Falls Flyer Restoration Started

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not soon enough !

Hopefully July ??? It starts to get expensive from here on out . So alot will depend on cash flow. Trying to buy a little at a time so it's not such an impact , Paint, upholstery, Motor , Triple crown coming up
    Rick & Sarah

1959 Larson "Falls Flyer"

Comment

That is sure looking good.
      Needs structure like your doing. Good job !!!
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Up-date on the resto .

Been awhile since I've posted any progress . I've been doing the slow tedious parts such as reinforcing the gunnel's with new plywood . They are all glassed in and secure now I have a good solid structure to attach the side panels when time comes. Got the first piece of the seat supports glassed in so now I have something to level to for the rest of them. Got all the hardware dry fit so I won't have to drill through the new paint. So I'm moving along but this working for a living has slowed the boat building down quite a bit. Glove box was painted aluminium and it polished up real nice. Wish I had her ready for opening day ,but then I wouldn't be able to get the day off so I will just plug along !
        Attached Files
        Rick & Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by bham-rick, post: 10620
          Been awhile since I've posted any progress . I've been doing the slow tedious parts such as reinforcing the gunnel's with new plywood . They are all glassed in and secure now I have a good solid structure to attach the side panels when time comes. Got the first piece of the seat supports glassed in so now I have something to level to for the rest of them. Got all the hardware dry fit so I won't have to drill through the new paint. So I'm moving along but this working for a living has slowed the boat building down quite a bit. Glove box was painted aluminium and it polished up real nice. Wish I had her ready for opening day ,but then I wouldn't be able to get the day off so I will just plug along !
          Its really surprising how long those little tedious jobs take, But, they have to happen. Just did a bunch of tedious glass work on a project today.

Looken Good !!!. That is going to be a sweet ride for sure.
          Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

getting #$*t done...

Way to stay on task Rick, the dash package looks great. Sweet polished glove box! That old girl can't wait to get on the water.:boater1:

Comment

Raw Foam

I had a piece of plywood screwed to the opening of the bow void and had a sheet of wax paper on the back . I removed the plywood to make sure the void was filled and also to remove the wax paper. This is what it looks like. came out pretty solid. Now I'm coating the plywood with resin on both sides and the edges and will re- screw to the bow. Then I have a piece of Mahogany plywood that will cover the plywood then trim it out.
              Attached Files
              Rick & Sarah

Comment

Stern work

Put some wood in the stern so I have a secure spot for the gas tank and Battery box. Cut a 2x4 up and glassed it to the bottom so I have a spot to put an Eye bolt and then glassed a piece of wood to the Transom so I could run a bungee to hold the tank in place for those sharp turns. On the Starboard side I glued a couple strips one on the Bottom and one mid way up the side then I'm starting a spot to build a battery box. With the strips on the side I can use Eye screws and bungees to hold whatever I need such as hand operated bilge pump, Oar Etc.
                Boat building , you got to love it , " Measure 10 times and cut 7 " Many angles .
                Very time consuming part of the process !!
                Attached Files
                Rick & Sarah

Comment

Thanks for all the great photos Rick, it's pretty cool to see the whole process, even the "dirty" work that ain't all that much fun.

Are you anxious to start working on the exterior for a change?

Tim

Comment

It's all going at the same time

I've been doing that also . When the Resin is kicking I sand , grind, drill and fill the cracks and dings on the exterior. I've also been taking pieces off the trailer and working on them also. It's all going - It's just easier and looks like I'm making progress with the interior stuff. What I can't wait for is to get the bulk of the inside stuff done and turn it over and do the bottom. Then PAINT !! That's when it will look like it's close . Just have to plug away for now.
                    Attached Files
                    Rick & Sarah

Comment

Man, you have been busy! That's quite the spiderweb you've got there, was that the only place it was that extensive?

Comment

Good pictures, good progress for sure.
                        Are you going to be able to pull those tanks easily enough for filling and putting them back in?

Something that I had learned some time ago about plastic tanks and filling with the static electricity. Most any tank with the metal fuel sender in it, you can attach a ground wire to one of the bolts that hold the sender onto/into the tank.
                        No more Kaboom.:Scared2:

All the glass support work you have been doing in her will sure pay off in the end...
                        Great Job :GoodJob:
                        Helmar Joe Johanesen

Our Sister club

Comment

That was the worse

Originally posted by Tim McCrain, post: 10822
                          Man, you have been busy! That's quite the spiderweb you've got there, was that the only place it was that extensive?
                          Had some in the splash well also but the stuff on the Port side was by far the worse. Lots of small ones here and there . Its alot less work to grind them out and fill than it is to re-place a section

Answer to Helmar : I hope so ?? The way the back seat works, is like a car and the back pulls out so It should be easy to get in and out . I don't expect to do alot of long cruises with this boat so I shouldn't have to switch alot of tanks while underway .
                          Attached Files
                          Rick & Sarah

Comment

Norwegian Boat Saw

Had to break out the Finish saw today to make some end supports for the seats. Measure ?, never ,just dig in ! This blade is a cutting fool . Makes for a quick fit. Starting to glass in all the seat supports and building the seat storage compartments. This is really going to stiffen her up better than new ! :Skipper1:
                            Attached Files
                            Rick & Sarah

Comment

Still plugging along

Been working on the seats and its a bit overkill, but labor is cheap at my house. Trying to get as much done as I can before the expensive items start . These seats are going to really stiffen this little boat up. Glassed everything in and water tight. Built a couple storage compartments in for some small stuff. I'll post two messages so I don't have too many pictures in one message. Hope to have this floating with some kind of power by the end of summer ?
                              Attached Files
                              Rick & Sarah

Comment

More progress

Here is the next part. Laminated some Mahogany together for a trim piece for the seats and have some stringers for a frame. Now I'm laminating some Mahogany and Holly wood for some hatch covers and the center is going to be a step to come up from the stern. Going to be hard to put cushions on this wood.
                                Picked up a couple cool Anchor hatch pulls that I'll inlay in the covers. I'm just getting the pieces cut for now and will permanently install after it's painted. Now move onto the rear seats CutUp1
                                Attached Files
                                Rick & Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X