Officially Dead?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officially Dead?

Nothing from anyone? No projects? No updates? Nothing.
    Bummer. This was a hopping place just a few years ago.

Well, I have been working on a Razorback little 14 ft runabout and the Bell Boy.
    I had this little boat setting here for a couple of years being stored for a customer and he decided to do a push to get it ready for paint.
    I can't say this is a better built boat that others as they were pretty sloppy in the build.

This one they put the two half's together with fiberglass tape and with so many sharp edges it was hard to get it apart without getting yourself cut to ribbons.

Once I did have it cut apart, then noticed they Did use more wood than I thought.. Built the transom just a little thicker to hold a small 4 stroke. So I had to cut the splashwell tub and shorten it up a tad. Replaced all the wood in it and now waiting for the floatation foam. Because the top is flipped over on the hull for the wood replacement, decided due to it has No floatation in it at all, to add some. So the Fins will be filled with flotation foam and the same with the wasted space forward.

It also has two seating area boxes that has drain holes that are open to the box so its just a matter of time those fill with water and the boat goes down. So decided to take those and run a tupe forward and aft along the keel for drainage and fill those with foam..

Its kind of a V hull design but the last 3 feet it goes Flat so there were a couple of stringers back in that area that were like the transom, you could dig it out the wood with a plastic spoon..

The Bell Boy, just fitting the PVC foam panels in for the floor and getting those ready to glass up.

Oh, and the Razorback has a newer trailer. I was able to find a trailer (no pictures yet) that is a low profile with the smaller tires and wheels on it but these are the Wide smaller tires like a airplane would have. He is going to paint up the trailer to match the boat so it should look pretty cool.

How about Mr Kelly, any progress on your end ?
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Just spending every weekend working on the hardtop. Updates are in my thread.
      I guess it's you and me in here.

Comment

I'm still here! Retiring at the end of May and will have more project time. A couple rotten pieces of wood to replace in the Sylvan and I thought buying aluminum meant no more wood. A couple more Bearcats to put together. Now that's where the abandonment is. Damn near everyone dumped them. I'm assuming Bill still has parts but looks like Ed has "finally retired". I took a block with me to Minden, Nevada a while back and had Dale at Service Motors do some valve seat work on one that dropped a valve. Planning on using the boat more now.
        Dick Johnson
        1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
        '57 Evinrude 18hp
        '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
        '72 Johnson 6hp
        '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
        '65 Homelite 55
        '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
        '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sportster View Post
          I'm still here! Retiring at the end of May and will have more project time. A couple rotten pieces of wood to replace in the Sylvan and I thought buying aluminum meant no more wood. A couple more Bearcats to put together. Now that's where the abandonment is. Damn near everyone dumped them. I'm assuming Bill still has parts but looks like Ed has "finally retired". I took a block with me to Minden, Nevada a while back and had Dale at Service Motors do some valve seat work on one that dropped a valve. Planning on using the boat more now.
          I need to get this lower unit up and have you help me if you would, put it back together as a non leaker. I am excited about that other Bearcat hood too. The one I have is pretty plain.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I've got three weeks off in May, burning vacation time! Will work a grand total of 7 days in May! I should have some time to fix you up. After that I'll have all kinds of time except when I'm boating
            Dick Johnson
            '57 Evinrude 18hp
            '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
            '72 Johnson 6hp
            '65 Homelite 55
            '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
            '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I see adventure bearcat marine still has a listing. I don't know if he is still in business. He had all the new old stock and bought all the stuff from the seattle dealer and a couple others.

Comment

I thought he got out a while back. Ed's shop is still there as Zemp 4cycle marine.
                https://zemp4cyclemarine.com/
                Dick Johnson
                '57 Evinrude 18hp
                '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                '72 Johnson 6hp
                '65 Homelite 55
                '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

I've got three weeks off in May, burning vacation time! Will work a grand total of 7 days in May! I should have some time to fix you up. After that I'll have all kinds of time except when I'm boating
                  Way cool
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? Learned something from a co-worker, whenever we had to remove fitted bolts from shaft couplings on the tugs, Steve would use the air hammer to drive them out when they were tight and we had room. Worked slick! The center long manifold bolts on the Homelite/Bearcat, there's a high percentage chance they are rusted/siezed in the block and usually break off upon removal. I wanted to remove the manifold on my F block the other day and of course these bolts were not cooperating. I put one of my straight gear wrenches on the bolt and then started lightly on the bolt head with the air hammer until I could increase the hammering and still control the tool, with hand pressure on the wrench and in a very short period of time both bolts were free.
                    Dick Johnson
                    '57 Evinrude 18hp
                    '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
                    '72 Johnson 6hp
                    '65 Homelite 55
                    '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
                    '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Working...
                    X