No announcement yet.

Bell Boy 404 Express Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been doing other things than messing with paint for the last week or so. Helm is stained, windshield is fully restored, and other odds and sods. Last night I pulled up the front door to the shed to get a good look at the boat while I fiddled with placement of deck hardware. None of this is actually mounted yet as the jury is out for placement of the horn and spotlight. Still, my first good look at the boat from further away than 3 feet!
    Attached Files
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Hi All.

It has been a while since I've updated. Work is continuing though. I had a period of no job, so in and out of looking, I was able to tackle some stuff during the day. I'm working again now though, so no worries!

Things that have been completed/worked on since July...
      John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Trailer.
        I've completely restored the original EZ Loader trailer. There is a lot of metal there and despite the rust, it was in really good shape with the exception of the axle, hubs, wheels. I wire brushed the whole thing down to bare metal and then gave it a bath with phosphoric acid. Then barrier coat primer went on, the nasty 2 part stuff that I tried using on the hull. After that, it got 2 coats of the topside paint I am using so it is a great match. New rollers, roller brackets, and bunks, new winch. I have a new axle and hubs on order and will install those when they come in. Light kit is in hand and also needs to be installed. All in all, it is around $700 worth of parts. Not cheap, but still a lot cheaper than a new trailer!
        Attached Files
        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Helm.
          While the helm was built and stained a while ago, it needed to be completed prior to mounting. The steering column needed to be centered and installed (4 holes), gauge cluster positioned and mounted and instrument holes cut (7 holes). Additionally, the gauge cluster plate needed an extra hole so I could place the 4 2 inch instruments I want. It is a 60s era Mercuriser plate made of some really hard stainless steel and was a total pain to cut out. With that done, the instrument holes were then cut. Not fun cutting the big 4 incher! Prior to mounting, I measured a cutout for the backside of the bulkhead to allow for wiring and steering access. It will get a nicely trimmed out cabinet style door when the interior is done. Inside the helm I'll have a 12 bus common bar as well as the main power switch. Once the holes and such were in place, it was time to mount the steering fully. Cable in, rack and pinion in - time to mount! It mounted up great. The only mess up is that I didn't notice the top portion is touching the combing as it comes down by the corner. Oh well. It still looks good but will have to be dealt with when trimming it out.
          Attached Files
          John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Power!
            Much hemming and hawing and debating and drinking went on for power. Originally it was going to be a pair of vintage mercs. But, no counter rotating props killed that along with a minimal gain in top end due to the extra drag. Then it changed to a 950SS that was on Ron's 63 Sea Fair. It has a blown cylinder and is in need of repair. As good as it looks, however, it always nagged me that that motor, even if properly rebuilt by Tom, would eventually succumb to the salt and die once more. At that point it would be modern power. Which presented the issue of more holes in the transom for a new mount. I don't wan't new holes. I don't like holes! So that was ditched and the search for new power began.

After much research, I determined that the Suzuki line provided the best power to weight in any of the classes while still being a 4 stroke. at 400lbs it puts it about 85 pounds lighter than the Honda and 50 or so less than Merc or Yamaha. 2 stroke Evinrudes are awesome, and light, but I just don't want to deal with mixing or oil tanks, or the smell and restrictions. With Suzuki in mind, I wanted to go with a 115 - lots of extra power for easy cruising. With money in order, I started looking. Then I saw Chuck had his 115 merc for sale at a really good price. So I checked it out. It is a good motor, but not quite what I was looking for. Another 115 merc popped for around 7500. Turns out it was an XL shaft, so no go. As the engines got nicer, the price started going up into new motor territory. Then a 140 Suzuki showed up on CL through Port Angeles Power Equipment. New motor with warranty for 90 horse money. 140 is a LOT for that old boat. But, it turns out it is the same engine as the 115 but with different EFI mapping, so no weight penalty, just more ponies than I will ever use. Should be a nice easy life for it. Bonus! After putting down a deposit, I ran up there with the family on Saturday and we purchased. They are storing the engine (new in crate) until I get the trailer finished. In the mean time, I have controls and instruments to rig up. Great experience with those guys and worth the trip. If you need new power, check Craigslist and search for Bart. The listings will come up.

With power handled, and most of the parts I need to finish her in hand or on the way, it looks like she will finally launch in 2014. She won't be done by a long shot, but it will be enough to put her in the water and enjoy the sunshine. Should be fun!
            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

I have pics of these updates, but they are too big to upload...
              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

nice work all around! I especially like the helm..very nice!

Comment

Thanks Kelly.
                  John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

Rub Rail Woes

The old rub rail came off quite some time ago. I fiddled with it about a month back and determined that it is not usable, so I ordered a new one. I got 'flexible rub rail insert' from west marine. It came in and I was quite shocked to discover that it wasn't soft or flexible at all. it is like hard plastic. It is too hard to shove into the groves for the existing metal portion of the rail.

My question is: Is this normal for "flexible" rub rail, or did I just get a bad sample?

Thanks,

John
                    John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBronze, post: 26422, member: 339
                      Rub Rail Woes

The old rub rail came off quite some time ago. I fiddled with it about a month back and determined that it is not usable, so I ordered a new one. I got 'flexible rub rail insert' from west marine. It came in and I was quite shocked to discover that it wasn't soft or flexible at all. it is like hard plastic. It is too hard to shove into the groves for the existing metal portion of the rail.

My question is: Is this normal for "flexible" rub rail, or did I just get a bad sample?

Thanks,

John
                      I have never heard of Flexible Hard Plastic rub rail.
                      If you go to the Wefco website, you will find a area that you will be able to print out a PDF file of the Actual Sizes and patterns.
                      I printed them all out and had them in one of the shop ordering books.

I used to keep cuttings from different boats, marked as so I knew what they were and would print out the PDF file and be able to get the correct rub rail.
                      Just can't imagine bouncing off the dock with the hard plastic and it really making it past the dock by feel method
                      Helmar Joe Johanesen
                      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

• Call Wefco as you will be happy with their product. Never a problem. Attn: Peter
                        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

• Getting closer...

The trailer is wired up for lights. I need to terminate the main harness ground and then test everything. I'll tackle that tomorrow. I'm still waiting on the delivery of my axle, but everything else is in place. Mount up should be quick and then she'll be on wheels for the first time in 3 years!

Once she is mobile I plan on taking her down to the launch and dropping her in the water ahead of the engine mounting. I'm not sure how it will handle the 400 pounds of engine along with fuel, , downriggers, batteries and such so I need to balance it all out ahead of permanent mounting.

I took some time on Friday and took care of all the title and registration for both the boat and trailer. hull ID decals are in progress and license plate is on the trailer.

I also found a good bench seat for the rear. I wanted cushy seats so the kids would not complain as much. I pondered building or buying for some time and finally decided to go with Deck Mate folding bass boat seats in white:

http://www.boatseatstore.com/Boat-Se...t-P220C59.aspx

These will end up mounted to the small bulkhead at the splashwell and configured to fold UP instead of down. Should give 4-6 inches extra space during fishing and crabbing. Small aluminum legs will support the weight and then stow when not in use. The extra benefit of these is that I can fold up individual portions depending on what I want to do.

On track for a winter shakedown and May opening day christening!
                          John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• It Floats!

Took her down to the launch Saturday after rigging the trailer axle up. With two batteries, two downriggers, 20 pounds of downrigger balls and the stern seats in the back and 240 pounds of sand amidships (fuel simulation), we dropped her in. Very buoyant! Even with two adult males standing on the transom, there was very little displacement. She should handle the 140 with no problem!

The plan is to haul her up to PA this weekend and get the engine mounted. With that done, sea trials should start in the next month. I can hardly believe it.
                            Attached Files
                            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Man that's a good looking boat! Nice job!

Comment

• John, Looking very nice ! Chuck
                                1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                                1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Working...
                                X