Round Bainbridge next stop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launch Ramps

The ramps at Manchester and Eagle Harbor can both be used at low tides.

So can the ramps at Brownsville and Kingston, if you're weighing the various west-side ramp options.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Lodging n plans

We earned a free night at holiday inn and plan on using in Poulsbo Friday night. More than likely we will be staying there Sat night too unless someone has a better Idea. I figure the event will be too late to drive back that night 5 to 6 hours.

That being the case we launch at Eagle harbor. That looks like the closet.

Comment

Bainbridge

Hey all,and yes chuck ,I`ll be on the pond before most stir thier first cup of coffee.
        Add West Pt. as another place for late Kings and some early silvers plus the bounty of Pinks jumping all over the place.
        The Charter boats are creaming them with multiple hook-ups using smaller dodgers and pink squids.
        We caught a couple Kings mid-day off of Yeomalt Pt. which is just a few miles south of the opening to Miller Bay.Another big king came aboard yesterday at West Pt,right around Noon too!
        These waters haven`t been open in late summer for Kings for many seasons.Some real nice action has been going on with maybe a dozen boats at a "busy" spot.Put in 3 -4 hours and you should see a bite or two.Use good hooks and you will get a Salmon or two.

The smoked stuff should be a sure thing too as we will be scouting the sound this week for more action.
        Might be a good week to plop some Crab pots.
        Seattle Launch options:
        Elliott Bay will be closed for Kings this weekend so the launches won`t be so crowded.
        The Duwamish river in South Seattle(1st ave and Michigon) is freshwater and trailer friendly but no dock,and steep.....hence the free price.
        West Seattle,Don Armeni Ramp, has a dock but no breakwater and is very salty on the rig and trailer from the Ferry wave action.
        Shilshole has the best protected and closest ramp from the Seattle side.Does see some lines as fishing will still be open in these waters.
        The Locks(need 2 longer dock lines in case the large locks are used) could be an interesting journey,and is free again.Free launch in freshwater about a mile in from Locks in Ballard at 14th st.
        See you all out there.
        Tim M
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, That is my main concern now, trying to get launched from Edmonds as GregJ told me there will hundreds trying to launch there boat there ( a lineup down the street ) and Everett will not be any better ?????? Drive around to the west side thru Tacoma, It ONLY takes 1 hour from my house to the Tacoma dome and could be in Bremerton area within 2 hours. Hum...Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Launching...

Chuck -

Sounds like Shilshole or West Seattle might be your best options, overall, since you never know how long it'll take to go through the Locks.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Last Year's 'Round Bainbridge Run...

Just fyi, here are some random shots from last year's 'Round Bainbridge Run. The unusual green-green water is off of Blakely Rock, south of Eagle Harbor on the east side of Bainbridge. (We'll go right past the Rock on our way to Blake Island Saturday morning, and the tide will be low enough to see this view of the shoal off the west side of Blakely Rock.)

- Marty
              Attached Files

Comment

Launching Tactics 101

As a fisherman who launches as early as 3:45 AM to dodge the slower larger craft (who never seem to get prepped before sprawling across the launch lanes),I`d like to point out some ways around the masses.
                The Lull between Sunrise and 9 AM is a good slot to swoop in and launch right before the cranky,tired fisherman who underlsep,overfished and then leave early thinking the day is over.......I`ve been known to oversleep,launch late and then arrive to the proper place as the fish "Bite is on."
                The first parking spot or two opens up as you launch as the first guy or two returns with a limit of fish.
                If you can time the launching right,then the wait should be minimal and a sweet parking spot should open up as you get wet.(This also works on the 4th of July,some fish until dark ,then leave right at sundown).
                Wait until 10 am or so and the retrievals will be lined up.......not good.
                Figure a 30 minute run from West Seatttle to Miller Bay and half that from Shilshole.The Locks could take as little as 15 minutes so the freshwater ,peaceful ramp we use on Opening Day is still a nice option with easy parking,and is free.
                1st ave is the same deal but NO DOCK....a board for the keel is nice when boarding.A 10 minute troll down the river and your off to Miller Bay from the West Seattle side.
                Still not too crowded as we once saw 10-20 years ago.
                We used to line up to Salty`s in West Seattle,1 mile of trailers solid.
                Haven`t seen a line longer than 5 boats this past two years.
                I refuse to pay to dunk my trailer in salt so I`ll be up the river for sure.
                Thinking of bringing the SAFE boat along for a shoreboat,the Alum bottom would be nicer if the tide goes way out,the lower sides could help some others reach shore.If we have enough Crab punchcards,I could load up with Crab Rings and pots if anybody wants or needs.I just got a Twin Hull dinghy with SS keel strips that would also make a good beach boat.I lack oars for it as of now.....but if someone want to crab from the shore,let me know and we`ll filler up.
                I also have some extra Salmon Gear for those wanting to test their luck and maybe feed the crew with some Fish.
                Tim M
                Attached Files
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, Thank you very much for all the great imformation. I am thinking of launching Fri. night at Edmonds when the pressure is off the sling, mouring over night and going humpy fishing real early Sat. mourning. My tow vehicle seams to have a mind of it's own about starting so if I figure that out I might see you early Sat. mourning.
                  Thanks again'
                  Greg J
                  Greg James

Comment

I talked to the Port of Edmonds about if there would be a problem on Sat at 8 am. Told me most of those fishing guys will be going out at 6 am getting fish crap all over their boats by the time Greg and i will be launching. lol Costs 35.00 for the sling with a bunk trailer. They will earn there $$'s launching the Farallon. GregJ told me i was out of my mind if i was thinking of taking the G-3 to Bainbridge outing. Hum...Chuck

Comment

Calm water of late

Chuck,
                      The water has been super calm around the Mid-sound of late,the G-3 would only be scary crossing certain Tug and Freighter waves.
                      If you plan on launching at 8 am ,I`d put that $35.00 in the gas tank and launch in the freshwater and go thru the Locks.......Both large and small have been open of late so waits are not too long unless a barge is in everybodies way.
                      The Seafair throngs are gone and only the savy boaters are out there now.
                      You`ll still have some water to travel coming from up north but the sling is nice for obvious reasons.
                      There have been serious scumlines with the recent minus tides and little wind.
                      I should be at Yeomalt Pt. circling for Kings at the point or will be at West Pt doing the same if debris makes it too tough to troll at Bainbridge Island.
                      Hope to see some others try for a fish or two as well.
                      It has really picked up for pinks.200 plus were counted each day at Shilshole last weekend,almost 3 per boat was the norm.
                      Troll gear ,cover ground and good things will happen.
                      TimM
                      SeaRay 175BR
                      Hi-Laker lapline
                      14` Trailorboat

Comment

Might Make it

Might make it Saturday. Might just skip it and go fishing though. The wife is out of town so she might not like me going to a first meet without her...

Water around Blake was pretty calm last weekend, except in the afternoon. It got pretty choppy Saturday (made for a slow ride back from Bremerton in the Marathon).

Anyone thinking of launching out of Poulsbo - wait til 9 or 9:30 then there should be enough water to get out of the marina. At low tide there isn't much at the ramp or when heading out. I had to row out once...
                        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                        Past Affairs:
                        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Tim, Thanks for some idea's on launching the Farallon at another dock. There is no way i would get out in the middle of the shipping lanes in the G-3 or a boat like that again. lol I was only kidding.I have never been to excited about crossing in the shipping lanes with the Freighter,Ferries and anything else. I do know if you want to go places on the other side you have to cross being carefull with water,wind etc conditions. Serious scumlines ? ? On the Farallons Hull ? No way ! Chuck

Comment

Ah come on Echo! I used to go skipping across the sound in my 15hp 11.5' Livingston! The g3 is much faster and larger than the livingston was.
                            I always waited for the freighters to fly over the wakes. i was only in my early 30's then though...
                            Ditto
                            "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." K. Grahame "The Wind in the Willows"

Comment

Round Bainbridge

Remember the starting point is Eagle Harbor not Miller Bay.
                              Bruce H. Drake
                              1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
                              1957 Norseman 19' woodie
                              1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
                              1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Meating at Eagle Harbor Launch

We will planning on getting to Eagle Harbor launch around 10 AM. Our Cell phone No is 541-961-3620.

Any good restaurants in the area? We are staying in Paulsbo Fri and Sat night.

Comment

Working...
                                X