Prop Change - what do you think?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop Change - what do you think?

1951 CC Racing Runabout I obtained from lady who got a divorce settlement. She knows nothing about the boat. Zero. Engine block number shows it as 1970-72 400 SBC but it has upgraded heads, manifold, and 750 Edelbrock. Original motor produced 245-265 HP. Guessing I now have 300 or so. Maybe more. Cam? Who knows. Current damaged prop is 13 x 13. Seems light to me given the original Hercules produced 158HP at 3400 rpm max and had 13x16.5. Not knowing how the boat performed with the 13x13 leaves me practicing veterinary medicine. Wondering about obtaining a 4 blade 13x13. I can always try the damaged prop but it’s not going to perform properly in any case. Struggling with what to do. Experienced opinions please.

When it comes to props, its a crap shoot.
    Even powering new boats, the marine companies will bring several props to make sure that you do not over rev the engine and still get WOT (wide open throttle)
    If we had anyone that even sold them, they would able to give more information that I could.

I remember going though almost same issue on my Kona hull go faster boat. I went from the small block one of the first strokers to a Chrysler hemi engine.
    I had gone nuts with it, blower, nitro, the whole deal. Its been too long ago for me to remember the details of it but the boat had a Vdrive, full trim board.

By the time I got the best performance prop on it, it took me a six pack of beer just to get behind the wheel of the thing.

I had too much motor, to much prop in to little of boat. I propped her back were it was not quite as scary and sold it.

Not knowing that boat or hull design some pictures might help.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
    X