Skookum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skookum

Just wanted to introduce myself as the owner of a '57 Bell Boy which we recently acquired. I've been looking for a Bell Boy for several years in Washington State, but found one right here on Vancouver Island. It has a history, as does every other '57 Bell Boy, but the most recent part of the story is that it's been sitting in storage for three years after being used and loved continuously prior to being sidelined. It was owned by a fellow whose brother-in-law and he enjoyed it until his boating partner died and he was unable to face going solo.

The boat was in great shape until it was in storage where a snowfall crushed the 'pillar' between the two front windows and wrecked the mahogany dash. The window gasket has come off and the canvas no longer attaches properly at the front, but the previous owner made some attempts to straighten things out. What it needs is to have the support rebuilt and re-fiberglassed, and then the windows will need to have new gaskets and may need to be replaced altogether. Then we'll re-do the dash and the other water damaged areas and she truly will be Skookum- the name we re-christened her as soon as she arrived at her new home. My son has rewired the whole thing, the Evinrude V4 90 hp had been winterized and was brought back to life immediately and with the addition of a few electronics we have already been able to enjoy fireworks on the water and a couple of short trips. Despite the jiggly window (which has been jerry rigged until we can get to the real repair) it's a wonderful boat and we're planning to do some marine camping when my husband has a week off later this month.

I'm hoping to get some inspiration and some direction on doing the repairs from those of you who are old hands, but meanwhile we'll be taking a look at all the other boats that are being brought back to life.
    Attached Files

Welcome, I,m sure you'll find good advice and help here, we have a lot of members who share their expertise with those of us who are less experienced.

I hope you can make it down for an event in the future.

Tim

Comment

Great looking Bellboy, I like the green. It's great you can use it while the repairs are in progress. Have fun with it.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Welcome Skookum

Welcome to NWCBC. Great looking Bell Boy and I'm also partial to green.
        Great name too! Hope to see you and Skookum on the waters in and around the San Juans and Gulf Islands.

Tim
        Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Bell Boy

What a terrific 18' Bell Boy express! Great find...and nice to see photos here on the NWCBC message board.

If you're interested in the idea, maybe you could organize (or suggest) a gathering of club boats somewhere in B.C. waters for next summer....maybe somewhere in the Gulf Islands, which are fairly easy to reach for many of our Northwest U.S. members...(?) (We love boating in British Columbia, and would like opportunities for more members to discover the great backwaters of B.C.)

Here's a smaller '57 Bell Boy we restored a few years ago, just fyi.

- Marty
          Attached Files
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
          X