No announcement yet.

Poulsbo Boat Pocket Cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few weeks ago I potted around South Sound for five days, giving the Poulsbo Boat its first real cruising test. Along with old friend Tom Richards, who brought his vintage 22' motor dory, we managed to explore the far reaches of four inlets--Eld, Totten, Little Skookum and Hammersley.

The little Poulsbo Boat is definitely a MICRO cruiser, with just enough room in the cabin for one person and his gear. While the V-berth has enough room for a cruising couple, the reality is that you need to pack half of the forepeak-berth area solid with camping gear, extra clothes, food items, etc., so it would only work for two if you were out for a max of 1-2 nights, hauling minimal gear.

We launched both boats at the nice county ramp next to the Hartstine Island bridge, on Pickering Passage. The ramp fee is whatever you want to drop in the donation box, and boaters are free to leave their tow rigs in the parking lot overnight, with no restriction on the length of time you're boating.

After loading gear, we spent the five days thoroughly exploring every back bay, cove, island and headwater marsh we could find in the four inlets, starting with Hammersley and continuing with Eld, Totten and Little Skookum Inlet...the last one being my favorite because of its inaccessibility (only navigable at a medium to high tide), its absence of houses compared to the other inlets, and its pure beauty.

It was a fantastic cruise, with decent weather (just before the recent rainstorms hit), and as always in South Sound, an absence of many other boats. Some of our overnight anchorages included the cove just inside Eagle Point, at the western end of Hammersley Inlet; Hope Island Marine State Park, and Wildcat Cove, at the entrance to Little Skookum Inlet.

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Love that shot with the Dory in the fog. Looks and sounds like it was a great outing Marty. That's how I like to cruise, whether in the boat or the kayak, just take my time and hit all the little nooks and crannies.
      Steve Kiesel
      1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Marty, That is some great pictures ! I remember that bridge as we zip past there last year with Allan & Sue in their Dorsett Farallon also with BruceB with his Skagit. Thanks for posting them. Best,Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Wow! Cool boat, cruise and pictures! Thanks for posting, Marty. I'm trying to remember to scan the slides I found of my brother's 16 Poulsbo boat, Chickadee. It had a small cabin and a 10 HP air cooled Wisconsin engine.
          Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Working...
          X