Launch of 1936 Cabin Runabout

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch of 1936 Cabin Runabout

Yesterday, at the culmination of a three-year restoration, we launched the 22-foot, 1936 Lylecraft cabin runabout that was built by Lyle Mrachek of Lake Chelan. The boat is owned by Don McArthur of Lake Chelan, who as a child had his first-ever boat rides aboard the Lylecraft, since his family had a cabin next to the Mracheks.

The Lylecraft had been sunk inside its original boathouse, and badly damaged during a winter storm, when the family gave the derelict hull to Don McArthur about 14 years ago. Don put the hulk in a barn for the next 10 years while figuring out what to do next...at which point we began to discuss restoration options.

The restoration amounted to building a new 1936 Lylecraft. We saved most of the original side frames and some mahogany from the cabinsides, but otherwise everything you see is new construction--the bottom, side planks, cabintop, interior, hardware, gauges, steering and all running gear. The old flathead V-8 was totally rebuilt and, in the process boosted from 85hp to 160hp, thanks to Dick Gabrielson of Dick's Lakeside Flathead.

Following our water test on Kitsap Lake, Don towed the Lylecraft back to its birthplace on Lake Chelan, smiling all the way.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Wow!

Congratulations Marty and crew!

What a gorgeous boat, I'll bet Don spends a good portion of the next week just looking at her, if not proudly cruising the lake and enjoying the calm October water on Chelan.

Tim

Comment

Utterly fantastic job Marty! Wouldn't mind having one of those myself!
      There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.":shocked4:

1957 Skagit Express Cruiser Rosario

Comment

That should be a nice dry ride on Lake Chelan regardless of conditions.
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

What a cool boat!! Being from Wenatchee I have know the Mrachek's pretty much my whole life. Never met Lyle but knew his son, Loran, who passed away a few years ago, and grandson Dan. Dan still runs Lyles boats and motors, now located in Cashmere. Does Dan know this boat is back together? Bet he would love to see it.

Comment

There should be an additional plaque that says "MartyCraft"
            17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
            18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
            19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
            25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
            14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
            14' Stilleto

Comment

back to the future

Awesome job, Marty!...When did they start building boats out of wood???:shocked2: Bet that flathead sounds as good as it looks.

love Karl's suggestion.

Comment

George....

George -

I called Dan Mrachek this morning to let him know the boat's finished, and I'll be e-mailing photos to him this evening.

Thanks to everyone for the nice comments. We liked the new interior layout created for the boat, which will largely be used for "cocktail cruising" on Lake Chelan. (Lots of storage cubbies and a sociable arrangement of seats, folding tables, etc.) Don and his wife will enjoy the old boat for many years...

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Nice! Whats next Marty, ready for another woody?

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

LyleCraft

The boat looks fantastic Marty! There were few people "in the know" talking about it at the Chelan event, hoping that it would be there...

I suspect it will be drawing crowds next year.

Sometime I would like to get the contact info for the flathead guy, as I'm still considering that option for the GarWood, as the V8-60 was an option on my boat.

I can't wait to see it on the water.

Dick

Comment

Gorgeous work Guys...

...Ric
                      '59 19' Glasspar Club Mariner (for sale)
                      '63 17' OMC Deluxe (My current lust boat)
                      '65 16' Evinrude Sweet 16 (for sale)

Comment

The Lyle Craft was at Terry's Sign Shop on the ave in Wenatchee for the most part of the day getting some gold leafing done, I called Dan and told him he might want to see it in person. Marty you might want to post some before pic's of her, think I saved some also.....................

Don't let reality ruin your day!

Comment

Another work of art from the Island Boat Shop. Looks fantasic. WOW. What material did you use for the floor?
                          Steve Kiesel
                          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Kiesel, post: 14160
                            Another work of art from the Island Boat Shop. Looks fantasic. WOW. What material did you use for the floor?
                            Not sure of the spelling, but Marmoleum was used which Marty laid down.
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Originally posted by Straycat, post: 14159
                              The Lyle Craft was at Terry's Sign Shop on the ave in Wenatchee for the most part of the day getting some gold leafing done, I called Dan and told him he might want to see it in person. Marty you might want to post some before pic's of her, think I saved some also.....................
                              Lon, you should have called me, I would have liked to look at it.
                              George @ Wilders

Comment

Working...
                              X