New to Forums Skagit 20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forums Skagit 20

Hello all, I'm new here. Actually new to posting on a forum..... I've been working on a skagit 20 that isn't new to this group. It was previously owned by a member here in Victoria. He had documented some work that he did to replace the floor and transom. I've since undone all but the transom work. (Don't fiberglass to painted surfaces)
    I've re Gelcoated the cabin and decks in the proper red/white (Stripping paint off interior surfaces really sucks BTW)
    Redone the floors with two part flotation foam.
    Re glassed all interior surfaces with two layers of glass. Knytex biaxial and wide roving set in West system epoxy.
    New door and frame
    Stay tuned for: New upholstery, 2018 Merc 90hp, Sea Dek flooring?
    This is the boat as i bought it.  Every surface was painted white. inside and out. trim and all. windows were painted black Stripped and re-gelcoated upper half.
Hull stripping in the works. Old sub floor was styrene foam. this added nothing but flotation in the event of sinking.  Water was also getting trapped under floor New two part foam. No water is getting in there New cabin bulkhead and doorway.  this new door has a lip to keep water out of the cabin Re Glassing the hatch cover. This got just one coat of wide roving in epoxy

Welcome.
    I have been wondering where this Express boat went. I wonder where they all go actually.
    It's looking good.

Curious (not judging) why you added more roving to everything? Was the hull structurally weak or compromised? Or just freshening up 60 year old resin? I've thought about this a lot but didn't want to add even more weight to the overall hull. I feel like I've added a lot already on my restoration.

Comment

Hi Kelly, I know that adding glass to the interior is adding weight. however I think its negligible compared to the amount of structural integrity I'm adding. IMHO these boats weren't made very strong. Fairly thin layups when compared to modern boats. Plus as you say the resin is 60 years old and perhaps more brittle than it once was. Heck I'm only 40 years old and feel more brittle than I once was........ After spending weeks re gel-coating the decks, when I walked on them I heard light cracking. As well my hatch wouldn't support my 200lbs without breaking. Then there was the large amount of grinding that I did to remove two layers of paint. Once I was done the walls were a mess. I thought the best answer was to get it back to a factory looking texture with the roving. All said and done I estimate two and a half gallons of product. Lets say a gallon of epoxy weighs 10lbs liberally, plus mat, maybe another 10lbs. That's less than 50lbs to greatly strengthen the cabin and whole hull. I can now comfortably stand on the roof without any cracking sounds. Plus I thought what the heck I've gone this far anyway. with the floor and bulkhead out there was no better time to do it.

Comment

I understand your rationale and thought about doing the same thing. I did add some cabin roof supports to remove some flex near the hatch and will add two more before I'm done and ready to paint.
        You have a unique 58 Express for sure... probably one of the last before the design change for 59.
        Glad to have you aboard and looking forward to your progress updates.

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Working...
          X