The "Last Customer Boat"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Last Customer Boat"

This afternoon what I've been calling the "last customer boat" rolled out of the boatshop--the project being a 1939 Lyman 21-foot Deluxe Runabout model belonging to Tom Brown of Seattle. While we've completed 90% of the boat's restoration (new deck, windshield, partially new mahogany transom, plank repairs, new oak forefoot and lots of paint and varnish), Tom will complete the job in a rental space not far from home.

The boat will be powered by a GM 327 V-8 we'd been holding for several years, knowing it would someday be just right for a project boat. (Thanks to Helmar for coming up to help get the 327 running smoothly.)

My retirement plan is to keep working on boats, but shift focus to restoring my own rotters, selling them when finished…and also building some new boats. I've got at least a year's worth of project boats to deal with before I even think about new construction, and it looks like the first restoration will be a vintage 14' Davis Boat. We restored a nearly identical Davis Boat years ago for Chuck, so I'm looking forward to working on this one.

I just tried uploading a photo of the 1939 Lyman…a sweet old lapstrake runabout with laid-mahogany deck and solid mahogany transom…but got a message saying the file was too large. I'll shrink the image down and post it alongside this message later this evening.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 26537, member: 3
    This afternoon what I've been calling the "last customer boat" rolled out of the boatshop--the project being a 1939 Lyman 21-foot Deluxe Runabout model belonging to Tom Brown of Seattle. While we've completed 90% of the boat's restoration (new deck, windshield, partially new mahogany transom, plank repairs, new oak forefoot and lots of paint and varnish), Tom will complete the job in a rental space not far from home.

The boat will be powered by a GM 327 V-8 we'd been holding for several years, knowing it would someday be just right for a project boat. (Thanks to Helmar for coming up to help get the 327 running smoothly.)

My retirement plan is to keep working on boats, but shift focus to restoring my own rotters, selling them when finished…and also building some new boats. I've got at least a year's worth of project boats to deal with before I even think about new construction, and it looks like the first restoration will be a vintage 14' Davis Boat. We restored a nearly identical Davis Boat years ago for Chuck, so I'm looking forward to working on this one.

I just tried uploading a photo of the 1939 Lyman…a sweet old lapstrake runabout with laid-mahogany deck and solid mahogany transom…but got a message saying the file was too large. I'll shrink the image down and post it alongside this message later this evening.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Okay, here's a smaller photo of the 1939 Lyman, which will hopefully upload okay.

- Marty[ATTACH]15069[/ATTACH]
      Attached Files

Comment

BEAUTIFUL

Comment

Originally posted by 61_express, post: 26541, member: 942
          BEAUTIFUL
          ^^^
          this!

Comment

Ole, you can upload up to 20 images of 800 x 600 in size so, lets have them.
            I have seen the boat and this is not her best side......
            Helmar Joe Johanesen
            1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
            1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
            Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
            2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
            http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Nice lines on the Lyman. Keep us posted on your projects Marty. Love seeing those jewels you turn out.
              Steve Kiesel
              1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Wow. What great lines. Nice work!
                John Forsythe

'59 Bellboy 404 - Pretty Girl
                Past Affairs:
                '61 Marathon - Jammie Dodger

Comment

Wow!
                  Captain Tim (McSkagit) Jones 1959 Skagit 31 Saratogan

http://www.closeencountersecotours.com

Pay it forward.......take a kid for a boat ride

Comment

Originally posted by McSkagit Tim Jones, post: 26633, member: 28
                    Wow!
                    Hey Tim. If you look at the avatar images, you will see that some of them are pretty clear.
                    We fixed it so you can upload a bigger picture, more clear so 800 x 600 works, give it a try.
                    Helmar Joe Johanesen
                    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Working...
                    X