Shine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shine

We don't have a problem with painting over old gelcoat when required, but sometimes it sure is nice when you're working on a boat with restorable original gelcoat. (As someone said, and keeps saying, "they're only original once!")

Allan and Sue Martin's big Dorsett Farallon has some of the usual gouges, scrapes and old canvas-snap holes to fill and retouch, but for the most part the boat's factory gelcoat will clean up nicely with wet-sanding, buffing and polish.

Here's an example of the Before and After, with half of the foredeck hatch buffed out.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

"usual gouges, scrapes and old canvas-snap holes"...otherwise known as character! Nice job Marty. Love that color.
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Lots of manual labor

Lots of work but worth it to save the original finish, Heres a couple pictures of the San Juan that I removed the old White cabin and trim paint and went to just one color. This is original Gel coat! Gel coat will outlast any paint job and with color match Gel coat you can fill and patch as needed.
      Attached Files
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Nice looking boat Rick.
        Always liked that stile too. Good eye you have :GoodJob:
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nice! Reminds me of how well most of the Marathon shined up once I got the oxidization off. Same sort of story with some nics and scratches, but the color would be pretty much impossible to match with gelcoat...
          John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
          Past Affairs:
          '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Working...
          X