Skagit windshield redux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skagit windshield redux

I picked up a Skagit brochure off eBay and noticed the windshield in the ad for the 17 Express was not the fiberglass framed unit we normally see. I thought it interesting and have always thought the use of the style pictured in the ad was a compromise for a missing or badly damaged fiberglass unit.
    Attached Files
    1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Very interesting. My thoughts were the same as yours. The seats in the 20 are they the same as yours. Will have to look at the seat bases in my 20. Clint
    Attached Files

Comment

My first Skagit was a 1958, blue and white.
      The seats that were in the boat were all wood, but rotten.
      I seen all those nice rounded curves on the boat and seen all the square corners on those seats and thought....I wonder whats up with this?? The wood guys and glass guys not getting along or talking to each other

I had taken them out and was going to rebuild them as they looked stock, but at that time, no one knew if they were original or not.
      It looked as who ever designed them, made them as so the seat bottom and back were flotation throw cushions.

I made the mistake recording the dimensions on a computer operated by Microsoft...Crashed and lost for ever.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Clint, the basic construction and shape of the seating is the same as our 20 offshore with minor differences. The only changes I plan to make when redoing the seats would be to enlarge the area behind the seat backs to increase the depth of the little cubbie holes.
        Attached Files
        1958 Skagit 20 Offshore hardtop cruiser "Kanigo"

Comment

MELANIE, Will have to take some pictures of my porta-potty inclosure. You have seen it, but it is unique. Have wondered if is factory or put in by a previous owner. Interesting the difference in our boats considering they are only 5 serial numbers apart. Kind of proves that Skagits were pretty much custom built. Clint

Comment

57 Skagit Ad

Melanie -

So, judging by the side-accent stripe, the ad you found on eBay appears to be for 1957-model Skagits. Really fascinating to see the non-standard windshield on the 17...and also the fact that no seats are illustrated in the 17 cockpit--just what appears to be a bare floor.

As Clint suggests, they may have made changes in the boats all the time, whenever somebody figured out a new way to try doing something, so in that respect many were 'customs.'

- Marty
            http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, I don't know this for a fact, But when you rebuilt Scotty's Offshore cockpit. What did it look like beforehand ? Seat wise. Best,Chuck
              Attached Files
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Having had an interview with Jim Dunlap, Gene's younger brother, who was also part of Skagit ownership, he said one of Skagit's big problem was that Howard Roberts treated each boat as a one off custom. He said they were never able to build the boats as economically as mass produced boats. I believe Lloyd Lindberry was brought on to standardize the Skagits around 1959. My 1959 Skagit Skimaster was one of his designs. Clint

Comment

I will ask Skotty if he has any pictures of your Skagit when he had it. Clint

Comment

Originally posted by Nomad55, post: 21516
                    Clint, the basic construction and shape of the seating is the same as our 20 offshore with minor differences. The only changes I plan to make when redoing the seats would be to enlarge the area behind the seat backs to increase the depth of the little cubbie holes.
                    Now This is slick for sure !!!
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Clint thanks, I only have these pictures that Joe gave me,but no cockpit shots. Here's a picture of "We-Like" with Scotty & Wendy driving it with the Mercury 115hp Via Bruce Drake that i now have on his former boat the "Wendy C". What goes around comes around....i guess. Chuck
                      Attached Files
                      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
                      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Scotty's Skagit

Chuck -

As I recall, Scotty's boat had non-original swivel seats when we started work...not factory plywood seat structures.

- Marty
                        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                        X