new to forum 59 fiberform

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to forum 59 fiberform

Hi all I am new to forum. Long time boater first time owner. I just bought a 15 foot 1959 spokane with a 75 horse McCulloch. Not sure year of motor but It sorta runs and I think it has a short lifespan with me. The boat needs a little resto but excited to do that. I live in the Arlington area just about 30 mins north of Everett. I will post some pics soon and will take lots through out the resto process. Anyone want a 75 horse McCulloch???
    Jason Miller
    1959 15ft Fiberform Spokane,1980 18ft I/O Bellboy

Welcome to the club! Who wouldn't want a 75 hp. McCullock motor?
    Jerry
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Is it an air cooled chainsaw motor? I have one but it's more like 7.5 than a 75.

A.O.M.C. might want it.
      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Welcome...

Welcome to the message board; you'll have to post some photos of your new find.

I'd be interested in buying the 75 McCulloch, if and when you decide to part with it. You can call me at (360) 301-6737 weekdays, or e-mail Marty@islandboatshop.com

Thanks...

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

It just so happens I have a McCulloch 75 short shaft that is going on the 1959 14 Skagit Sporter. Should about fly
          Parts are available for it on the east coast last time I checked.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

75 McCuloch

You guys make it sound like I would be making a mistake to modernize if I sold the McCulloch. I am just a pup at 35 years of age and have been around the merc my whole life as that is what my dad still runs. I will be usung this boat on a regular basis and I just want a real reliable motor. It does run and have found a parts guy for it but I am just not sure if I should upgrade or not. A buddy of mine has a 85 Force with trim and controls that I can put on it just not sure after I read your posts.
            Jason Miller
            1959 15ft Fiberform Spokane,1980 18ft I/O Bellboy

Comment

McCulloch or Modern?

The question of whether to run with old or more contemporary outboards is something all of us are facing, all the time, and I doubt that you'll find a strong consensus on the subject, since it's largely a personal-choice matter.

At least symbolically, most everyone would secretly love to have a modern, reliable, fuel-efficient, clean-burning and quiet outboard hiding under a vintage outboard cowling--the best of both worlds--and, in fact, a number of us may do that very thing in the near future. Some folks feel it's bad form to run a newer outboard on a vintage boat, but most members of the Northwest Classic Boat Club are pragmatic and just want reliability...whether that comes with a spanking new eTec or a vintage Bearcat four-stroke.

There are a lot of pretty reliable older motors, but generally speaking the 1950-vintage engines that require a 24:1 gas-oil mix are smoky, stinky and perhaps a bit more crudely engineered than engines built between about the 1980's and present.

I'm no mechanic, but I'm running a totally refurbished 1953 Johnson 25 right now and I can tell you that it's a wheezy, leaky, noisy and stinky old beast. You have to be obsessed over "period-perfect" matches to prefer Old Smoky over a newer, smoother-running and more fuel-efficient outboard. (That's why I'm looking to switch to an engine built at least in the 1970s or 1980s, when improved ignition systems came into play, engines ran with a thinner 50:1 gas-oil mix, and they seemed to produce more horsepower and hull speed...partly because of improved prop design and other factors.)

With older engines, parts availability is always a concern. Joe mentioned there's some kind of source for McCulloch parts, but your old 75hp is obviously an outboard that's running out of the mainstream. Parts, and parts motors for OMC and Merc engines are more widely available, of course.

The Scott and McCulloch engines are of interest to some old-motor buffs because of their brilliant cowl designs. They really produced unique-looking motors that fit perfectly with boats of the period...and frankly that's what interests me in your 75hp outboard--the looks, more than the engine's mechanical brilliance (or mediocrity--I don't know which).

So there's no right answer to the old vs. new question. If you want reliability and all of the other virtues mentioned above, go with a somewhat newer outboard. If you just love the looks of the McCulloch, find a mechanic who's willing to work on it, and make sure the beast is semi-reliable before you take your family over the horizon in your new/old boat.

(By the way, if someone recommends that you take the engine to Norm Boddy in Edmonds, Norm only works on outboards 50hp and smaller...and he's been sharply cutting back on the number of jobs he can deal with lately.)

I don't know if any of this helps, but do whatever you want and don't worry about what others think, because the rest of us are at least as confused as you are regarding the old/new engine question.

- Marty
              Attached Files
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
              X