Round Bainbridge next stop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Round Bainbridge next stop

Saturday, August 29 – ‘Round Bainbridge Cruise, in central Puget Sound, starting with a rendezvous in Eagle Harbor (Winslow) and continuing to Miller Bay, Port Madison and Blake Island State Marine Park, before returning to our respective launch ramps. (Nice thing about this event is that you can launch at so many different locations and participate: Edmonds, Ballard, West Seattle, Manchester, Brownsville or, of course, the starting place in Eagle Harbor.)
    Starting Point?
    I was chatting briefly with Marty about maybe starting at Miller Bay since people can sit on the beach rather than go around in circles for an hour waiting for others to arrive. We will finalize that choice soon. Added note: The tides are great in the afternoon in the bay and maybe too low until around 11 am so that option might not work as well as staying with the Eagle Harbor start.

Camping option at Miller Bay. Our extended family owns the medium sized sandspit at the entry of Miller bay where boats stopped last year for lunch. There is a large sandy flat area at the end of the sandspit where people could camp either Friday or Saturday night. If you maquest Miller Bay you will see the sandspit on the let/west side of the bay. The entire sandspit is owned by our family so there is no issue of sharing it with other random campers. This sandspit is a mother nature special with no water or facilities on the sandspit. There is city water at the various family houses on the property. I will be at our house that does have standard plumbing but it is a short walk down the beach .

Boats could be pulled up on the beach most of which is sandy not rocky and let the boats sit overnight within 30 feet or closer of where you could camp. Anchoring in front of the property is limited due to the channel configuration but there are pockets further in the middle of the bay where one could anchor as well. Low tide is supposed to be .67 feet at 7am on Saturday morning and .52 on Sunday morning. Thus one should not expect to get off the beach very early. I am told by my brother that there is a large deeper pocket inside the bay where several boats could anchor overnight without problems.

One of the advantages of Miller Bay is that the large mudflats at the entry of the bay (extending to Indianola on one side and part way to Suquamish on the other side) is that the water is much warmer than most of Puget sound. The bay itself is very sheltered so small boats could play in the bay if Puget Sound off Bainbridge gets rough. It is a easy run over to Port Madison or Poulsbo as well but Agate Pass can get choppy. The sandspit makes a great beach for water skiing, wakeboarding or anything else wet. There are no stores nearby unless you walk to Suguamish about a mile away.

Boat Ramps on Kitsap Peninsula.
    Kingston is just around the corner. – large boat ramp and parking.
    Brownsville. Eagle Harbor/Winslow.
    Miller Bay – there is a smaller private ramp linked to Bay Marina that is ok except at lower tides. The owner is part of the Glasspar G3 club so is supportive of this type of event. Very limited parking (but a smaller trailer could be parked at our property unless the grassy area gets muddy. The driveway and parking would be a challenge for a larger boat.)

Tides at Pt Jefferson
    Saturday 29 7 am low is .67
    Saturday 29 3:00 high 9.5
    Saturday 29 8:00 low 7.29
    Sunday 8:07 am low is .52

Pictures
    One picture is entrance to bay with the larger sandspit on the other side. View is toward Indianola and Pt Jefferson. Second picture is looking further into the bay and the end of the large sandspit. Our sandspit is to the left outside the picture margin. The bay is relatively medium sized large with lots of room for boats to play around.
    More information will be added.
    Email: Willapabay@msn.com
    Attached Files
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Bruce, I like you idea of meeting at Miller Bay and not going in circles. Last year Sheila and i went from Edmonds sling to Eagle Harbor ( to meet up with everyone ) and then back to the northend of Bainbridge Island. To me it was a lot of back tracking of time and gas. How about like you said , Miller Bay,Poulsbo and Blake Island via west side of BI? Port Madison i also felt it was a waste of time even a few people in the Port Madison Bay where yelling at us to slow down ? We were going slow as it was. I like the camping idea ( on boat or land ) sounds interesting. Another reason i would like to do this outing again is to complete what i could not do because of motor problems last year. Best,Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Round Bainbridge third option

Another option is to meet at Eagle Harbor and go from there to Blake Island. Then up west side of Bainbridge (swinging through Poulsbo if time permits) then through Agate Pass past Suquamish and on to Miller Bay. We would arrive in Miller Bay when there is enough water for easy beach mooring and running around the bay without any worries. This would end the day with an easy run to Brownsville, Kingston, Edmonds or Shilshole for people going those directions. It would also be a good stopping point for anyone wanting to camp out. I would skip Pt Madison - it is a very interesting spot but takes alot of time poking along.

The lower tide on Sunday morning would allow clamming within spitting distance of the where people could camp. It has been a very good clam beach for generations. A minus tide would be better but .52 is relatively low. Crabbing was often good but I am basing that on past experience and lower tides when we simply waded in the shallow areas with a rake or net.

For those who like to know where channels go at lower tides - the main channle is closer to the large sandspit and then branches to go along both shores of both the large and little sandspit. Thus at out sandspit the shoreline where we parked boats last year is relatively steep. The very end of the sandspit is extends into a sand/mud flat that is shallower. At very low tides the section between the end of the two sandspits is above water. At the lowest tides you can walk from one sandspit to the other in essentially knee deep water.
      Bruce H. Drake
      1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Bainbridge Island ???

We took the Club Mariner on a test run at Whiskeytown. It ran great, I raised the motor 1.5 ". and will will the windshield and instrumatation in.

Robyn and I have questions about next weekend. Where is a good launch point coming from the south. I have been checking the posts and not very good luck googling them. We plan on staying at a motel Friday night near there.

PLZ help. Sorry, we are insecent planners on trips.

Looks like the weather shjould be great.

More later Tom & Robyn
        Attached Files

Comment

Launch Ramp

Tom;
          Shilshoal Bay is the most direct as Eagle Harbor is SW about 6 miles and is relatively easy to find and can be used in low tides, and is relatively inexpensive at $6.00. All the Seattle ramps will be busy as the Pinks and Silvers are running. I'll be launching at Shilshoal early to do some fishing in Elliot Bay, Dolphin Pt or Jefferson Head before everyone else launches, except for maybe Tim Mattson...
          Chuck B.
          "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Tom...

Glad to hear your Mariner is up and running...mines getting close...

West Seattle has a nice ramp right off Harbor Blvd and about 5 mins off I-5 and a stones throw from my place...

That'll put you right in Elliot Bay midway between Shilshole and Blake Island...I have a launch/parking pass you can use if you want as I'll be busy working on my Club Mariner trying to get ready for Baker Lake...

...Ric
            '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
            '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
            '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

Hi Tom, I get the impression you might want to come up highway 16 from Tacoma being you came up I-5 from Oregon ? There is a ramp at Winslow ( Eagle Harbor ) on Bainbridge Island. Not to far from where we will meet up.Bruce might know of more ramps in his area of Miller Bay. Best,Chuck

Comment

I think Carol and I will launch at Eagle Harbor and just head for wherever we are supposed to meet up.
                As far as beaching for lunch, I think do to the wifes bad hip that we will just anchor out and Bob around until others are finished.
                I do have the radio and would be on channel 69 as I think that is the one that the club uses for the most part.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Bruce, I even like your other option in meeting at Eagle Harbor ( Bainbridge Island ) and going south to Blake Island first and then thru Rich Passage over by Bremerton up the west side of BI to maybe Poulsbo and on to Miller Bay later. Chuck

Comment

Round Bainbridge - start at Eagle Harbor

The Eagle Harbor to Blake Island to west of Bainbridge and on to Miller Bay option was Marty's suggestion and makes the most sense given the tides and relatively central starting point of Eagle Harbor. Let's use that option and let people plan their logistics with Eagle Harbor as the start point.
                    Bruce H. Drake
                    1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

From the south

Tom & Robyn

I'm coming from the south too. We live on Fox Island (just south of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge) and we are planning on putting in on the west side of Puget Sound at Pomeroy County Park. It's northeast of the City of Port Orchard. I don't have first hand experience with the launch, but that's my plan.

Anyone know this ramp?

-Zachary

Comment

'Round Bainbridge

We'll plan to launch in Eagle Harbor (Winslow) at the public ramp west of the ferry terminal; the only downside is that parking is limited and we may have to walk a few blocks from where we park the van and trailer. (Not a big deal; Winslow is pretty quiet early Saturday, so street parking will be available not far from the ramp.)

Tom and Robyn, since you're coming from the south another option for you would be the ramp at Manchester, WA, not far from Highway 16 (northbound from the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, turning off before you get to Port Orchard). From Manchester you have a short run across to Blake Island, where you could rendezvous with the rest of us. Another good ramp is at Brownsville Marina, near Silverdale and just opposite the west shore of Bainbridge Island...but then you'd have to run south to rendezvous with others, and backtrack, etc.) I'd opt for Manchester in your situation, since you can get to that ramp far quicker than driving all the way to Eagle Harbor, Bainbridge Island.

- Marty and Mo
                        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Round Bainbridge - start time & delete camping option

Start time:
                          Plan on a 10:30 start time in Eagle Harbor. If you are not sure if you can be there by 10-10:30 you could head directly to Blake Island. There is a sandy beach at the north-west corner past a sandy point. Don't go to the marina on the island since it will be crowded etc.

Camping option on Miller Bay nixed by relatives.
                          One of the advantages and disadvantages of a summer place started in 1890 is that by now there are a zillion relatives with opinons on property use. Since there are no facilities on the sandspit the owners group asked that there be no overnight camping. Sorry about that. Parking on the beach in the afternoon for as long as you want is just fine. Several people remember the group from last year with very good memories. So one and all are welcome.

After Tuesday I have no email, internet, and probably no cell phone that is dependable. I expect Marty or others can answer any questions that get posted.
                          Bruce H. Drake
                          1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Bruce, I don't know if i will stay overnight , but some members could call Poulsbo to see if they have room at the marina. Chuck

http://portofpoulsbo.com/reservations.htm

Comment

Anyone have experience with the Manchester ramp or the Eagle Harbor ramp. I'm looking at the tides (about 1ft @ 9am) and wondering if we'll be able to put in at either place.

Thanks -Zachary

Comment

Working...
                              X