Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BellBoy 404 Progress

Hi All:

Well, I am in the midst of sanding off all evidence of the Pettit Easypoxy red that I put on last summer. I just did not like my job and the paint was reported to lose its gloss quickly. So, this time I pulled all hardware and windows off the top side and, using an orbital sander with 80 grit paper, removed almost all of the red. It is slow and painstaking but I'm getting there. The sweltering heat out here on the east coast is not helping.
    I will put two coats of Interlux 404 epoxy 2-part primer on, sanding after each coat with 220 grit. Then, I will roll and tip two coats of Interlux Perfection Oyster White top coat. I think this paint comes closest to the original BellBoy gel coat, which was white with just a hint of yellow in it. I think this paint will work out better because it is a two part urethane that is much harder than a single part urethane.

More to come...

Best,

Bob.
    Attached Files

Great progress Bob, keep up the good work! :cool1:
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Interlux Perfection

Bob -

You'll be pretty happy with Interlux Perfection...and you're right, it's considerably more abrasion-resistant than the one-part polyurethanes.

Before applying, you might go to the Interlux website and read the tech-spec info on Perfection (more than what's on the label), in case the website has more details on the proper ratio of paint, reducer and hardener.

Have fun,

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I am thinking that I will be able to mix the 2:1 ratio without a reducer once the heat wave is over!!!. But, if the tipping brush begins to grab, I will be ready with the reducer!

Marty, with all of the compound curves and nooks on the top side, would you imagine that I will brush only in small tight spaces. I will roll and tip the large open panels but am unsure of what to do around the front cabin windows, for example...

"The red is out" and the BB is ready for priming...
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X