New Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project

Well, after a visit with Marty and looking at the nice 21 Express Cruiser he is restoring, and a starting out project of a 20 Skagit my wife and I figured we had a good handle on what size boat we wanted for our next project. So, low and behold, here is a ratty 18.5 Bell Boy 404 express on craigslist. So we go have a look but can't quite decide. The 21 is REALLY nice, but practically speaking, more boat than we have room for at our hose or want to haul around. So after examining pictures and discussing pros and cons, we decided that we would pick up the 404.

Tuesday evening my son Josh and I head down to Key Center to pick her up. After much wrangling of the truck and boat, we finally get it hooked up in the pit of a gravel driveway that it is sitting in. It took four wheel low just to get it out due to the steepness and gravel, but we made it clear. About 2 miles out, the squeaking of the bearings began... I pulled it over and kicked myself for forgetting the grease gun. But a nice friendly farmer type hooked us up, only to find that the right side wheel has a bearing buddy but the left doesn't. So we grease the right side and steel ourselves for a 20 mph trip back to poulsbo.

It was pretty good going with many stops to allow the bearing to cool, but at 20 the squeaking wasn't present so I was confident we could make it home. Well, we did! We got all the way to Poulsbo and at about 10PM and were just pulling up to the first stop sign in town when BAM! SCREEEEAAAAAPPPPEEEE! off went the right side wheel, spindle and all! The boat luckily didn't come off the trailer and I was able to pull it over to the side of the road a bit. I had my heavy duty floor jack with me so we hooked it up under the axel and dragged the boat off the main road and around into a residence.

Yesterday I was able to wrangle up a flatbed trailer and some help from a friend. Took us 2 hours to get it up on the trailer and secured. The last 2 miles to the house were over before we knew it and after much wrangling, she is now sitting where I usually park the Marathon, up on jack stands awaiting a new axle and springs, and wheels/tires. Ya, an unexpected expense, but at least its home.

Here is a shot on the trailer. She is really rough and needs a complete teardown on the interior. Obviously, that windshield doesnt' belong there and will have to go. From looking on the fiberglassics pictures, she is a 59 or later based on the 18.5 length. Original color was brown as evidenced by an untouched interior piece. So it will be paint stripping and sanding, but the hull is in really good shape and all the hardware minus the upper windshield is present.

The plan is to work on her over the fall and winter and into spring and get her ready for Summer - if we're lucky. If not, when she is done, she'll be done. The engine onthe back is a 65 Johnson, but it appears to be siezed, so It will probably go on craigslist as a freebie.

Edit - 2014 - Used MS Paint to remove traces of the old name prior to christening tomorrow. Uploaded again with an not quiet matching and certainly not dirty yellow.
    Attached Files
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Looks like a great project John! Good to see another Bellboy rescued.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything, we're pratically neighbors...
    Mark
    Silverdale, WA.
    1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Congrats on your acquisition! Your BellBoy 404 is actually 19' LOA. I have the 1960 version of this boat. John Kelly ( a.k.a. "Marvelous" in these pages) has a 1959 404 and you could get the correct windshield template from him, I'll bet. For power, I would look at 90 - 100 hp. It is a great boat with beautiful classic lines.
      When its all done, you will enjoy a lot of pride of ownership!

Good luck and there are many here waiting to help you out of a restoration jam if you need us.

BellBoyBob
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks guys! I've been on Marvelous, last year at Mason Lake, and she is a beauty.

Mark, you and I have exchanged a few emails before and I would surely like to pick your brain on a few items, most importantly, how to get at the transom and either rebuild or reenforce... Seems like the entire deck is attached at the rear, so not sure how to go about it short of removing the whole thing (which I don't relish).

Power. ya, I was thinking around 100, either in the form of a single merc tower, or, if I can swing it, twin mercs, at 45-65 each. I guess that depends on Tom and what he has laying around when I get close to that part of the project.
        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Bell Boy Project

Hey, that didn't take long!

Congrats on dragging home the Bell Boy, which will be a very nice boat for your family, size-wise.

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Thanks Marty!

We've been mulling it for about 4-5 months now and just needed a little more exposure to the Skagits and Bell Boys to decide. And you know what they say, "Strike while the iron is hot!" So we did. All the kids are excited and want to help with the project, so its money well spent for sure.

I guess the only burning question we have now is: Just what year is she? Are there distinguishing characteristics that are easy to find from one year to the next? I'm more of a Glasspar guy, so this whole Bell Boy thing is new to me. I don't see any sort of buid ID attached to any of the wood. Is it possible that there is something on the glass somewhere that may be covered by carpet or some such thing?
            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Greg, Great job getting it home. That was quite an adventure and it'll be one gorgeous boat when done. :cool1:
                '59 Clippercraft, 35 hp Evinrude

Comment

Awesome another Bellboy rescued! At the LaConner boat and car show us Bellboys and Glaspars were the ugly little sisters among all them Skagits!!

looks identical to the Marvelous which is a 1959 404 express!

[ATTACH]7059.vB[/ATTACH]
                  Attached Files
                  John & Diane Kelly

Comment

Try looking on the starboard side in the cabin, about half way up near the front. There should be a fiberglass patch with the hull number sealed into the build up. If yours is painted you will need paint remover and patience for your search. :GoodJob:
                    Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                    Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Well, it was fairly easy to find. One of the previous owners thought it would be a good idea to put carpet in the boat. It might have been neat for a while, bit dang it stinks now... The adhesive holding it all in is pretty much shot, and once I pulled the carpet out, I could see where the tag was. A little acetone and some scrubbing got the glue off.

So, we have the following: 404-1114.
                      I'm giong to just totally guess and interpret this as a 1961 404 Express, made January of 61, hull numer 14.

Now, someone with real knowledge, tell me if I'm right or completely off base.

Also, does anyone have any input on how to remove carpet adhesive other than acetone and scrubbing...? There is a lot of square footage to take care of...
                      John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

I am not sure who we have or had in the club that knows the Bell Boy stuff.

You just ran on to The reason I REFUSE to put Carpet in Anything that is open to the rain or can get wet.

I have that in one of my boats and it gets wet from the rain.
                        I would just as soon replace the whole floor than try to clean that junk off.:nono1:
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen
                        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Yesterday the ugly windshield came off. it wasn't too bad to remove. And the boat already looks better for it!

I tore into the cabin today. Whew, what a mess. It looks like someone put a "replacement" floor over the original floor - not in place of, but OVER. Material used: Particle board - real smart. the even covered up the bilge access for the front drain with it. The good news is that it all came out really easy because it was so wet. I pulled out everything except the sink cabinet and a shelf thing that is opposite where the toilet should be. those will come out tomorrow probably, after work. The center stringer is REALLY impressive. It is a huge fiberglass thing that looks and sounds fantastic. No replacement needed there. I hope the rest of them are in that good of shape. I'll find out this week when I get a dumpster to the house so I have a place to put all this rotton wood.

In other news, I think I am in luck for the fuel tanks. I pulled one side panel out and instead of seeing a fiberglass fuel tank, it looks like someone already went in and replaced the saddle tanks with plastic jobs. (at least on one side. ) If bot check out, I'll clean them out, check the fittings and then re-install. This is a great solution to a problem I didnt' have an answer for, as we had planned on putting fuel under the rear bench seat. That would have worked, but we would have lost out on some stowage area.

I am assuming that since the tanks were originally installed in this location, that it isn't going to adversly affect the boats handeling by leaving the new ones in place. Any input?
                          Attached Files
                          John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

The biggest mistake I see is when people put all the weight on the stearn.
                            Fuel, batteries and the next thing you have is the engine working harder to keep it up on plane.
                            I have seen it when they have too much weight on the rear and then start adding weight up in the bow Whats with that ??

The harder the engine has to work, the more fuel you end up using..

Makes more sense to move weight as much midship as you can don't you think.:BigWink1:

:TwoCents1:
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Well, now that you spell it out, it makes perfect sense. Just wanted to be sure.

Anyone have any idea regarding the year based on the build plate? John, maybe you could post up your plate info vs your registration info and we could figure it out. Again, my hull ID is 404-1114. Always nice to have the answer when people ask you what year your boat is.
                              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Working...
                              X