Baker Lake 9-19-09

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baker Lake 9-19-09

So here are some near final details about our rendezvous scheduled for Saturday September 19th.

Where: Horseshoe cove campground Group site "A", Baker Lake Washington
    When: 10 am Saturday September 19th 2009
    Why: We are boaters who like to go boating

So we are planning a "poker-run" of sorts, we will have at least 8 points of interest marked out around the lake. At each point you will collect a bit of information (thus proving you visited all the points) Upon your return to Horseshoe cove campground we will award prizes to the first few competitors. Dont worry, this will not be based on speed but on general boating knowledge as well. Thanks to my father and his connections with the generous folks at Boat Electric (http://boatelectric.com/) and Fisheries (http://www.fisheriessupply.com/) in Seattle we will have sponsored prizes to award to the winners. We will be providing two options to participants; you may choose the traditional "treasure map", or if you have a GPS system on board you may choose to use a list of coordinates to locate the 8 points.

After the completion of the "poker run" we will be having a potluck, so please try to bring a little something to contribute to the group. We are planning to pack our camping BBQ to provide a little space for anyone who wishes to grill up anything. We have reserved the group site "A" for the weekend, which has access to services and a BBQ pit.

We are planning to have at least 2 boats on patrol to help with any questions or concerns. As always, we will have a marine radio on at least 1 of the patrol boats to assist in any situations that may arise.

As always, if you don't have an operational boat at this time, come anyways! We will gladly find a spot in another boat for you enjoy the outing. As you all know by know, this group's motto is THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Driving directions:

From I-5 North or South take the Burlington / Anacortes (state route 20) exit #230. Follow State Route 20, The North Cascades Highway, heading East towards Sedro Wolley and Concrete to milepost 82. Go North (left) on Baker Lake Road for approximately 15 miles. Turn East (right) at Horseshoe Cove campground and follow signs to boat launch and or group site "A".

Hope to see you there!!!!

Happy motoring,

~Brian & Michele

PS: A fellow member has pointed out that the campground I was able to reserve does NOT have any docks. The resort with the little marine has shut down for ever as of Labor Day. So you will need to be prepared to beach your vessel or use an anchor and ferry system (I use a small anchor and one of our inflatable inner-tubes on a rope as a ferry) Sorry for the extra work.
    Attached Files
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Brian, Huh ? Being i don't play cards. Are we going to get cards at each location ? Is there a dock ? Chuck
    1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
    1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

So no cards, thought about it, but there are no docks and shore access is very limited especially in an inboard like ours. There will information on shore that you will be able to see and collect without getting into the shallows, unless of course you want to go ashore.
      Brian Flaherty

Comment

I am so bummed to have to miss this event! I committed to help run a Family Fun Day on Lake Tapps with the ACBS on Saturday and Cole has a race on Sunday. I hope this event runs smooth for you and turns into an anual event so I can come up an see your lake!
        BRIAN FRANCHINI
        LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Brian, Will see you Sat about 10AM.Who else has said they where coming to Baker. Chuck

Comment

Chuck and Brian,
            I still plan on coming with a 16 foot cabin boat. Gina found some nice cabin to stay at in Birch Bay so she won't be coming and who knows about Alex the dog he likes to sleep in. Good news I have room for two passangers now.
            Does anyone plan on spending the night? I will bring something for the potluck.

If it's just us few maybe we should just head NW for the salt chuck and see the Bar Tenders and their owners at Sucia.
            1956 Enduracraft Monterey
            1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
            1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

Lowell...

You wouldn't want to think about running out to Sucia--the marine forecast suggests strong winds through the San Juans this weekend, so we've cancelled our own plans to run the Luhrs across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to join the Bartenderistas. Might be way too rough out there--unless, of course, one owns a Bartender!

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I know this is Brian event, but i thought i would help to see how many more members might be coming that have not indicated yet. I know Brian has put a lot into this event ,so that is one reason i'am going , plus it is a nice setting for a meet. I do know of a few more that are coming. The weatherman said's the morning might have a few drops ,but the afternoon is to have some nice weather ! The first time i went to Baker Lake was in July and i was very impress with it. Reminded me of Lake Whatcom in some ways. I know of 5 boats that are coming so far. Anyone else ???? Chuck

Comment

Marty,
                  Thank you for the weather update, I hadn't got that far into thinking about going out to Sucia. I love it when the wind blows like that but only while in the sailboat. I will be going to Baker Lake, the sun, rain or wind won't keep me away. I hope you and Mo can make it to the Lake, there must be a running motor in your stack of goodies that will push the Slipper, I still have space for two crew members.
                  1956 Enduracraft Monterey
                  1976 Cal 2-27 Sailboat
                  1986 Mariner XL Seakayak

Comment

We will be there

Cheryl and I are heading up to Baker mid day today (1/2 day @ work ). We will be camping somewhere on the Lake. Look for the baby blue Seafair Sunliner (crabinator). Replaced the powerhead and she's runnin sweet! Will see everyone on Sat. at Horsehoe Cove. Happy boating to all!
                    Attached Files
                    Gordon and Cheryl Davies

Comment

Baker Lk

Was really hoping to have the Lee Craft in the water for this one but the impeller is still on back order for the Mercruiser. That being the case I will be attending a yearly sidecar event that just happens to be about 20 minutes away so I'm hoping to at least get out there and see what is going on sometime Sat. B

Comment

We are all set to go for this fun filled saturday!! The flags are set and the weather is suppossed to get better by mid day!!

Hope you all can make it, even if you dont have a running boat come on up we will gladly find you a ride. We reportedly have several people coming alone and they could always use some extra eyes..

Hope to you all in a few hours!!!

~Brian
                        Brian Flaherty

Comment

And we call ourselves a boat club?

It was a gorgeous day at Horseshoe Cove. Sun was shining, light breeze, 66 degrees. What was missing? The Northwest Classic Boat Club.
                          Becky and I caught the 11 ferry and headed up that way. Didn't see any boats coming out so we figured there was something going on. Got there and there was only one trailer at the ramp. There was no one in group camp A.
                          So we shot a picture to prove we were there and headed home.
                          Got back to Lummi Island at 6 p.m. It was still beautiful and just a ripple on the pond. Thought we might launch and join the Bartender group at Sucia. Then decided we couldn't get over and back and onto the trailer before dark so we bagged it for the day.
                          Hope someone got in some boating.
                          Attached Files
                          There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by Lootas1, post: 6503
                            It was a gorgeous day at Horseshoe Cove. Sun was shining, light breeze, 66 degrees. What was missing? The Northwest Classic Boat Club.
                            Becky and I caught the 11 ferry and headed up that way. Didn't see any boats coming out so we figured there was something going on. Got there and there was only one trailer at the ramp. There was no one in group camp A.
                            So we shot a picture to prove we were there and headed home.
                            Got back to Lummi Island at 6 p.m. It was still beautiful and just a ripple on the pond. Thought we might launch and join the Bartender group at Sucia. Then decided we couldn't get over and back and onto the trailer before dark so we bagged it for the day.
                            Hope someone got in some boating.
                            I am deeply sorry we missed you.. We met at the launch ramp in horseshoe cove at around 10 am, and waited there until nearly 2pm for the wind and rain to let up enough to go boating. Then moved the 5 boats to Kulshan campground which had a paved ramp. We were on the water until nearly 6 pm... I am really sorry about the mix up. We were running about 10 minutes late this morning so Lowel (sorry if misspelled) beat us to the ramp...

Again very sorry we missed you.

~Brian
                            Brian Flaherty

Comment

Sounds like we just missed you. We were at Horseshoe Cove at 2:10 and the Forest Service guy said you had left about a half hour before. I kept wondering why we hadin't seen any classic boats coming out as we must have been close to an hour from Sedro Woolley to the lake.
                              Anyhow, Brian and Michele, we hope you had a great outing as you certainly worked hard of setting it all up. It is a beautiful lake and maybe next year we will have a boat on the mainland and can try again.
                              Jerry and Becky
                              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Working...
                              X