Boating in Thailand

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boating in Thailand

Hi everybody, Susie and I are leaving for Thailand this Sat. on vacation and much of our travel will be done on there rivers and waterways. We will be on guided tours aboard long tailed boats which are 15 to twenty ft. long usually with inboard v8 engines and a long drive shaft to the prop. They say these boats really move and have practicly no draft. We did the same sort of cruzing in Viet Nam two years ago but the engines were like something you would find on a roto tiller with a top speed of about 10 mph so this should be a little more exciting. We will take lots of pictures. Maybe I can rent one.
    Greg James

We were hosted in Bangkok by some former students about 20 years ago. We took a tour of some canals in those long tail boats. We got into smaller and smaller canals until we beached at a little shack. The boatmen went to a fellow and traded our payment for some white powder in a plastic bag. We were pretty afraid since in Thailand you get a speedy trial....and execution....for drug dealings.

Have a great time!
    1959 Sande Ace with a conglomeration of Cloud White Mercury 4-cylinder parts.
    http://www.sandeace.com

Comment

Wally, That would really spoil a nice trip.
      Greg James

Comment

Wally, Thanks for the heads up.
        Greg James

Comment

Thailand Long Tail Boats

WOW! SOunds like a great trip! I've heard nothing but great stories about Thailand.

I became aware of long tail boats at the World's Fair. What World's Fair was that? Must have been Spokane 1974! Wow, how time flys.

Might have been a Thai exhibit...? Anyhow they had quit a bit of info and movies about the long tail boats. Most had six cylinder inline car engines sitting on a swivel gimbal on the transom with an outboard style tiller and throttle. The prop shaft stuck out the back some 8 to 10 feet. These boats did 20 to 30+ MPH.

I'd be interested in seeing your photos. Want to know if the prop shaft is contained in a tube with a bearing? If not, how they prevent the propshaft from whipping. ALso photo details of the gimbal.

Would be kinda fun to build one of these.

Have a great trip!

McSkagit
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Sa-wat-dii Kha
            (hello) female
            (hello male is Sa-wat-dii Krup

I love Thailand and the Thai people. I've spent little time in Bangkok preferring the smaller outer villages. Most of my visit have been to Phuket,staying at Kata Rock beach as my base to venture out.

di-chan pai duuay dai-mai kha?

(Loosely translates can I go too)

Have fun.

Melanie
            1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Melany, We will be in Phuket and staying at Kata Rock beach the last week of our time in Thailand. I've heard nothing but good things about Phuket.
              Greg James

Comment

Greg,

I would like to recommend Mom Tri's Boathouse Wine and Grill. Great service, right on the beachand fantastic wine selection. Lobster Gung is another favorite for grilled or steamed rock lobster.Although nearly all the hotels put out buffets.The 1st pic is from my room I rent and is just a few steps from the restarant ,the next is Boathouse and last is my table there.Hope you have a great and safe trip.

Melanie
                Attached Files
                1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Working...
                X