Reinell floor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reinell floor

Finally a Glassic....I ended up with the Jetabout that was on the classifieds a few weeks ago. The floor is mush...I remember Brian said he had photos of the one he did. would appreciate and info/advice. Thanks Steve.

will post photos soon
    Steve Tweit

1954 Mansfield..double cockpit runabout
    1955 Mansfield 17' express
    1960 Rynell Jetabout
    2007 Bxxxxxxx "daily driver"

Congratulations on the Reinell! I have a few photos on this computer and will dig out the other ones I have soon. I have not replaced the floor in one of these finned jewels, but one that came from Marty, and is now in California, had a large section of floor missing. I took pictures of it with a tape measure knowing it would not be too long before I tore into one. Maybe we can have some winter parties and replace floors. First rule of government spending...Why do one when you can do two at twice the price?

Finished picture is a factory photo courtesy of Bruce Gerard from a postcard he found on ebay.
    Attached Files
    BRIAN FRANCHINI
    LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Reinell

Brian...thanks..My floor is glass over plywood. The wood comes out in handfulls, but the glass is hard to cut. Trying to decide how to cut it around the edge without going into the hull. Do you have one at home you will be starting ??? Steve
      Attached Files
      Steve Tweit

1960 Rynell Jetabout

Comment

Steve,
        You need to make a nice straight cuts with sawblade set so it only goes thru the soft wood.The blade base is sometimes enough but temp mounting a saw guide made from a strip of thin plywood and fitted with a 1x1 as a saw guide.
        You should layout a nice square and leave a 1-3``strip of glass to build from.You can pry the outer bad wood out after making the first cut.
        Leave what looks like a Picture Frame,unless glass is horrible.
        Looks like less than 4` wide.
        You can make the floor better than it was if you make a row of pads below seating that ties the sides together and gives you a great way to secure seats into some meat.This makes seaming it easier and means you can work with a 2 pc floor.
        Having one side to work on at a time seams to make fit/install go easier though a 1 pc floor can be worth it when edges allow.
        Drill holes with 1/16`` drill if worried about depth needed or what`s under a floor when doing tearout.....and go for 1` square bites or bigger.CutUp1
        TimM
        unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
        15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
        SeaRay 175BR
        Hi-Laker lapline
        14` Trailorboat

Comment

Reinell floor

Thanks Tim and Brian...I went at it with my saw, and so far so good. Harder when you get to the transom, and the saw wont go to the end...short by the size of the saw base. Will think about this a while...St.
          Attached Files
          Steve Tweit

1960 Rynell Jetabout

Comment

Cool boat! You can go after those last bits of glass with an angle grinder. Just work slowly.
            John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
            Past Affairs:
            '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

A rotary saw might work too.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Comment

...Or a Roto-Zip

I don't use this tool too often, but it comes in handy when you need to sneak up on something like a lip of fiberglass/ply floor--and not cut through the hull.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_239879-353-R...7C1&facetInfo=

- Marty
                http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

That carpet is the same as my Jetabout. I won't be tearing into mine for a couple of years into the future. My '56 Chrysler has got to get done first.

Comment

Working...
                  X