No announcement yet.

Bell Boy 404 Express Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here are two shots of the first shakedown cruise! Had some issues with fuel delivery from one tank that need to be sorted. Other than that, she ran like a top. At 3k RPM she is doing about 10 or so. At 4K, its up to 20! (then back down to 3k during the break in). One more hour this coming Saturday and then I'll start in with the sustained RPM runs and see what she can do.

Steering is a little heavy but not sure there is anything I can do. We are using an old Ride Guide cable and it is free and smooth, just more resistance than I would like. The plus side is that she doesn't drift when you let go of the wheel. Should be good for fishing! If it ends up being an issue, I have a teleflex cable and rack that I can use. I just need to adapt it to the existing wheel some how.
    Attached Files
    John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
    Past Affairs:
    '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

• Here is a shot of the dash with all the instruments installed. The LEDs are units I picked up at the local parts store. The green one ties in with the main power switch. The red one will be adapted to light when the control box buzzer goes off. I'll have to add in a pluggable harness for that to work correctly. Unfortunately, the voltmeter is messed up. It constantly reads 16 volts even though there is 12 at the terminals. I've got a replacement on the way.

In other news, I found the correct fuel connection fittings and have ordered them up along with new fuel sending units. If the pickups come in before this weekend, I'll set them up ahead of the final break in run. If not, I'll continue to run off of the stbd tank.
      Attached Files
      John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Looking good!
        What brand gauges are you using?
        What's your plan for the control box buzzer harness? Do you have a diagram drawn out already? Just curious...

Comment

• They are Suzuki gauges. Nice and easy to match up to the engine and they look correct with the Suzuki tach.

As for the buzzer, I already have the wiring diagram that came with the control box. I'll probably just make a copy of that and then draw in the plug. It should be a simple affair of just adding a 1 into 2 Y harness. I'll see if I can find one, if not, I'll just solder one up. Probably do the same treatment for the ignition interrupt for the charging relay. I haven't wired that up yet, partially because I need more 10 gauge wire to get the connections mated up. Mostly, though, I need to insure that the ignition interrupt is in place to preserve the ACR unit.
          John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Sounds like a good plan. I like that the box came with a diagram, having one sure takes out the guessing game.

Comment

• Sea Trials!

Took her out again on Saturday for the final engine break in. After putting around for another hour I was finally able to let the engine loose. I need a bigger prop! That thing is so powerful it is ridiculous. She planes out nicely at around 4200 RPM at 22 MPH or so. At 4700 she is cruising easily at 25. Take it up beyond that and it just gets silly. We had her up to 33 and I had to shut it down because I was over revving. I'll work with the shop tomorrow and get a 19 pitch on exchange. The current prop is a 17 4 blade.

In other updates, the stbd fuel gauge is completely wired up, the sending unit has been replaced and I have a good read on that fuel. The second sending unit kit I received was missing the link for the extended arm, so I need to return it before it can be installed. No worries. I won't be taking her out again until I get the replacement prop so I'm not in a hurry.

I also received switches and will be installing those in the next week or so.

This week it is trailer work again. I've left the girl in the boat house and will be moving the axle back on the trailer. There is too much weight to the rear and the tongue is bobbing up and down on the trailer. Should be an easy fix. This will also allow me to fix my fenders and get the new ones on.

Finally, the stbd seat box is almost complete. 2 routes needed and then fitment to the deck. I'll post pics when it is in.
              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• You're killing me not posting pictures!
                Way to go on shrinking the "to do" list!

Comment

• John take a look at this...saw it and thought of your boat...just a thought...
                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BOAT...e52cc3&vxp=mtr

Comment

• Sorry, Kelley! I'd take pictures if the boat was next to the house, but it is in the boat house right now. They are coming!

As for the dash stuff. I've seen those pieces, but they don't match what I have. I'll keep an eye out and they will turn up sooner or later.
                    John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• I'm just heckling you...I know how nerve racking it can be during sea trials. The last thing you end up thinking about is stopping to take pics. I'll wait patiently...sorta!

Comment

• Peanut Gallery! Everyone is a comedian

She is back at the house again, so back in position for work. This weekend the wife is out of town so I'll have some time to get some wiring done as well as the seat box install. Should be fun!

While she was in the boat house (and the reason I left her there) I moved the axle back on the trailer and fit new fenders. She pulled much better yesterday when I hauled her out, with less bouncing on the ball. Also, with the new fenders in place, there isn't a clearance issue with the boat any more. That was a real problem since I brought it home years ago.
                        John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Nice job with the trailer, but that's merely judging by what you're telling us. I sure wish I could see a picture of it
                          haha!

Comment

• You are SUCH a crybaby!

I snapped this shot this morning. REALLY cold out! 17 degrees is just too cold. Anyway, as you can see, there is now zero issue with clearance of the fenders. Before, they were literally about 1.5 inches from the chines on both sides when the boat was centered. Not the best situation. They still need some work though. Due to the way the axle is mounted, I had to mount the fenders towards the center. As a result, they tend to wobble a lot when going down the road. I'll probably get a couple pieces of galvanized flat bar and brace them on the inside.
                            Attached Files
                            John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• New prop came in today along with a replacement volt meter. Volt meter checks out on a local 12 supply so it will go in this weekend. Prop will get swapped too, but its too cold to go test!
                              John Forsythe

Past Affairs:

Comment

• Alright....Now that's what I'm talking about! I might be whining a little for pictures...to be honest, I scour the web almost daily looking for cool vintage glass boats. Yours is a cool glass boat. I've looked at the gallery on this site so many times I feel like I have it memorized!

Anyway, nice work on the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X