Listed as 1958 Bell Boy 18 Lake Union

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listed as 1958 Bell Boy 18 Lake Union

Very nice looking boat but not a 1958 Bell Boy.
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2998169494.html
    Bruce H. Drake
    1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
    1957 Norseman 19' woodie
    1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
    1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

It's a Reinell...

...The cabin design is reminiscent of Bryants, but with a glass hull I'd say its a Reinell. (Doug Griffith had this model briefly, as I recall.)

Very nice boat, and great price with that particular engine.

- Marty
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Revealing details ....

I spoke to the owner and partially solved the Bellboy or not mystery... Apparently, it started as a Bellboy open runabout and was converted to a cuddy with the addition of a cuddy top. The owner thinks it was a Bryant top. I hope to peek at it for fun!

Comment

Question???

How does the Bellboy 18 hull ride compared to the Skagit and the Dorsett??

Comment

Ken -- Bell Boy 18

If it started out as a Bell Boy 18 convertible it would look like the one Marty has listed in the general forum under free boats. Another picture of the Marty's BB18 is attached on the left when it was in my driveway for awhile. Hull is pretty flat without a very sharp bow so I assume it would ride like a Skagit 18 (middle picture) not like a Glasspar 17 (on right). ((Lengths are optional since the Glasspar 17 is longer than the Skagit 18. The Bell boy 18 was probably 18'3" or about a foot longer than the other two.))
          Attached Files
          Bruce H. Drake
          1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
          1957 Norseman 19' woodie
          1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
          1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Seen it!

Hey Bruce,
            I happened to walk right by this one while going to a tender needing some rigging.....looked like it had half-round dashes on both sides what was originally a open runabout for sure.
            You can also see where they cut the front edge of the splashwell to accept the gunnel,the only slighlty sloppy pc. of the morphing.
            Boat is dirtier than shown,but semi-covered and in freshwater.
            As Marty points out ,the motor alone is worth the price.
            TimM
            ps For those wanting to see it too,it is near Discount Divers /Boat Electric along Westlake ave,really close to the Aurora Bridge.Looks for the rustic wooden gates and dark green Houseboat that looks like a sheet metal warehouse......boat is 20 feet from edge of the lake and bikepath.
            unk.year 10` Mahogeny "DragonFly"racer
            15` SAFE boat w/120 hp Johnson
            SeaRay 175BR
            Hi-Laker lapline
            14` Trailorboat

Comment

I saw it today....

It is an interesting redo... The built in seats from the runabout make for good seats in the cabin. The floor looks like it was foamed, at the back, anyway. Cute boat, not pristine, but not a project, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken, post: 22290
                How does the Bellboy 18 hull ride compared to the Skagit and the Dorsett??
                I didn't see this get answered Ken.

Well, in my personal opinion, the Skagits and Bellboys ride like a barn door with a motor on the back in compared to the Dorsetts.

Which is odd too...The Skagits, Bell Boys, and Uniflites were all designed up north and I have to tell you, Flat bottom riding whereas the Dorsett Catalina was from the San Francisco Bay area and the hull was designed for the rough water..
                Attached Files
                Helmar Joe Johanesen
                1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
                1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
                Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
                2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
                http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks, Helmar!!

Thanks for your thoughts, Helmar! I need to get a closer look and a ride in a Dorsett Catalina and a San Juan...

Comment

Working...
                  X