No announcement yet.

G-3 Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim, I just read this thread word for word and You know your stuff. I cant wait untill your next update. It's going to be so much fun... Oh, are you going to use a pad for the bottom and what about the hook on some g3's. Have you put a streight edge on your bottom? Mike
    >>>Mike<<<

Comment

Lookin' Good, Tim!

Fun project for me to follow, Tim! Will you need a pilot's license when finished??? -Ken

Comment

Tim, I like 904-QW febel-flexer sealent for a fast cure around the rubrail. Chuck
        1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
        1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Seated and trailered!

Mike Called it,
          Hate to say it ,but like Ken`s Skagit bottom,no straight edge needed to see the hook.
          I pulled the hull onto the trailer and sure am seeing some built-in trim tabs......that will rob top speed if not addressed.
          Some bottom extensions re-sembling trim tabs may soon be added,probably a quick Doorskin session with some Carbon fiber to make sure it holds the weight of the hull when crash landing at speed.
          Pad may end up being a step to break the tension of calm water.
          The Spoon is not a good high speed design.
          A pair of lifting strakes straddling the engine will give me some Traction and hopefully enough lift to lower my Drag coefficient.
          Doing any of these without disturbing water to the prop will be my focus.
          Sail Battons and Masking tape are perfect for forming these!
          Being the first(actually 2nd hull but it was a sister-boat) SAFE boatowner and "Crash Test Dummy"/Owner who got to work on the early prototypes gave me some insider knowledge.It happens to have the spoon bottom and porpoises when trimmed out too far,basically just like what I read on the G-3 boards.....except it weighs 5 times more,and still does 48.
          I`ve "Flown" off Ocean Waves at 45 mph in 10-15 seas learning the art of controlled crashing and controlled flight.
          Having the hull parked alongside the Seafair yesterday was really special and serious eye candy......the Sun even came out for the pictures.
          The rubrail was done in a couple sessions,the Slow cure SikaFlex LOT,long-open-time gave me a few days to work.I opted for the flexible type on the Splashwell and rear seams so it can be removed without destroying things.
          Got the Fron seat bottom assy in ,BTW,just one drain tube install with a hanging motor poised to drop in place for some testing.
          Broke some bolts adj the trailer....glad it was found now and not sprawled across I-99.
          Pics coming.....camera issues to resolve.
          I am trying to run this for the New Years on the Canal and to Ivar`s.Might bring both MR. and Miss Bee Haven!
          TimM
          Attached Files
          unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
          15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
          SeaRay 175BR
          Hi-Laker lapline
          14` Trailorboat

Comment

A nice Pair,Two Glasspars!

Sorry for the dark and cluttered pics,our driveway gets weird light these short days and seems to not have much room for more.
            The hulls are the same year,1959,and look like they could have come from the same plant.
            Serious eye candy,swoopy curves,stripes and similar chines.Eery.
            Wife still doesn`t see why....she likes motorcycles so just wait until that first ride.
            TimM
            Attached Files
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

Tim, Looking real good ! What is that tinted plastic thing on the deck for...Hum..Chuck
              1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
              1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

That would be my Poor Man`s window visor.....best for deflecting Willow branches on a certain Slough.
                Got my Yamaha 55 2 cyl mounted for some test use.
                Looking even better.
                Trimmed all the way out ,Cav plate came out about 1 `` above the bottom.No electric trim and manual tilting on this little motor for shallow water impacts and lighter weight.
                TimM
                EDIT: Here is the Slough set-up,notice the trimmed skeg,must be worth a few extra MPH at least.
                Ran out of primer so I left it kinda rough looking.Might need to lower the motor so I`ll test run a time or two before the event.
                Attached Files
                SeaRay 175BR
                Hi-Laker lapline
                14` Trailorboat

Comment

As if you don't have other priorities...

Tim,

How is your g3 coming, any testing yet? Looking forward to running the slough alongside your handiwork.

Comment

Greg,
                    Had my world put on hold for a month,and then another day lost to my Fishtank blowing apart one night......enough water for the whole year.
                    Sold an extra Boat so I`m finally able to gas up and maybe test this week.
                    Painted the G-3 Transom with some leftover 2 part from a 1972 Boston Whaler I`m trying to re-assemble.Only minor wiring and a bilge pump remain to do.
                    Wasn`t sure I`d make the event until yesterday,now I`m feeling more likely to pull it off.
                    Oh yeah,the slough usually is safer single file ,so you go first!
                    Actually ,Tom Horn will be first as usual.
                    TimM
                    SeaRay 175BR
                    Hi-Laker lapline
                    14` Trailorboat

Comment

You're no fun Tim, running side by each sounds more entertaining.

Glad to hear your month is looking better, see you there.

Comment

Working...
                      X