Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'56 BellBoy Re-Restoration (Step by Step)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rubrail options?

Hey Mark,
    Any tips or numbers for rubrail on the Bellboy?
    I got one in final stages of assy and am looking to replace Oak that was too far gone to re-use.....
    Anything you found or know would be great.
    TimM
    unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
    15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
    SeaRay 175BR
    Hi-Laker lapline
    14` Trailorboat

Comment

Hi Tim,

I ended up buying a newer style rubrail from Taco. I looked at some of the original style reproductions and decided I just didn't like em.

Here's the style that I'm going to use:

http://tacomarine.com/item--1-1-2-x-...-A11-0638.html

I wanted aluminum rail but didn't want it to look too modern, the added pointed rubber insert gives it a classy look in my opinion.

Good timing by the way... I'm hoping to get the rub rail installed this weekend. I'm on a mad dash to make Mason. I'll take some pics for you when I get it on there.
      Mark
      Silverdale, WA.
      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Mark -

The 56 BB 16 looks magnificent. I read with interest about your painstaking prep work. It looks as if it REALLY paid off. I did not want to attempt spraying the Perfection paint on my BellBoy mainly because of the equipment costs but also the health hazards inherent in spraying that kind of paint. So, I did a great deal of prep work with hours of sanding. I sanded the miserable paint job from last summer off the top side, then used an orbital DA sander for the entire boat down to the water line. The 404 Primecoat is a joy to sand smooth and the Perfection oyster white went on with a roller alone on my warm painting days. I had no sags or runs for both coats. What I do have are some little patches of stipple from the roller. When I rub my hand over them it feels like 40 grit sandpaper here and there. I am tempted to sand and buff them smooth. What was your experience with sanding the Perfection with 1200? What compound did you use for buffing after that? Did you use a wool bonnet or foam? Did it gloss up when buffing? This paint is SO hard, I wonder if it would even buff at all?

Would love to hear about it.
        Thanks,

Bob
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Bob, your BB turned out really nice as well. Great job on the repaint!
          At this point I really don't have any buffing advice since I haven't actually tried it yet...

Looking closer at my paint job I don't think I'm going to wet sand it. I think I can go straight to buffing with a 3 stage system. Fine cut cleaner first, polish, then glaze should work fine for me. I'll let you know how well it works hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
          Mark
          Silverdale, WA.
          1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Tick Tock ...

Mark, Mason Lake is coming up fast and Slo-mo is gainin' on ya ... I'd hate to lose a race to someone named Slo-mo ... :BigHappy1:

Comment

Mason Lake Debuts

Mark -

It'll be great to see the Bell Boy 16 at Mason Lake, along with Slo-Mo's groundbreaking three-dimensional PhotoShop creation, the "Glastron," and the hologram he keeps referring to his "wife," Holly. We'll believe both when we see them, but we know the BB16 is real.

- Marty
              http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Marty.

I think maybe you've been watching to much Red Dwarf on PBS.

Imaginary friends I can relate to, but holograms, I don't think so.:nono1::nono1:
                Lovely La Rue and the Kingston Kid

Rhapsody - 2001 Classic Craft Gentleman's Racer (FOR SALE)
                Lil' Red - 1957 Bell Boy Express 18 ft Cruiser (someday!)

Comment

Chrome cost?

Would it be possible to show a picture of what was chromed and give the cost. It will help us people who suffer from sticker shock to step up when the time comes. Hopefully Ill be pleasantly suprised. John

Comment

truth is stranger than fiction...

Originally posted by Marty Loken (Norseboater), post: 13442
                    Mark -

It'll be great to see the Bell Boy 16 at Mason Lake, along with Slo-Mo's groundbreaking three-dimensional PhotoShop creation, the "Glastron," and the hologram he keeps referring to his "wife," Holly. We'll believe both when we see them, but we know the BB16 is real.

- Marty
                    Hey! at least I'm photoshopping a derelict Glastron back from oblivion. Mark was crazy enough to rip into a perfectly good, restored, Honda powered creampuff- because he happened to stroll through the museum in Bellingham...and "had to have" the penultimate Bell Boy.

Looking good Mark, can't wait to see the twins.

P.S. there are benefits to being married to a hologram...

Comment

John, I'll have to see if I can find the receipt. If I remember right it ranged anywhere from $75-400 per piece depending on size and how much restoration metal work was required. I'm not sure I want to even add it all up at this point.

Slo-mo... I can't argue the crazy point. I've gone off the deep end for sure. Hope to see you at Mason! I'm showing up with with the BB even if it has to stay on the trailer.
                      Mark
                      Silverdale, WA.
                      1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

BellBoyBob

Bob,

To answer your question about buffing Perfection paint... I would avoid it!

This stuff is super tough when cured. I tried wet sanding and buffing my hatch cover since I figured worst case I'd just repaint it if it turned out bad. Well after the sanding and applying four different stages of compound I decided to give up. I couldn't get it to gloss up as nice as the untouched paint.

My paint job will remain as is, it's not worth the extreme amount of labor to make it 100% in my opinion. Runs and orange peel just add more character to these old boats...
                        Mark
                        Silverdale, WA.
                        1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

Updates

Well, in the mad rush to make Mason Lake this year I skipped documenting most of the final assembly of "Green Bean". I do have a few pictures though that I thought I'd share.

One of the major holdups completing the boat this summer was the windshield. It was probably the most labor intensive part of the boat. There were many times I walked in the garage, looked at it, then decided to go back into the house.

There were hundreds of pinholes to fill, holes, and stress cracks all over it. Not to mention needing the center support reformed to match the lines of the rest of the windshield.

Before:

After:

The cabin of the boat needed some attention as well. I sanded and smoothed the rough areas in preparation for a new coat of non-skid paint.

Before:

After:

Here are some shots after getting home from Mason Lake.

What's next? I need to get the second Johnson on the back, wire the boat and finish the interior. Interior plans include new seat cushions for the cabin/cuddy plus a removable carpet mat for the floor. Just a bit more work to be done before I can call her complete. To be continued next summer...
                          Mark
                          Silverdale, WA.
                          1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

A few pics from Mason Lake...

Mark
                            Silverdale, WA.
                            1956 BellBoy Express 16

Comment

She's really beautiful Mark, it was good to see her on the water.

Comment

Mark, Thank you for all the information and pictures. I am in the process of repainting my Skagit. I have owned it for 13 years and I've always wanted to repaint it with a more original paint pattern but have never had time. I have done a lot of retouching but never a full paint job. So far I have about 50 hrs. into filling holes and sanding on the deck,cuddy and window frame. Today I will start the haul and hopefully this week end I can get over to Tim's shop to prime. I'm using Interlux primer and Interlux Brightside. I'm going to roll and tip two coats of primer and four coats of paint. I am taking pictures as I go along which I will post when I finish. You did a great job and if I can get close to that I will be satisfied.:cool1:
                                Greg James

Comment

Working...
                                X