Help! Again I seek help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Again I seek help!

Decided to buy a dinghy so I don't scratch Rosario's bottom on pebbly beaches. Seriously looking for a couple of weeks. Found one today that Becky and I both like. It is 7 feet long, will take an outboard to 3 hp., has a center seat for rowing as well as stern and bow seats with flotation under them. Light to carry and the price doesn't seem bad. However, it is made of plastic and has some deep scratches on the bottom as well as one pretty serious gouge.
    The name on the boat is Modular or Modulus. Have Googled both and found nothing.
    Not knowing what kind of plastic it is (but it sure isn't fiberglass), I'm wondering if 1. There is some material I can fill the gouge and scratches with and 2. Is there a hard finish that might be put on the bottom so putting it on the beach isn't going to destroy it?
    Ideas? Or a nice little dinghy for sale for under $100?
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

um, plastic.

I've had a little experience 'fixing/reconstructing' plastic parts with more successes than failures. It's going to be a trick on a hull. The flexibility of the plastic putting stress on any bonds you form, and the bonds themselves would be tricky. The best bonds are thermal but those can be difficult to control.

If the hull is really rigid, it might be worth a try. But if it's got much flex at all, it could be a can of worms.

I dunno', best of luck,
    '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

2 part epoxy

I believe there are some two part epoxys that can repair plastics. For $100 it seems it would be worth the education. If it breaks you can fix it and share the knowledge. I it doesnt work out than you can save somebody $100 down the line. John

Comment

there is a method to repair them, my brother, knows a guy that repairs kayaks (the work is guaranteed so there is a definite method) and has a contract with the Oregon dept of transport to do their plastic welding, repairs, etc etc

so there is a way

Comment

Oops. Think I missed out on the plastic dinghy. Told the owner I was concerned about repairing plastic and he told me to go buy a new dinghy and hung up on me! Well, win some and lose even more!

Comment

Jerry ,
            You are looking at possibly a "Waylander" Product from Marysville I believe.
            I sold some and saw the stickers coming off before they were sold or even wet.They should be Polyethylene like a Holding or Fuel tank.
            Good to use for awhile but never hope to repair or paint one unless a test is done first.
            I`d say friends don`t let friends buy a Waylander dinghy.
            I have some nice SS half-round perfect for any twin hull dinghy you find,these will really extend the life if beaching it.
            Your`s if you need them.
            I sold an 8` yesterday to cover my Diver`s Bill on the Seafair.
            Also note the difference in capacity of the 7+8+9` boats.....a 20-40 lb more of weight will yield a bunch more than that in capacity.A 7` really is small when launching......not much "Rake" at the front which gives you wave shedding ability while staying dry.
            TimM
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Thanks Tim. Doesn't look like I'll be getting the Modular or whatever it is. Probably just as well. Wish I had taken some pics as we thought it really is cute. However, not much freeboard but figure just use it to get us to beach and back to Rosario in pretty calm weather. Was quite happy with the Sportyak until I saw this one. Really don't want to go much over 7 feet long as figure it would look funny to pull a 10 foot dinghy behind a 17 foot boat. If I were going to go that way, I could just tow my 12 foot aluminum. Suppose we should stay away from plastic but it was so light for an old man and a small wife to pick up and tote. First "boat" I ever owned was a 6 foot plywood pram that I fished pothole lakes of E. WA for several years. Bought it new from a lumberyard for $35 unfinished! Okay, that was in the early 60's.
              Jerry

Comment

Working...
              X