Full House at Ye Olde Boatshop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full House at Ye Olde Boatshop

I never thought I'd see a total of six classic boats inside Island Boatshop, but as of today that's the total number: three project boats on the shop floor, and three others dangling overhead.

The boats on the floor are Bruce Drake's remarkably original 1957 Norseman express cruiser (in for a refinish); Tom Brown's 1939 Lyman 21-foot Deluxe runabout (total restoration, starting with the new deck seen in the photo); and our 1937-designed 20-foot cruising sloop, Wind Drift (total restoration).

The overhead boats include a very old 7-foot lapstrake pram (recently restored); Bruce Drake's 6-foot kids' boat (our design); and our 1870-design 14-foot Seaford Skiff sailing duckboat (in for a total restoration, scheduled for next winter).

To see the jumble of six boats (good luck counting the three hanging from overhead), take a look at our website's Home Page: http://www.islandboatshop.com/Island...Home_Page.html

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Now that's a boat shop. Glad to see your staying busy Marty.:GoodJob:

Been getting my winter work shop (Half a garage) ready. Going to start with refinishing the kayaks I built about ten years ago. Then, when funds allow, I'm going to start a flat bottom skiff for rowing and sailing. Can't wait to start making sawdust again.

Have a good one.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Marty, I never thought you could get that many boats in your shop. All i can get in my garage is one boat. Best,Chuck
      Attached Files
      1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
      1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Marty,

I will have to stop by and see the shop. I haven't been over since it was a gravel lot.

My shop, while miniscule by comparison has finally begun; and I look forward to retirement and a place to tinker.
        Attached Files
        Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
        Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Shop Size...

Jack -

You're warmly invited to stop by most anytime.

Actually, our shop isn't that big--only 24' x 48,' but the 13'-high side walls help create a sense of space inside, and make possible overhead storage of smaller boats.

- Marty
          http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Good to see you keeping the work load up!

I haven't forgotten about the 6 pack of beer I owe you either, just haven't been out that way in quite some time.
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

The thing that impresses me is less how many of them there are than how beautiful they are. But both are amazing.

Comment

Working...
              X