Finally back at it!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally back at it!

I haven't posted any thing for some time.So I'll just start where I left off. During the summer we built a new shop here at the house, so that used up all the time for boat work. I was looking at the Sportsman project.... The hull is essentially done the only thing keeping me from setting the upper deck back on was the splash well. I had already roughed it back to shape on the topside, but underneath the 40 some odd year old ply that stiffened up the bottom was pretty rotten. I cut it in half then cut the tabs loose and off it came. I cut another, out of some 3/8ths ply, then glued and tabbed it back on.
    The transom I put in last winter, just needed a little roughing up and it and the face of the splash-well are ready for a dollop of epoxy. After several test fits and a little grinding here and there,I was ready to start hunting down clamps! Moving from one shop to another, it seems like I spend half the time looking for stuff. O well . Found enough clamps to secure the splash pan while the epoxy dries. I'll move the gantry in and get set up to set the top back on next! - Ross
    Attached Files
    Ross Henson

Welcome back!

Hey Ross,
    Glad to se you're back at it. It was good to see you at the meeting, keep us posted on your progress!

Comment

Thanks Tim, man this is fun! While the epoxy was drying on the splash I set up my crude gantry. I sort of took liberties with a graceful one that Marty posted pics of sometime back. Its not pretty but its held up anything Ive hooked to it so far! I was able to lift the deck up so I could get 45 inches of clearance to slide the hull (on a low cart) under. That sounds easy now but I am working alone so it takes a while. The deck wanted to fold in the middle so I wound up with a spiderweb of lumber to hold it flat.
      After some creative cribbing to hold everything steady (sorta) I was able to lower the deck on the hull. I was a little concerned that the hull might have changed shape or something, new floor,transom, a bunch of stringer work, but it lined up and lowered right on.
      Now the work I'll do will show a little more. Onward! - Ross
      Attached Files
      Ross Henson

Comment

Lifting Things...

Ross -

The project's looking great; I like the idea of a splashwell that can be worked on as a separate box, then attached to the transom. (Will have to keep that in mind for future projects...especially when a boat doesn't come with its own built-in splashwell.)

Isn't it amazing how strong a simple gantry design can be? We've been lifting all kinds of junk with our crude plywood-and-2x8 contraption, and my only wish is that we had some big inflated-tire caster wheels on the beast so it would be easier to move around on gravel...since that's the only surface we have outside of the shop.

You probably said before, but what are you going to power the Sportsman with?

- Marty
        http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Hey Marty, The splashwell was different than alot that I've seen attached to the transom aft then screwed to the deck on the front side. I guess that would make for easy installation at the factory. I'm going to put a waterproof hatch in the bottom of the well to access the drain plugs and such. The seat and splash add up to almost 3 feet from the transom, so its almost impossible to reach it .
          I put my gantry together so it can be disassembled by removing 6 bolts, but I agree wheels would be a nice touch. - Ross
          Ross Henson

Comment

holy cow

I think the previous owners added on every bolt on, screw on, accessory available. The deck had holes in it every where. It would be interesting to know the history on these old boats.
            I started filling the holes then fairing them all together so hopefully I wont have a boat with more waves than the water it will be in! After a long session sanding, a mask job and primer.
            I guess I am going to have to pick the color soon. I sure am enjoying the new hobby shop. My wife calls it the "Garage Mahal", she is so funny!
            Attached Files
            Ross Henson

Comment

Lookin good, Ross. Whatchya gonna call her ... "Pin Cushion"?

Comment

Working...
              X