Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tim_Mattson, post: 19737
    Josh,
    Break out some Bleach,mix it up with Hot water and start spritzing all that solid plywood you see.The black will go away if you do it enough,then sand and watch for powdery areas which may be dry-rotted.The goal is to kill the mold spores and saturate the wood for any offspring.
    Epoxy anything you think is soft or replace (both sides equally thru-out hull).
    I`d keep the fuel above decks,amidship so center of balance is the same whether empty or full.Skinny belly tanks don`t fill quickly(which look like all you can fit) and also show full until 1/4 full,then drop off and finally work as you drain them.
    Find any screws poking out the bottom?
    With floor out ,you can put light outside or inside the hull and then look from the other side to reveal thin places or repairs you never would find otherwise.This works better in the dark.......
    Like eating an Elephant,you do it one bite at a time!
    TimM
    No hole or screws though the hull. But it is a project and I know this going in. Because it sat for a year I am just trying to get it dried out. I am looking for a hoist to get the OB off so it is out of the way so I can get the rest of the floor and bulkhead out.

After that clean and replace... And yes there is mold and gooey growing things in there....

There are a few places here that offer coatings for marine applications and if I sell some plasma, perhaps a kidney I can do that!! Thanks for looking.

Josh

Comment

Not so fast !

Originally posted by FarallonPDX, post: 19743
      No hole or screws though the hull. But it is a project and I know this going in. Because it sat for a year I am just trying to get it dried out. I am looking for a hoist to get the OB off so it is out of the way so I can get the rest of the floor and bulkhead out.

After that clean and replace... And yes there is mold and gooey growing things in there....

There are a few places here that offer coatings for marine applications and if I sell some plasma, perhaps a kidney I can do that!! Thanks for looking.

Josh
      Save the Kidney till you need the upholstery and cabin cushions - you will need the kidney because it will take alot of beer to get to the finish work.
      Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Nice project.

I looked into the bedliner stuff of all sorts. In the end, I will be going with KiwiGrip. Its available here in Seattle and it can be color matched... The price isn't too bad, around $120 a gallon or so. Should be enough to do all of your floor space. It is supposed to be a little easier to set up and isn't as hard on bare feet and knees...

Foam. You won't ride high if you put foam in there.... 2 pound foam will displace slightly less water than air. What you will get is floating insurance in case you ever get a puncture... Not to mention a quieter ride. I just finished foaming up the bilges in the 404. It's a good feeling!
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

One bite at a time

Well its Friday and took some time to finish up some deconstruction. I got the rest of the cockpit, gas tanks and electrical out as well as the rotted floor. Just some exposed stingers. Now after inspection it is tome to beef up the stringers and get to work on the bulkhead replacement. Here are a few updated pictures. The previous person who replaced the floor just used some exterior plywood with a hastily glass job... It may have worked for a while but in the PNW, this was not a long term fix. Oh buy the way what I thought was a bilge pump to nowhere was actually a live well pump...

Happy Friday everyone!!!

BTW sorry again for the pics, if I had more money and less boat I would buy a new camera! But until then, you get iPhone pictures...
          Attached Files

Comment

not tooooo bad

Seen worse!
            1963 Fiber Form Cuddy***
            1960 Hi Laker 15'**
            1957 Skagit 20 express*
            1955 uniflight 16' sportboat*
            *= previous completed projects
            **=finished and still using
            ***= in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Bobbers, post: 19784
              Seen worse!
              Well that is reassuring! I have removed all the old wood from the stringers and going to start applying the new stringer reinforcement with epoxy
              ASAP. As well as the bulkhead. I have my work cut out for me... More pics to follow!!!

Comment

More work completed... And a new gas tank!

I got lucky on craig's list, found a 40 Gallon Moeller fuel cell. The price was right. $100.00... Anyway I was thinking this may be a better option as my old deck tanks were well... Less than desired. I have the cockpit open to replace the deck and rotten Stringers, might as well put in a a new tank. Anyway I think in the long story short, this going to work out good. Still have a lot more work to do, but this is starting get better! All the bad is out and the new stuff can start going in!
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice score.
                  Its always nice to finish the demo part and start rebuilding.

If that was me, I would put an inspection cover over the fuel sending unit. Run your wires, both ground and pretty pink wire known for Fuel wiring for your fuel gauge. Seen folks forget that part.

If you ever catch yourself slowing down on your project, its good to look back at the steps you have taken to get where you are
                  Helmar Joe Johanesen
                  1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                  1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                  Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                  2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                  http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                  X