What are you working on ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you working on ?

I can see folks logging in so let the rest of us know what project you are working on or need any help with
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

I am working on a 1956 Skagit Chinook Cruiser

Comment

Nice. Now Those are getting to be like hens teeth to find.. Do you have any pictures to share ?
      My latest project was the 57 Bell Boy 16 footer..
      Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Hello,

Newbie to the forum and new Skagit Owner. I picked up a 1958 Skagit with 35h motor that I'm restoring, just had a few questions.

1). Does anyone know where i can get original or replica lights for the boat, I'd like to have running lights for evening cruises.

2). I'm also looking into bimini covers (did they ever have original one's, or does anyone know where i can get something like the original made these boats)?

Here are some pics of the boat when I picked her up... she had one owner since 1958, there was some fiberglass work done to the rear seat a few years back overall in nice shape.

IMG_9589.jpg IMG_4040.jpg IMG_9102.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_5099.jpg

Attached Files
        1958 Skagit / Evinrude 35hp

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
          Hello,

Newbie to the forum and new Skagit Owner. I picked up a 1958 Skagit with 35h motor that I'm restoring, just had a few questions.

1). Does anyone know where i can get original or replica lights for the boat, I'd like to have running lights for evening cruises.

2). I'm also looking into bimini covers (did they ever have original one's, or does anyone know where i can get something like the original made these boats)?

Here are some pics of the boat when I picked her up... she had one owner since 1958, there was some fiberglass work done to the rear seat a few years back overall in nice shape.

IMG_9589.jpg IMG_4040.jpg IMG_9102.jpg IMG_7934.jpg IMG_5099.jpg

About as close as I know of, Perko makes a older design of some of those lights. As far as the running lights, most that I have seen are on the post that will drop down and you can pull up when needed.
          That looks to be the Skimaster 16.5 feet and the only wood in that boat is the floor and transom. It will have fiberglass stringers that never go bad.
          Bimimi tops were not used back then as far as I know so most just had the standard tops on them. Pretty sure if you search you will find pictures of the tops they used on them. Mine has the hard top on it.
          At one time one of our users Kelly was going to try and remake some of the badges for them but have not heard from him in a while.
          Helmar
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

It’s been a bit since I visited the site. Thanks for keeping it going.

Working on my 25’. In the last month or two, I’ve knocked out the 150 lbs of old concrete that was in the stern of the bilge, foamed the empty spaces, changed out the under sized trim tabs with 30” ones, added a wireless sonar, added a gas flow monitor, switched locations of my starting and house batteries, switched locations of my 15 hp “get home” outboard and my stern thruster and i
            I’m now trying to figure out why one of my gas tanks keeps backing up and spilling out after I get about a quart into the filler.

Getting really close to launch time
            17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
            18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
            19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
            25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
            14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
            14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
              It’s been a bit since I visited the site. Thanks for keeping it going.

Working on my 25’. In the last month or two, I’ve knocked out the 150 lbs of old concrete that was in the stern of the bilge, foamed the empty spaces, changed out the under sized trim tabs with 30” ones, added a wireless sonar, added a gas flow monitor, switched locations of my starting and house batteries, switched locations of my 15 hp “get home” outboard and my stern thruster and i
              I’m now trying to figure out why one of my gas tanks keeps backing up and spilling out after I get about a quart into the filler.

Getting really close to launch time
              Hi Karl !
              Good to see you on line again for sure.

That problem just Screams bent or kinked inlet or better yet, the vent hose / pipe. Can you see the inlet and vent to the tank ?
              I found on several of these old girls, they would put a loop, like a drain trap in the line like under a sink. Once they got enough water splashed in, then the tank would belch back when trying to fill.
              I have also used a old Speedometer cable and worked it down into the vent line. Most of the ends of those vents mounted to the boat had a pretty sharp angle to them so that was all I could find to force down it.

Helmar
              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I'm new to the site. I currently doing stringers, transom and floor on a 1967 16ft fiberform. I got all the old wood out and am now working on replacing it all and glassing it in. I am also doing some minor repairs to my 14ft G.W. Invader. It was completely redone several years ago, but has developed some cracks at the corners of the dash. I believe these cracks are caused from climbing/sitting on the bow/dash. Any ideas to reinforce these corners so i am not having to repair them every few years?

Cale

Comment

Originally posted by cale View Post
                  I'm new to the site. I currently doing stringers, transom and floor on a 1967 16ft fiberform. I got all the old wood out and am now working on replacing it all and glassing it in. I am also doing some minor repairs to my 14ft G.W. Invader. It was completely redone several years ago, but has developed some cracks at the corners of the dash. I believe these cracks are caused from climbing/sitting on the bow/dash. Any ideas to reinforce these corners so i am not having to repair them every few years?

Cale
                  Might be a little hard to explain as I can't seem to find any pictures but I have seen how they beef up the underside of say the cabin boats. You put a stick of wood, like a dowel hot glued to the place you want to stiffen up and use glass matt or glass tape and cover it with several layers. Its building a brace. I i will look for some examples for you.
                  Helmar
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Helmar, here is an expanded version of What have I been doing? The answer, Way too much!
                    A couple of years ago, Kelly Jacobs, Tim Jones, Bruce Bidwell, and I went for a wonderful cruise in the south Puget Sound. Unfortunately, my 1960 Intercepter died as a result of the trip. After spending the next winter taking out the engine and then realizing that it was too far gone, I purchased a 26' wooden boat that had been in a fire (storage unit) and started to salvage parts. The main reason for the purchase was to acquire it's hardly used mid-1990's Chevy 350. The boats name was Wild Iris, but we called it Wild Fire.
                    At that same time, I came up with the brilliant idea that I wanted to do The Great Loop (greatloop.org). This is a year long, 6,000 to 7,000 mile loop of the Eastern US and Canada. So, I started to dream and add all sorts of stuff to the boat. I'm just about finished, well maybe?
                    We had an official ceremony and renamed the boat from Arthur to Bucket List.
                    I was planning on starting my trip this fall, by trailering my boat out to St. Louis. But I've decided to postpone the trip by a year due to everything that is going on in the world. Plus, I will have another year to buy stuff.
                    I do want to thank my friend and neighbor, Dave Livesay, for all of his help and guidance. Dave is a retired auto shop teacher and mechanic who loves boats and puts up with sophomoric questions from me.
                    And most importantly, thanks to my wife Jody. She has definitely put up with my obsession!
                    Stats: 1960 Skagit 25' Express.
                    113 gallons gas, 4 tanks
                    9 gallon water
                    12 gallon waist holding
                    3 batteries
                    200 watt solar
                    15hp 4 stroke outboard
                    7' dinghy
                    Chevy 350 with Velvit drive
                    I think that it is about time to start boating!
                    Last edited by Karl; 06-10-2020, 12:48 PM.
                    14' Stilleto

Comment

Couple more pictures....
                      14' Stilleto

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        Helmar, here is an expanded version of What have I been doing? The answer, Way too much!
                        A couple of years ago, Kelly Jacobs, Tim Jones, Bruce Bidwell, and I went for a wonderful cruise in the south Puget Sound. Unfortunately, my 1960 Intercepter died as a result of the trip. After spending the next winter taking out the engine and then realizing that it was too far gone, I purchased a 26' wooden boat that had been in a fire (storage unit) and started to salvage parts. The main reason for the purchase was to acquire it's hardly used mid-1990's Chevy 350. The boats name was Wild Iris, but we called it Wild Fire.
                        At that same time, I came up with the brilliant idea that I wanted to do The Great Loop (greatloop.org). This is a year long, 6,000 to 7,000 mile loop of the Eastern US and Canada. So, I started to dream and add all sorts of stuff to the boat. I'm just about finished, well maybe?
                        We had an official ceremony and renamed the boat from Arthur to Bucket List.
                        I was planning on starting my trip this fall, by trailering my boat out to St. Louis. But I've decided to postpone the trip by a year due to everything that is going on in the world. Plus, I will have another year to buy stuff.
                        I do want to thank my friend and neighbor, Dave Livesay, for all of his help and guidance. Dave is a retired auto shop teacher and mechanic who loves boats and puts up with sophomoric questions from me.
                        And most importantly, thanks to my wife Jody. She has definitely put up with my obsession!
                        Stats: 1960 Skagit 25' Express.
                        113 gallons gas, 4 tanks
                        9 gallon water
                        12 gallon waist holding
                        3 batteries
                        200 watt solar
                        15hp 4 stroke outboard
                        7' dinghy
                        Chevy 350 with Velvit drive
                        I think that it is about time to start boating!
                        Hi Karl.
                        I would think so. Looks as you have done a major overhaul and now time to do the San Juans in gunk holing for sure.
                        She is sure looking nice and geared up for a long trip even local.
                        Why to go Karl !!!
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

I have a 16' 1958 Waconda, looking for any info. found out the were made in Colville,Wa. till 1984 than made by the Yakima Indian nation till 1988. there are no seats so looking for a set of some type on older low profile seats I can glass in

Comment

Just finished getting my Robert's 10' mini-craft running. Now starting work on a 12' Enduracraft by Dorsett. If anyone knows about the enduracraft by Dorsett I'd like to find out more. All I know is that it's 12' long and supposedly made in 1965.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Oneuglynerd View Post
                              Just finished getting my Robert's 10' mini-craft running. Now starting work on a 12' Enduracraft by Dorsett. If anyone knows about the enduracraft by Dorsett I'd like to find out more. All I know is that it's 12' long and supposedly made in 1965.
                              Wow. This shows up at the point in my life that I am about to sell most of my boats. Finally got to that point (almost 73) were its hard to work and enjoy them.
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

Working...
                              X