A serious helm...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A serious helm...

Pictured here is the new BB helm with all electronics and hardware up and running. Everything is 100% operational. Seems to be a bit of overkill but I realized why I am so safety conscious: I am most often on the water of Lake Ontario alone. I have GPS and hand held back up GPS - both connected to the Standard horizon DSC radio (mounted inside the cabin with a remote mic at the helm) I have a hand held DSC radio as well. You just never know. I am eight miles from the water where I live and even from my garage, if I have the radio on, I often monitor emergency transmissions between a boats in distress and the USCG.
    Also pictured is a very nice addition to the cruising experience - the Sony marine FM/AM/CD/ Ipod radio. I really have enjoyed the sound out on the water with the engine off...

How are your boats equipped? Have any of you guys found yourselves in a true emergency on the water?

Best,
    Bob
    Attached Files

Holy Shnikies you are ready! Looks like Boaters World electronics page. Kidding aside i agree way better to be safe than sorry. Again good job on the Bellboy.
    John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Bob,
      It looks like about the right amount of equipment to me. I carry all handheld stuff. Don't want to lose it when the boat sinks I take my IC-M11 VHF Marine transmitter, my Garmin GPSmap 76, an Eagle SeaFinder 480DF, a Cobra Micro Talk CB (the commerical fishermen chat on CB I've been told) and, of course, a cell phone and lots of flares. Oh, yes, and a heavy anchor with chain and 100 feet of 1/2 inch nylon line to keep me from being smashed against the rocks while working on the motor. Seeing as how I don't claim to be the brightest bulb in the bank of lights, I like to prepare for disaster and I don't like to boat alone. (Once fell out of my running boat when traveling alone but that is a whole other story.)
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Jeepers, and I still use a weighted line with knots every so often for depth finder..

Comment

Bob, On the Farallon and Skagit i have everything required by the USCG and then some. Whenever they do a safety check i'am never concern that they will find something i don't have. They even like my canvas bags that have the CG instruction manuals and charts in them. Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I like it, back up equipment is always a good idea.

Sweet
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
            X