Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Harbor Cruise??

Hi everyone!

I'm currently in Dutch Harbor Alaska working and thought you all might enjoy some pictures of area. I walked around and took some photos of the fishing fleet and local dock.

For those who may not know, Dutch Harbor is the largest fishing port in the nation processing about 800 million pounds of pollock in a year. The plant I'm working at is capable of running up to three million pounds of pollock in a single day. It really is amazing seeing these plants running at full speed.

This area is where they film the Discovery channels "Deadliest Catch" every year. Everything up here on land and water takes a serious beating. We had over 100mph winds the second day I was out here.

Hope you enjoy the pics. Will post more in a few days when there's snow back on the mountains. Its a beautiful area in the winter.

For all you Deadliest Catch fans the boat on the right in the above pic is the Cornelia Marie (Capt Phil Harris).

Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Mark

Awesome pictures. Thanks. B

Comment

Cool! I've worked on couple of those. The guys on the Arctic Lady cook one hell of meal! They had us come in on a Saturday to work OT and fed us. The only crew that ever did that. Here's some pic's of the Arctic Lady on drydock and the Sea Dawn tied to our dock after completion of work on drydock in Troutdale, OR

Dick Johnson
      1989 16ft Sylvan (Bought it New)
      '57 Evinrude 18hp
      '61 Johnson 5.5hp LS
      '72 Johnson 6hp
      '61 Homelite 55 Shortshaft
      '65 Homelite 55
      '68 Bearcat 55 (3)
      '70 Bearcat 55 (1)

Comment

Thanks Mark, Pretty cool pictures. I had a chance to work on a boat up there in 1967 but the military got me first.
        Greg James

Comment

Mark,
          5 minutes after reading this and seeing the pics ,my phone rang from a guy up in Alaska lurking Seattle`s Craigslist and wanting more info.
          He said he was in Homer.....I thought it was a joke.If he follows thru on Friday and I get to go drop off at AkMarine Lines then maybe my wife will be laughig too!
          Enjoy the warmth ,it will turn back to winter very soon.

Here`s a Seattle shot of the North American and of the Time Bandit in Drydock.Not much in the water when they`re at sea as you can see.10` of fraft in 20`-30` Seas doesn`t seem possible.
          TimM
          Seattle
          Attached Files
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Only the boats have changed... I have to find some of the early WWII photo's my dad took when he was busy getting shot at while taking areial spy photos of the Japanese Installations in the aleutians.
            ChuckB
            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Dick- I've had the same experience with the fisherman and processing plant operators out here. Nicest guys you'll ever meet. Neat seeing those boats out of the water like that. Thanks for the pics to both you and Tim!

Chuck- Would love to see the WW2 photos if you can dig them up. There are still many things left over from the military out here. Old barracks and buildings, some still standing others not so much... A lot of the lookouts and bunkers are still there. Many with large bullet holes still showing.

Here are a few more pics.

Mark
              Silverdale, WA.
              1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Hey Mark! Growin' cheek warmers eh?

Comment

I arrived clean shaven and stuck out like a sore thumb...
                  Mark
                  Silverdale, WA.
                  1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Thank you for all the pictures of Dutch Harbor, It's a place I always wanted to visit. I would like to go sometime in the summer kayak the shorelines and hike in the interior. I don't think I'm tough or young enough to work up there. When it gets nasty I want to leave and get warm and safe.
                    1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                    1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                    1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

memories

Mark, thanks for the pictures. I haven't been in Dutch since 1976. It sure looks a lot more built up than when I was there last. No bridge to Unalaska or shipyard back then, but the Elbow Room was the main attraction.
                      Blaine

Comment

Working...
                      X