Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlux perfection on the BB 404 Sedan

Hi All:

It has been a while since I have contributed so I thought I would share my on going saga with BellBoyJohn's BB 404 Sedan. The first paint job we applied was in '05. I only sanded and applied one coat of Pettit Easypoxy. The job and result were mediocre in my estimation. After gaining some experience with Interlux Perfection last summer on my 404, I wanted to repaint john's boat with the same paint. It took hours and dismantling and sanding but now I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I primed the entire boat with 404 epoxy primer the painted the hull and roof with two coats pf Perfection Oyster white. The deck, dash and splash-well are painted in Royal blue. As the pictures show, the blue is quite vivid - stunning really. The blue will need three coats, I imagine. Have any of you found that applying the darker colors of Perfection require more coats? The paint is just fantastic. I include shots of my BB in the garage on John's trailer. The paint looks as fresh a year later as the day I applied it. I am sold!
    Attached Files

Now that looks nice

I think with most paints in the dark colors over light paint or primer, it takes at least a couple of coats.
    That paint is pretty cool isn't it :BigWink1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Interlux Perfection

Bob -

Yes, it definitely takes more coats to get good coverage with a color like the dark blue, vs. painting something like Oyster White over white primer.

The trick when you're going to apply a dark topcoat color is to use a dark primer, too, whenever possible.

We're likely going to use Perfection's Oyster White on part of a '58 Skagit 20 express we're currently restoring for Charlie and Pat Johns of Richland, WA. The second color will be an exact match for '56 Chev turquoise...which is very close to the Skagit's original gelcoat color.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Yes, I am prepared for three coats of the Interlux Royal blue. I am using a radom orbital sander with 320 grit between the blue coats but I don't want to sand through anything! Whats underneath is so much lighter, I would have to do so many coats if I sand through. Would you all recommend sanding with a block by hand at this stage? Thanks for any advice,
        Bob

Comment

I wouldn't advise using an orbital sander between top coats. Wet sand by hand.

Melanie
          1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Yes you are right, Melanie, the hand sanding provides far better control and Perfection color coats sand easily. I will sand down with 400 wet and just take my time...
            Bob

Comment

troublecome application of the blue

Well... The royal blue is not cooperating for some reason. I have put two coats down on the splashwell area and the result was better coverage - although the blue areas WILL require a third coat - but the paint is not flowing into a smooth flat surface like the Oyster white did. Could it be that I am painting mostly horizontal surfaces on a warm sunny day and the paint is curing too fast before it flows out properly? The result is a very stippled surface from the foam rollers. I never had this issue with the white. last year. I had great success with the Perfection by only rolling it on with no tipping. I DO remember reducing the white with their thinner ( 223) a bit. Maybe the blue, which was applied without reducing is in need of a little flash retarding reducer to lay down? What do you all think??

Thanks,
              Bob

Comment

Reduce it for sure Bob. I like the Interlux paint. I also use it on the Kayaks I build. Like you, I get different results with every project. The weather conditions seem to have a big effect on the results. The key is getting it thinned down properly. Plus I prefer to lay it down in cooler temps. Below 75 degrees if possible.
                Steve Kiesel
                1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Imperfect Perfection

Bob -

....What Steve said....

- Marty
                  http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Bob, having lived just up the road from where you are, okay 150 mi. Sackets Harbor , I can imagine the temp and high humidity are playing a big part in the outcome of the finish. A retarder as suggested and working in the evening will help but I think the stippling,tiny little bubbles from the foam roller, will require that you DO tip with a good quality brush as the paint is flashing too quickly. Just my $.02.

Melanie
                    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

Bob, I recently finished painting my 17 Skagit express with Interlux Brightside. The deck and cutty were painted white and the hull was painted sea green. I used two coats of Interlux white primer on the top and Interlux gray on the bottom under the dark green. Before priming I sanded everything with 80 grit down as far as I could get it, then again with 120, 220 and 320. I used 4 in. rollers made of high-density foam ( Whizz @ Lowels) and 4 in. foam tippers. I rolled horizonally and tipped verticly at about one square foot at a time. Two coats was enough but I put on three. I sanded with 320 using slow to medium speed on the sander in between coats it came out great. I have found that temp. and is probably the most important factor. Interlux Brightside is best used at a temp. of 65 to 70 degrees not to excede 75. I have painted this boat several times but this was the first time in a controled environment. I spent about 100 hrs. preping and 30 hr. painting. Meticulous preping and temp. are the key.Hope this helps.
                      Greg James

Comment

Working...
                      X