Skagit 20 Windshields, Again...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit 20 Windshields, Again...

I've always wanted to perform this experiment, and--lo and behold--it worked!

The Skagit 20 skunkworks concept was to take the entire windshield assembly off of a 1957-58 Skagit 17' convertible model--a completely unique piece that shares the same '55 Ford windshield glass as the Skagit 20 Express--and see if it would mount directly on a 20-foot Skagit 20 Express. (The 17' convertible's windshield resembles a blown-up version of the windshield frame on a 1954-'57 Bell Boy 16 Express, or even a Bell Boy 21' Express of the period, and because it laid flat on the deck of the Skagit 17' runabout, it's wide enough to land on the cabintop of a Skagit 20 Express...but I wasn't sure until we actually test-fit the thing this morning.)

I bought the 17' Convertible windshield assembly on CL, from a guy in Gig Harbor who had gotten rid of the rest of the boat but, for some reason, kept the windshield. It came with the plexiglass side-panel windows, but I removed them so it would be easier to strap the beast to roof racks on my truck. (The plexiglass side windows were goners anyway, but by good fortune the original wraparound glass was intact--no cracks, just a few windshield-wiper scratches that'll buff out.)

So, I think I'll go with the new windshield combo on our '58 Skagit 20 Express, since the old glass in the boat's windshield was broken anyway.

Here are a few photos with the '17 Convertible windshield resting loosely atop the Skagit Express cabin. Also attached is a '58 Skagit ad, showing the 17' Convertible model in the two smaller ad photos.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Convertible windshield on Skagit 20

Amazing! Looks great. Proportions are right. Is that real glass or plexi?
    Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Skagit Windshield

Tim -

Real '55 Ford glass in the windshield's wraparound sections, but Skagit used plexiglass for the two side panels.

Yeah, I think it looks 'right,' so we'll go with it.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty,

Looks great!

Charlie

Comment

17' convertible

I had my neighbor cut safety glass for the sides on mine and it came out real nice - he used the old ones for patterns , That looks real nice on there Marty , What a score finding the frame ?? That's one of those things that pop up and you say "I can't believe what I'm seeing " Just increased the market on that boat !! :Skipper1:
          Attached Files
          Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

Skagit 20 Windshield

Rick -

Just got back after being gone this past week (my son got married out-of-state), and wanted to know if you have any photos of your 17' Skagit with the soft top raised? (It appears, from the first photo you posted, that your 17' windshield has the same soft-top frame as the one that came with the frame we bought on CL...so I'm curious to see what it looks like. Ours did not include the fabric--just the bare aluminum frame.)

Thanks,

- Marty

Comment

Looks good, Marty. Run with it! And replace that side with glass instead of plexi. Might as well make it better while you are customizing things...
              John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
              Past Affairs:
              '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

All fiberglass Frame

Marty : I made the big mistake of thinking that it would be easier to have all the paint removed by sandblasting and will never do that again. It opened up hundreds of pin head size holes in the Fiberglass and I had to fill and sand them all off. Took more time than it would have to use a paint stripper . I re-placed the side windows with safety glass and used a standard seal they stock at the shop. on the bottom seal I got some from Wefco that was flat and had a bead in the front. Never did figure out the Glass secret on the windshield so the Starboard side was Plastic These are about the only pictures I have that may help. You can see how it folded forward against the top in that picture from Alder lake,
                Attached Files
                Rick & Sarah

Comment

Skagit 20 Top

Thanks, Rick....

Now that I see photos of your boat with the top up, I'm sure the top I have is the same pattern--and it'll look great on the Skagit 20 Express.

- Marty

Comment

Marty-
                    That's a real great match for the shape of the 20 Express cabin top and the 17 windshield housing. I really like the side view and how the upper gunnel profile works with the descending side window/housing.
                    With your craftsmanship, that whole housing will end up blending perfectly with the 20, like it was from the factory !!
                    bruceb

Comment

Windshield Design

Thanks, Bruce...

Come to think of it, one of the reasons I like the 17 Convertible windshield frame on the 20 Express is that it resembles the 31 Saratogan windshield. (Not the same, of course, but with similar swept-back sides.)

- Marty

Comment

Skagit 20

That will look real nice on the 20 - Like Bruce says that side profile will be unique I guess you will be keeping it now. :Underconstruction1:
                        Rick & Sarah

Comment

Working...
                        X