Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58 Skagit express 20' Restore (up north edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have two fuel tanks with sending units in her with fuel gauges, you could loose one of them and use one with a DPDT toggle switch. Switch it to the left for the port tank, then to the right for the starboard tank. Might save you a little room too.
    Helmar Joe Johanesen
    1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
    1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
    Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
    2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
    http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

My Tyee inboard is constructed similar. I did some successful tests making forms out of 1" styrofoam insulation screwed together then painted with three coats of pva to keep it from melting. You should be able to make any shape boxes you want.

Comment

Any updates Gabe?

Comment

Yeah its been slow because life but been doing some grinding here and there. Over the last month we have finally made some decisions and got the weatherdeck in. We decided were going to do a center diamond plate stainless fuel tank that will carry somewhere in the 42-48 gallon range. This tanks will sit over the 2 deck sections you will see in the picks and will be about 6’ long. We raised the deck as well. Framed in with 2x4s mostly. Screwed, 3/4 oz mat and bondo to make sure there are no creaks or breaks in the framing. Mostly at the transitions corners and what have you. We used that plasic stuff and are doing at least 2 layers of 1.5 oz mat on each side so that is is a solid deck and still maintaining being lighter than laminated plywood. We put a 2x12 where the pedestal is going to land so we have extra beef for the big boys that ride along .

The deck will be glassed with 2-4 layers of 3/4 mat from the deck down to the keel centerline to insure no leaks, and to fill in some bad factory laminations and thin spots.
          Attached Files
          Gabe Williamson
          Soldotna, Alaska

Work - 2001 Bollinger Mini OSV 150' 2 Cat 3516c hd
          Side job - 1978 Bruno Stilman 35' Rebuilt in 1993 (38') Ford Lehman SP135

Play/projects - and works in progress between Dad and I
          1958 Skagit 20' Express - projected Mercruiser MCM170 or 4stroke 115 outboard
          1964 Reinell 18' - 85hp Mercury Almost ready for seatrial
          197? Glassply 24' - Ford V8 I/O

Comment

I forgot we also added the knees 45*s back in that we took out to replace the transom. In my mind they are as strong or stronger than the previous hollow roving ones.
            Gabe Williamson
            Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

You've made some progress, looks good. Why raise the floor? I wasn't sure if you're doing a floor tank or...?
              Not to sound negative, but with the floor raised that much a hardtop would make you have to duck to get to the helm (assuming you use the measurements I'm sending your way). I'm 5'8 and fit comfortably with the stock dimensions. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                You've made some progress, looks good. Why raise the floor? I wasn't sure if you're doing a floor tank or...?
                Not to sound negative, but with the floor raised that much a hardtop would make you have to duck to get to the helm (assuming you use the measurements I'm sending your way). I'm 5'8 and fit comfortably with the stock dimensions. Just a thought...
                Honestly i wanted it lower but yes thats the reason was because of the belly tank, and my dad and i stuggle to find middle ground on this project. Its easier to just roll with his punches. Besides, it’s actually only changing the height of the sides. The middle deck was that high when we got it (but rotted out.
                And, the only time your going to be standing under the top is to walk yo helm or cuddy cabin. All the standing will be in the back.

Gabe Williamson
                Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

I get it. Does your dad have any early pics when it was being used? Those would be cool to see!

Comment

Negative, he bought it over in seward about 20-25 years ago. He saw this one or a bell boy with a 50hp johnson on it an he love had to have one. Then it sat in the dirt for that long til i used a trailer found from the landfill and hauled it to where it currently resides.

So ive been looking over various cleet resourse from you and others on here and opted for the bigger 8” modern chrome vintage ones from west marine because the the docks arent quite as nice and we require bigger lines for the currents and what not.

The transom cut out template should be here late January and the deck is non skid and gelcoated.

For those not on the fb page here is the 1000 bucks worth of assorted crap (mostly wiring related) that i got from west marine last Thursday.

Also test fit the engine before gelcoat.
                    Gabe Williamson
                    Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Yep, looking good man!

Comment

Any other bits you need e.g. lights, trim etc... I'll keep an eye out...

Comment

No im going with led stuff, and im avoiding trim and may do chrome pinstriping. Because as we all know those holes are a pain to fill.
                          Gabe Williamson
                          Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Gabe what color gelcoat are you thinking? Any other updates?

Comment

Kelly, we had a little falling out so i havent seen the progression in over 30 days. Well, that and ive been working alot (my big boat is in shipyard) so i havent even been staying at my house. Last place we left off was arguing about engines, and i did sneak home a couple days after that and he was working on glassing in vent ducting. Last thing i was doing was building deck hatches for the cuddy cabin. The center will be under deck storage for something. Also for ease of just checking it out.

To answer your color question i believe we are going to change the current white to a victory red and like a light haze grey where it is green. Its a timeless two tone scheme and the grey will cover up the grime from our crappy roads because we have to tow the boat at least 50 miles to do any real boating.

Gabe Williamson
                              Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Oh i never posted these pics. The deck area is nonskided amd gelcoated, outdrive hole is cut and glassed, also the door and door frame are built.
                                For those not on the fb group, kelly and i had a pretty good lil chat about an alternative for rub rail material... its an italian pruduct. It runs almost 2 times the price of wefco.

For those curious look up radial 65 rub rail, its a 2 step sysem and makes it easier to replace down the line.
                                Attached Files
                                Gabe Williamson
                                Soldotna, Alaska

Comment

Working...
                                X