1957 skagit express 17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1957 skagit express 17

So I;ve been looking for a skagit 20 to start working on. I have response to
    a want add I've posted on craiglist.

There is a skagit 17 express down in tacoma that was on the water a year or
    two ago. It was used to move logs down there somewhere. I have not seen it
    yet, but it is white with red markings. It comes with two matched 1958 merc
    mk 55e (red case) engines. The engines have not been started in about 20 years but do crank over (owner say no spark) . It is missing the upper windshields and frame, and one of the curved cabin glass is cracked.

Is there anybody out there that knows any history about this boat and are those merc engines worth restoring and installing on this boat? Is the upper
    frame and glass hard to come by?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Welcome to the forum first off.

Yes, the Skagit lines are really predominate in the 50's. In fact, the 58 Skagit does resemble 58 automobiles, same with 1959 and the brow over the cabin windshield.

In photos, the 17 looks pretty much the same as the 20's but side by side, you can really notice the difference as they are larger in scale, not just longer as some thought.

Don't know anything about the Skagit in Tacoma nor have I heard anything about it.
    The older Mercs....If they were in Salt Water back then, they are parts motors, IF they will even come apart.
    If they are any good, they would have to Really been taken care of.

You might find folks giving them away from time to time that need Everything done to them.
    Stingers, Skagits have Big heavy roving Fiberglass stringers that never go bad.

I myself have several of them, 58 Skagit express 17 footer that needs Everything, my 59 20 foot offshore with the Volvo I/O, 16 food Skagit Skimaster with the very hard to find hard top, and then a 14 foot Skagit Sportster.
    I also have other classics but favor the Skagits so I can understand why you like the lines..:Skipper1:
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks for the insight Helmar!

So is the cabin glass hard to come by? Are they the same from 55-59? And are they
      Skagit 17's only or will the 20's work?

Comment

Skagit 17 Windshields

Mark -

The original fiberglass Skagit windshield frames are hard to come by, but it isn't a mortal sin to use another vintage (aluminum or stainless framed) wraparound windshield on the Skagit. (Basically, whatever fits and looks good is fine....and old runabout windshields are easier to come by than original Skagit frames.)

There are a surprising number of old Skagits out there in the weeds and available, so don't pay too much for one that's been used to push logs around...and may be missing a variety of original parts.

While the original Skagit upper windshields featured automotive glass (1955 Ford, sometimes cut to fit in the Skagit frames, sometimes placed directly in the frames without modification), the lower cabin windows are all plexiglass and can be replaced. The best bet is to use 3/16" polycarbonate (one brand name is Lexan), which can be bent cold...whereas plexiglass (acrylic), requires heat to bend--a very tricky process. Polycarbonate is a bit more expensive than acrylic, but it's more scratch-resistant. If the original cabin window is merely cracked, you can get it out of the rubber gasket and use it for a pattern. (Be sure to put your tracing paper on the inside of the original, not on the outside, then transfer flat to your new acrylic and cut with a fine-toothed sabersaw.) You can buy new rubber gasket in black from Wefco Rubber in the Los Angeles area.

Good luck, proceed with caution on the purchase and post a bunch of photos if you have additional questions.

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

I plan on looking at the boat this wednesday. Its located at Quinns boat yard in Tacoma.
          The price is $500 for the boat and two matched 1958 mk 55e motors. I plan on taking a lot of photos and will post them.

I will be cautious in purchasing a project boat, and not let my heart fog my judgment on
          a worthy canidate for restoration.

I was thinking about that upper windshield delema. I think a nice two piece "duvall" V-butt windshield would look nice. i just would need to find two cast side post to mount.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by bigblackcat, post: 21284
              I plan on looking at the boat this wednesday. Its located at Quinns boat yard in Tacoma.
              The price is $500 for the boat and two matched 1958 mk 55e motors. I plan on taking a lot of photos and will post them.

I will be cautious in purchasing a project boat, and not let my heart fog my judgment on
              a worthy canidate for restoration.

I was thinking about that upper windshield delema. I think a nice two piece "duvall" V-butt windshield would look nice. i just would need to find two cast side post to mount.
              I would sure beware.
              Boats that are not running can be had pretty cheap.
              If I were you, I would post the pictures for others to give you some ideas on what they have seen others in that shape, go for.

If the windshield is missing and other things have been changed due to it became a working boat, it might not be worth there asking price.

Again, if those engines ever have seen Salt Water, Walk Away !!!!!
              Helmar Joe Johanesen
              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

$500 price for Skagit

Mark -

From a value perspective, I wouldn't give much for the Mark 55's since they haven't run forever and will no doubt need a fair amount of work (meaning potentially lots of money). And you might not want to go with them for power anyway. (Don't get me wrong--Mark 55's are very cool vintage motors, once restored, but getting them from where they are to super-clean, reliable engines could cost more than a grand per engine.)

If the boat is what it sounds like--a total "needs-everything" project--$500 might be on the steep side. We often find project boats like that, with non-running old motors, for somewhere between $0 and about $250.

So, good thing you're moving with some caution.

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

The actual boat is $300 and the two mercs are $200. But I just stumbled across a

1963 dorsett on the oregon coast for $650.00......(see the boat sighting add)

Comment

Run as fast as you can !!

Head to Oregon - There's gold in them hills You don't want to start this obsession with two old Mercs and a log pushing Skagit . Unless you are looking for a divorce !StirPot
                    Attached Files
                    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

also found a red and white skagit 20 up in issaquah!:catchfish1:

Comment

Working...
                      X