Help with fuel...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with fuel...

in the new Optimax. the ethanol is killing me. Engine says water in fuel?? Where do you all find the best gas to run in your boats.
    John & Diane Kelly

John, I use Union Oil ,Shell Gas mainly because that is what is around our neighborhood. No problems. But remember i have the old 2 stroke motors ??? Merc and Evinrude. If i see it cheaper down the street and it is easy to get in and out of i will go to that one....but not Arco. Chuck.
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by Marvelous, post: 5132
      in the new Optimax. the ethanol is killing me. Engine says water in fuel?? Where do you all find the best gas to run in your boats.
      I only run Chevron if I can. Seems to give my cars the best performance, the Honda does fine on it. As for your "water in the Fuel", are you running a water/fuel separator in your fuel line?
      ChuckB.
      "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

I have ran Fred Meyer fuel with no issues up until now! Yes i have a water/fuel seperator,brand new Moeller tanks,brand new fuel lines etc.
        I trust i just got a bad batch of fuel because i am tired of the hassels out on the water. Stevens Marine where i bought the engine suggests buying gas from a marina? So did Greg of Tacoma Marine so not sure but no more Freddies fuel for me!
        I was thinking of just getting fuel in Laconner - must be a marina there??
        John & Diane Kelly

Comment

John, I personally don't like Marina gas as when i had a boat stored at Port of Edmonds Marina ,i had troubles with their gas twice....108 gal each time ! I would stick with Chevron,Union,Shell ,etc on the street. Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

108 gallons - ouch! I am being told some Marinas may have low or no Ethanol?? Hard to believe but boats and planes and such may not like Ethanol. The Opti sure does not!

i will try Chevron or Shell. Thanks again Chuck looking forward to meeting up Saturday o dark early.
            John & Diane Kelly

Comment

If you have and air port close you can get Avgas and it doesn't have any alchol in it. The dam alchol atract water so that could be your problem.
              Mike
              Red sails at night a sailors delight Red sails in the morn sailors be warned

Comment

Use Stablizer

Hear in Oregon, it even worse. I use Marine stableizer in my gas, it is better the the regular stuff I hear.

Comment

Well i found Ethanol Free gas at a Marina. Ha i feel better now!
                  John & Diane Kelly

Comment

it is rumored that Citgo and BP are generally E10 free, also Sunoco.

There used to be a 76 Station between Kent and Auburn that sold race fuel as/in real leaded gas, at higher octane levels. I'm not sure if it is still there.
                    Brian Franchini probably knows as he is connected with the boat racers.

Local fuel dealers like Schultz Distributing may be able to give you guidance also. Check with a local dealer in your area, most will deliver 55 Gallon drums of special purchase products that are not available at the gas station. Hand crank pumps are not excessively expensive,

For me I would need about four drums a season, but my engine is tuned for crap gas straight from the factory.
                    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

More info

Here (I hope) is a link to a thread at FiberGlassics talking about the EPA intent to increase the amount of ethanol in gasoline. Kind of frightening.

http://www.fiberglassics.com/forms/f...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Comment

Working...
                      X