Deck (floor) Paint?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deck (floor) Paint?

So I'm in the process of working on my interior deck for my 67' Glasspar Seafair Sedan: building seat boxes, preparing to foam the void, etc. And I need to decide on a deck (floor) paint. I'm thinking I want an epoxy based paint. And I have to figure something out for traction. But in my experience non-skid always looks like hell after you walk on it once. I'm thinking a white is best for heat and reflectivity, but will also show the dirt most of all. And it has to be durable since everyone will be walking on it. Any sugestions? I'm thinking I want an epoxy paint, but I really don't know....
    :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
    (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
    1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Sean, another option is carpet. Looks nice, and feels good on the bare feet. I used a slate gray outdoor carpet from Lowe's in my 59 Seafair. It's real light and thin. Lay's down nice and flat, pulls up real easy for cleaning and storage.

I know Chuck carpets all his boats, he may have a better carpet option. Definitely consider it though.
    Steve Kiesel
    1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

We are going to be carpeting our Chris Craft this summer since the original red vinyl flooring is torn and no longer in production. I haven't found the color I want yet but there are sources online that give free samples and I have found a couple really nice "marine" carpets that have waterproof rubber backings that won't mildew and will last a lot longer than the "outdoor" carpet from the local hardware store. I would think with the little ones, carpet would be a nice choice but I would definitely get a thicker, stronger one since the kids are going to create a lot of ware as they get bigger...
      Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
      1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Carpet is always a favorite. If you are going with paint or a coating though...

I've used epoxy based white paint on my Marathon. On the not walkable surfaces, it still looks great. On the walking surface, it does get dirty. I mixed sand with it the first time I painted and it worked OK for a while until the paint wore off of the grit and then the grit came lose. I won't be doing that again!

I'm planning on using KiwiGrip on the 404 when the time comes. They say it also needs re-applying every couple of years, but I may just put carpet over it as well. It is a rubberized coating that can be color tinted. Good to keep water off of your floor too.
        John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
        Past Affairs:
        '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

I have used carpet as well as Herculiner (sp). Both have been great.
          17' Johnson Runabout (1964) Completed
          18' GlassCraft Imperial (1959) Done!
          19' Campion Bowrider (1999) Great family ski/tow boat
          25' Skagit (1960) Two of them. What am I thinking?
          14' Axtell Aquacraft (1950ish)
          14' Stilleto

Comment

Like Steve said, I do use Lowe's / Home Depot ( At Lowe's they are starting to drop some of the colors so i kept a extra rug for the floor in Bainbridge ) indoor/outdoor carpeting in most of my boats. I also use 3M Super 90 Spray glue that i have never had a problem holding the rug on the side walls. Lowe's does guarantee's it for 3 years , however i have seen it last up to 9 years. I only had to glue it down on the floor only on one boat. If the rug gets wet i just slip a few wood blocks under it to dry. The reason for that is i lay the rug down first and then screw down the Pedestals so it will not move around. You can still roll it up to the back of the Pedestals and when the time come to replace it, i trim it around the base of the Pedestals for my next pattern, but don't seem to keep a boat that long to have to do that.

I see that GregJ said it's better to paint the floor if you are a "blood & guts" fishing kind of guy. He's right ! Chuck
            Attached Files
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Cockpit Floor Paint

I like Interdeck, the nonskid gray paint by Interlux. (Also comes in two different tan/cream colors, if you prefer.) Not as comfy as carpet, but in my experience it holds up well.

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

If you fish like I do then carpet probably isn't a good idea. Fish blood and guts don't mix well. I use interdeck by Interlux. I have had it for a few years and it has held up real well.
                Greg James

Comment

Originally posted by GregJ, post: 25146
                  If you fish like I do then carpet probably isn't a good idea. Fish blood and guts don't mix well. I use interdeck by Interlux. I have had it for a few years and it has held up real well.
                  The primary use of my boat is salmon fishing year round and although I agree with what Greg says about carpet in general I have found that just buying the cheapie variety of carpet at Wal mart fits my boat perfectly leaving sewn edges around it that don't unravel. The maroon color matches my boat and hides all the fish blood well. Just rinse thoroughly when you get home and the carpet will last several years. I keep a separate one for crabbing as the crab really chew them up sometimes. For fishing, the main value is the anti slip characteristic of the carpet. Those cheap carpets have saved me more than once from a face plant in the cockpit.
                  Kent & Diane
                  '58 Westerner

Comment

Sean,
                    The carpet is the quickest and is super cheap at $3 foot or so if at Lowe`s.The sprayglue needs to be sprayed on both surfaces,then let tack briefly and glue agian as it goes together.Pressure makes it stick,so push hard everywhere and do it again later in day.
                    You can also staple where you know it will want to lift,namely around edges of motor box.
                    I`d cut it short at rear corners and use some half-round trim to secure edge.
                    I found some carpet at Lowe`s that looked like it had Salt,pepper and beauty bark all mixed in.....was perfect for hiding muddy footprints.
                    Kept losing track of my tools as I worked......
                    Painting can be easy too ,one coat of Bilgekote in grey ,then another 1-2 with Interdeck grit particles mixed in to get desired traction,then top with a final coat so it wears into the grit instead of coming off the first season of use.
                    Leave the corners smooth so dirt can be wiped out without shredding rags.
                    My Outboard version of the Seafair was hard to drain decks of all water,at least you have a real bilge area with the Inboard floor plan.
                    Possible to combine both methods above and use snaps/velcro to secure carpet over a freshly painted surface.
                    I can also get you into the grey "Sandstone" factory flooring from my Seattle source.....but can`t get colors,sorry.
                    Won`t be folded like when you buy mail-order.
                    TM
                    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Great, most of you seem to be advising carpet, which makes a lot of sense. But the Glasspar nuts on Classicglasspars.com, are advising Zolatone. So conflicting advice from classic boaters! Now what do I do?...
                      :Skipper1: Sean Kuhlmeyer, JD
                      (Sean the Lawyer in Seattle)
                      1967 Glasspar Seafair Sedan - "Solstice"

Comment

Steve Kiesel
                        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Zolatone

Sean,
                          Zolatone is a water-based paint,needs stirring with careful hand,then a HVLP gun to deliver it ,don`t think you can apply any other way.
                          If not clear-coated ,it wears thru eventually but is great at hiding dirt.
                          It usually needs a base primer for the background ,then a splatter layer is applied until even and fully covered.Too thick and it droops and comes off with a fingernail.
                          A qt of interdeck can be poured out and rolled alot quicker than time ti gather your spraying equipment.
                          Would look factory so if $ no option.....
                          Combine both methods and clearcoat the Zolatone with some Walnut shells mixed in for traction.Then add snap-in carpets and you`ll be covered.
                          TM
                          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
                          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
                          SeaRay 175BR
                          Hi-Laker lapline
                          14` Trailorboat

Comment

Paint

There are two types of Zolatone. the one you mentioned and the old fashion one that a takes a pressure tank set up. Check out Rodda paint they have a Marine line. My store in Eugene has a great person that knows all bout it. If you want the splatter effect thow sprinkles on wet paint like garage floor paint. Search spatter paint effect on Google for more ideas.

Good Luck

Comment

I like what they look like once they have been Rugged BUT you had better like it as once you have gone to the Rug, removing it and going back to paint, forget that.
                              Trying to get that never hard glue off is next to impossible. Other cutting agents that you can use turns it into soft snot.
                              Sanding it off, better have Tons of sand paper.
                              Heat some times makes it softer when scraping (yeah, Fire and Fiberglass or wood, that works)
                              Lots of claims on how to remove Glue but hey, Nothing is Wipe on, Wipe off.
                              If so, I would sure as hell like to see it.

If your on the fence, this should turn you towards paint.

Me on My boats, or the people that would let me on there boats, I would lay down Glass Matting, glass is down, then paint it with nonskid gray paint by Interlux.
                              Just using the Interlux every couple of years makes things look new again anyway.
                              Touch up is Easy too.. :TwoCents1:
                              Helmar Joe Johanesen
                              1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                              1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                              Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                              2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                              http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                              X