Bruce's Norseman Restored

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce's Norseman Restored

Attached are a few shots of Bruce Drake's Norseman express cruiser, which we finished restoring today.

The boat received fresh paint and varnish everywhere, along with newly designed mahogany cockpit helm seats (storage beneath), a modified console with Teleflex steering to replace the old cable-and-drum setup, a slightly taller transom to accommodate the new four-stroke outboard Bruce will run, and a few other doo-dads.

We were able to match the original two-tone green with standard colors available from my new favorite paint manufacturer, Marshall's Cove Paints, made locally and featuring the most amazing palette of vintage-boat colors. The paint goes on nicely and is available in Gloss, Semi-Gloss, Satin or Flat...in pints, quarts or whole gallons. (I prefer Semi-Gloss for most boat work.)

The Norseman is a great little boat; I'm sure Bruce and Eileen will enjoy it thoroughly.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Another Norseman Photo

For some reason, I'm only able to upload one photo at a time, so here's a second view of the Norseman cockpit area.

- Marty
    Attached Files

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Norseman, Exterior Shot

...and here's one shot of the outside of the hull, showing the original-pattern two-tone paint scheme, matched with paint from Marshall's Cove Paint Co.

- Marty
      Attached Files

Comment

Picture testing

I am just testing to see how many images I can upload at one time.

Just random pictures that I happened to have.

I will compare accounts Marty to see if I can figure out why only one at a time for you.
        Attached Files
        Helmar Joe Johanesen
        1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
        1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
        Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
        2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
        http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

WoW ....Marty, What a beautiful job as always.I think i would be afraid to even take that baby out. Is Bruce going to build a museum for his collection ? Best,Chuck
          1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
          1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Originally posted by Helmar, post: 25102
            I am just testing to see how many images I can upload at one time.

Just random pictures that I happened to have.

I will compare accounts Marty to see if I can figure out why only one at a time for you.
            Joe - I think I figured it out. I used the iPad Mini to shoot and send the photos, and the Mini seems to identify every picture the same way....as "image.jpg" or whatever. So, when grabbing each one to upload to the Forum, they all become identified by the Forum server as the same image...and only the last one uploaded actually appears. In the future, I'll Save each one in iPhoto, giving them different names, before uploading. Either that, or figure out how to make the iPad automatically assign different sequential numbers as they're shot. - Marty

Comment

Great job Marty! C/P

Comment

Spectacular boat, Marty !
                Thanks for posting !
                bruceb

Comment

That is just beautiful. Words fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 25105
                    Joe - I think I figured it out. I used the iPad Mini to shoot and send the photos, and the Mini seems to identify every picture the same way....as "image.jpg" or whatever. So, when grabbing each one to upload to the Forum, they all become identified by the Forum server as the same image...and only the last one uploaded actually appears. In the future, I'll Save each one in iPhoto, giving them different names, before uploading. Either that, or figure out how to make the iPad automatically assign different sequential numbers as they're shot. - Marty
                    Joe / Marty,

This is an issue with iOS system. I have the same problem if I try to upload a pic taken on my iPhone5...
                    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Nice work, Marty. The paint looks cool and retro, just like it should!
                      John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                      Past Affairs:
                      '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

More Photos, Norseman

Here are a few more shots of the Norseman, taken this morning before we delivered the boat to Bruce.

Considering how unusually original the Norseman was, especially for a 1950s plywood boat, it was decided to maintain the essence of the boat's original paint and varnish--repainting it in the exact original two-tone color scheme, and varnishing without taking the original mahogany plywood and solid mahogany cabin planks down to bare wood, but rather maintaining some of the boat's magical "patina" by allowing some of the wear-through spots and stains to show through the new varnish. (It would have been possible to take all wood surfaces down, stripping and sanding away all evidence of the boat's age, but Bruce wisely--I think--opted for the "patina look," so we lightly touched up some of the worn-through areas but did not attempt to totally hide signs of age before applying coats of fresh varnish.)

So, in any case, if the Norseman was my boat (I wish!), I'd probably name it PATINA...and hugely enjoy having a restored boat that doesn't look grossly over-restored.

Look for the Norseman at some events this summer, patina and all.

- Marty
                        Attached Files

Comment

Those last pictures really show what nice lines the old Norseman has. All the beautiful wood showing doesn't hurt either. Nice job as always Marty. Have fun showing her off Bruce.
                          Steve Kiesel
                          1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Looken good Ole.

So, what are you going to end up with for a power boat once your retired???
                            I know how this wood calls to you :BigWink1:

Just remember, this is a Whole New Concept for you.
                            You will have to restore one for yourself and Keep it for awhile.
                            No fair selling it as if you do, you have to restore yourself another one.

My bet is that you will have one that you use, then be working on its replacement and of course, lots of mahogany VeryBigSmile
                            Helmar Joe Johanesen
                            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Norseman restoration

Wow! Nice looking Norseman. My dad's best friend had what was probably the same model.

Are those seat backs original? Nice job Marty!

A lot of these 1950's boats were pretty utilitarian. I agree about not over-restoring them.

Looks great and hope to see it on the waterways.......

Tim
                              Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
                              X