Pecking Away at the Lady Clipper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pecking Away at the Lady Clipper

We continue to do a little bit here and there on the 1955 Lady Clipper 18 Express, which now has two coats of topside paint and a bit of varnish on the mahogany cabinsides. (Photo below...)

I'd been hoping to have the Lady Clipper ready for Alder Lake, but the revised target is the Columbia River adventure over the July 11-12 weekend. (Hey, it'll be there for sure, done or not...and at this point I can guarantee that it won't be truly finished, just sort of functional.)

We're coming to Alder Lake without a boat, and will join Bruce Drake aboard his Skagit 20 Offshore when it comes to treasure-hunting. (Wouldn't miss Jack Dando's ribs for anything--boat or no boat!)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Lady

Marty

The Lady looks real good !! What kind of paint do you use and do you roll or Spray? I won't be able to bring my Glasspar since my trailer needs work. I'm still planning to drive out to Alder to meet some club members and take some pics. Marty does the club have hats or t-shirts ?

George

Comment

Love the blue hull look Marty! I cant wait to see the little gem all freshened up! By the way, I have your paperwork I will bring with me to Alder. See you Saturday.
      BRIAN FRANCHINI
      LAKE TAPPS, WA.

Comment

Lady in Blue...

George -

The Lady Clipper's hullside paint is Interlux Toplac, Mauritius Blue, rolled and tipped with a bristle brush. The plywood hull is sufficiently imperfect--no matter what you do in terms of prep--that I'll probably add a dulling agent to the last coat, so that I end up with a satin or semi-gloss finish that doesn't show the hull's inherent glitches as much.

The deck is painted with Interlux's Interdeck product, with built-in non-skid 'sand,' and the bottom is Interlux Vivid, in a bright red. I was earlier planning to have a white bootstripe, but that would be too dressy looking for a 1955 plywood cruiser, so I'll stick with the original Lady Clipper paint scheme, wherein the bottom paint meets the hullside paint directly, without any fancy-schmancy bootstripe.

No club hats or shirts, yet, but stay tuned...

- Marty
        Attached Files
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty, that looks gorgeous. Digital photos hide flaws but I would imagine that the ones you mentioned are exaggerated by you. We always see everything wrong with our own boats! I hope I am using a quality paint for my BB. I chose the single part Pettit Easypoxy topside paint. I de-waxed, sanded and primed with their primer. The off-white was applied to the transom this evening. I will wait a day or so and then wet sand and apply another coat. How many coats of the Easypoxy would you recommend over gelcoat?

Thanks,

Bob

Comment

Working...
          X