Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another new guy from La Conner

Hello everybody,
    Just registered on the site so I'm feeling clumsy. I live in La Conner (liveaboard) and I'm happy to have a 1959 Wacanda Delta II. I need some help with repower questions... currently running a late 80's Evinrude 40 hp, seems underpowered for the boat (20~24mph max) and it certainly isn't vintage. I'm told the boat probably came with a 50hp Johnson but not too sure. Anybody familiar with the Wacanda line?
    Chuck
    Attached Files

I know nothing about the Wacanda line but it looks a little small for a liveaboard! Becky and I were in LaConner today for breakfast. Ran out 1957 Skagit Express down. We run a 1968 Evinrude 50 hp. It will run something over 30 mph which is plenty fast for us. In fact, since I'm cheap and hate feeding big horses that I don't need, I love the economy of smaller outboards. We burned 5 gallons from Lummi Island down and back.
    If you had posted yesterday, I would have liked to come over and seen the Wacanda. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable people in the club and someone will have some info on it.
    Welcome and don't feel concerned about posting. I've been a member since the club formed and I still don't know how to post.
    Jerry and Becky
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Waconda...

Chuck -

Hey, welcome to the forum...we hope to see you and your great-looking boat at a future event. (Speaking of which, how about trailering it down to Mason Lake this Saturday, for our last official on-the-water gathering of the year? It'll be a big one, with a terrific variety of classic boats...and some folks who can certainly help advise on your outboard-motor question.)

We don't know of other Wacondas in the club, so you may be a trailbreaker.

If you zero in on what you're looking for in terms of an outboard motor, you might want to run a free Outboard Wanted ad here on the message board's Classifieds section. Probably something in the 50-75 hp range would be great for your boat in terms of top speed and a nice, comfortable cruising speed.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hey there

Thanks for the input.... actually I live on my slightly larger 1971 55' Chris Craft Commander so it's not so bad.

The Wacanda is just for getting around town in style. I was thinking a 75hp might be pretty heavy but it is worth the research to find out. Where is the best source for vintage outboards and who made the most reliable ones in the late 50's early 60's?

Chuck
        Attached Files

Comment

I also live in the La Conner area. I live on Pleasant Ridge a couple miles out of town. The Wacondas were made in eastern Washington and I have been told that they are all fiberglass with very little wood. I have a 16ft Skagit with a 1967 Johnson 100hp. We all have different opinions on what motors to run. my phone # is 466-3045 Give me a call. Clint

Comment

Jerry, The 50hp Evinrude on Rosario is a 1986 not 1968, plus she was rebuilt in 2003. Are you coming Sat ? Even in just the car being the ferry is out of service ? Best,Chuck
            Attached Files
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

I know it's an 86. Just let my fingers get mixed up a bit. Won't make it to Mason. I'm too old and too rural for the drive down I-5 through Seattle and Tacoma and too cheap to take the ferry over to Port Townsend and have a pleasant drive down Hood Canal. Speaking of cheap, I didn't renew the "Skagit" license on the trailer so you might want to grab that one up. Also, keep wondering what you will do different on your present Express. Can't see how you could improve on Rosario. We just love it all -- boat, motor and trailer!
              Jerry
              There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

Originally posted by chuckcarey, post: 6664
                Jerry, The 50hp Evinrude on Rosario is a 1986 not 1968, plus she was rebuilt in 2003. Are you coming Sat ? Even in just the car being the ferry is out of service ? Best,Chuck
                I think Chuck is More than right on this one. Greg James has the same engine on his 17 skagit express and it will push them up to 30+mph.
                Its about the "only" engine (other than a new one) that I would pull the Bearcat off my transom and replace it with.
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

History of Wacanda Boats

If you haven't read about the history of Wacanda Boats, built in Colville, WA, here's the background:

http://www.freewebs.com/wacandaboats/history.htm

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Jerry, I have had about 931 idea's for the 58 Skagit "X" ( that why i call it that ) but still don't know what or when or if i will ever do anything. Right now i own it and that's about it. At least i still own a Skagit along with a burgee and hat. lol ! It needs everything, like floor,foam,transom,cabin floor, bulkhead and a whole lot more. That motor is one of the best i think Evinrude ever came out with. When i got the motor ( the 1983 one for GregJ Skagit ) back in 1995, i told myself if i ever sold it i would be looking for another motor just like that..and there she is, on your boat. Btw this is what the Rosario looked like ( on the trailer ) back in spring of 03. Still have a piece of glass in my finger from that blasted top ! Chuck

P.S. Idea # 285 ....Maybe everything all black with a black 150hp Merc ?...Hummmm
                    Attached Files

Comment

Chuck's new skagit.....

"The Shadow"
                      Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                      Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Jack, Hummm ....I like that name. Could outline the words in grey pinstripe against the black paint. Chuck ( The first )

Comment

Working...
                        X