Making some progress on my homebuilt Sea Knight cruiser

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making some progress on my homebuilt Sea Knight cruiser

Just wanted to share some recent photos of my building project.

Craig
    Attached Files

Very nice work! That's a unique boat for sure! Looks really wide for it's length, how big is it?
    Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
    1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Hello Brian, the Sea Knight is normally a 17' length but I stretched it 15" but kept the beam per the plan at about 7'6" I still have a lot of work but maybe next late summer I might be nearly completed. I also am working on my Bearcat 55 for use on this boat. Hopefully everything will work out. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Now that looks like a real boat. Nothing better than a wood boat on the water. Good luck with the Bearcat. That motor will be a nice match with the boat.
        Steve Kiesel
        1959 Glasspar Seafair Sedan

Comment

Hey Craig. That looks nice. I really like what you did to the transom area and that motor tub area by making it smaller.
          That is such a waste of room now of days its not funny.
          Most engines back then were 35's and you could put the battery, fuel cell/tank, and battery all in the back.
          I took one sneaker over the back and filled up that bucket and never again...
          Too much wasted space.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen
          1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
          1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
          Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
          2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
          http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

I thought I would post a few more photos of the boat work. Curently I am trying to construct an upper cabin top/flybridge windshield that will be removable. I also have been machining lumber for the cabin Gal/Lav cabinets doors and will do so also for a planned bench seat at the transom area. lots to do. I really need to get more aquinted with my Bearcat 55 by running it and getting some compression numbers etc. I will have to stop the oil leaks as well before I can use it. Oh and I also have to make up my mind about fuel placement and battery etc.
            Attached Files

Comment

The helm looks good. Should be room for some gauges and electronics. The Sea Knight is a really good looking design. I like it.
              Steve Kiesel

Comment

Thanks Steve, I may move it down a couple of inches but until I purchase my steering system I am not sure. I think I am going to mount my VHF on top of the cabin along with an eventual small GPS and like you suggest a few instruments and elec. panel on the helm box. I think I am going to put my fuel tanks under boxes that will support the helm seats as well. So I will have to figure out how to plumb all that.

Comment

Here's a shot of my wood boat. I use it for fishing here in Central Oregon. It's a Glen-L design, built by a fellow in Portland. The fuel tank is in front of the center console with all the plumbing running under the deck to the transom. The steering and electrical also run under the deck. Makes for clean install, just hope I never have to get to it for maintenance.

IMG_0855.JPG
                  Steve Kiesel

Comment

Both of these are great looking boats!

Comment

Very Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Aho, post: 28999, member: 2327
                        Just wanted to share some recent photos of my building project.

Craig
                        Beautiful boat, looking forward to seeing it all finished.
                        Lyle
                        "Adrift in a sea of information looking for answers to bring me home"

The Build:
                        The Dorsett
                        Photos:
                        1960 Dorsett Catalina

Comment

Thank you Lyle. At this point I am trying to construct a flybridge windshield, lots of compound angles which give me a headache. I have one frame assembled but I still need to route a rabbited edge for the glass and then start on the next panel. I did make up a center post and attach some cleats to the cabin top. I plan to make the screen removable.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Craig, I would suggest you cut out some cardboard templates for what you want your glass shape to be. Then take those to a glass shop for quoting. If you get too large, or have any bending the price can quickly go through the roof!! There is a very good reason why most of our boats actually use old automotive windshields (either perfect match or cut down from standard). I like the idea of the upper windshield being removable, you can fit into low garages and you can get the wind in your face on hot summer days!!
                            Brian Flaherty

"How can you discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

1969 Chris Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "Tupperware"
                            1965 Performer Havoc (sold)

Comment

Making some progress on the frames.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X