

Comment

i have a mini van i call it my mini truck lol. what day would be good for you i work graveyard mon -thur but off fri till mon how bout i make a trip out this weekend?

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Can you give me a call? My number is listed in my profile.
                      Larry Ellingson

Comment

larry here is the pics of the motor
                        Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

so i figured out the steering the setup behind the dash says mercury keikafer will that system work with my johnson if i fabricate a few pieces?

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

steering

Originally posted by ron12, post: 4791
                            so i figured out the steering the setup behind the dash says mercury keikafer will that system work with my johnson if i fabricate a few pieces?
                            Ain't nuthin' time and money can't cure. Seriously, the cable should thread onto the transom bracket tube that Bill R. sent you the link for. These pieces might also be available through West Marine or some of the larger marine dealers. I would try to find these pieces rather than fab them myself, it will save you a lot of grief. I will stop by the local shop over here for the motor piece, he is a friend of mine and might have the bracket laying around.
                            Larry Ellingson

Comment

ok i think i might have found a couple diffrent assemblys bill r was talkin about. here is a pic just incase i have the wrong part little pricey but worth it if it's right.
                              Attached Files

unknown year 10ft hydro

Comment

Working...
                              X