Free (*) Boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free (*) Boat

As many of us have said within NWCBC, "There's no such thing as a free boat," and that's certainly the case with this one.

One of our prospective boat-restoration customers, Mike Scoggins, decided not to pursue refurbishment of this 1957 Skagit 17-foot inboard runabout, which he'd purchased a few years back from Doug Griffith (aka Skagitman). The boat was running, with a strong-if-overwhelming Chrysler 440 c.i. V-8--way more power than actually required--but the boat needed general restoration, a new rudder and other stuff.

I was given the runabout by Mike, picked it up today, and I'm offering it conditionally to others: the condition being that we are allowed to restore it for the new owner...or at least do a majority of the work needed.

The hull is sound, and the package includes a new rudder and associated gear; new stainless exhaust pipes; new water-cooling hardware; rebuilt carb; new fuel tank and other goodies. The windshield is not a factory original, but it's in good shape. The boat has all of its original deck hardware and running gear, including a good prop and propshaft. It sits on a pretty decent Holsclaw double-axle trailer, which made today's 75-mile trip just fine. (Tires are not cracked, and hold air.) There are Bearing Buddies on all four wheels; a tongue jack and it fits a 2" ball, but the trailer wiring needs work. (I got home with a portable set of lights.)

There are titles for boat and trailer.

Your first question, naturally, is going to be "So, how much to restore it??" And the answer, of course, is "It depends."

It depends on how many things you want done to the boat, whether you take them on or we do. Here are some of the items on a possible checklist:

* Engine - Continue with existing 440, which runs and has a newly rebuilt carb, or replace with a smaller and lighter-weight engine. We have a few possible options at the shop, or...?

* Paint - The boat was painted sometime in the distant past. The blue is oxidized, especially on the sides where the boat cover didn't offer protection, so the paint could be rubbed out or redone altogether.

* Upholstery, Seats - The front seat structure is there, but a new back seat needs to be built (ply and framing). The engine cover is there for a pattern, but it's basically junk and needs to be replaced (more framing and ply). New upholstery is needed everywhere.

* Cockpit floor - I haven't looked too closely yet. The front-cockpit floor is in place and might be fine if covered with fresh carpeting. There's a ply bulkhead up under the dash that looks funky, but might be structurally fine and improved with a glue-on carpet treatment. There are various pieces of loose, painted plywood that appear to cover all openings in the rear cockpit, but it might be time to replace/rebuild them.

* Deck Hardware - All original; needs to be removed and rechromed. With the bow running light, it's probably less expensive to simply buy a new Perko light, since the company still makes the same basic pattern.

* Running Gear - New rudder shaftlog has been installed; rudder itself is in box and ready to install. Prop and propshaft look good, and are attached to 440 engine.

* Cooling System - New through-hull fittings, and associated cooling parts purchased in the past few years just need to be installed.

* Wiring - The usual mess of old and funky; probably needs to be rewired.

* Gauges - Another mess of old junk. Replace.

* Steering Wheel - Non-original and inappropriate for this classic boat. (Looks like a tacky mid-1960's "racing" wheel, now corroded and even uglier than it was when new. The boat needs a 1950's-vintage Vollrath or Attwood wheel, but I think the rest of the steering system is fine.)

* Trailer - Functional, with aftermarket side guides. Could continue using, or eventually replace....it just depends on your attitude regarding vintage trailers.

I'll be happy to take a closer look at the boat and potential costs for the various items, if anyone's seriously interested in adopting the boat and sponsoring its restoration.

E-mail Marty@islandboatshop.com if you'd like to discuss....

Thanks,

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

That Was One Of My More Memorable Skagits

This is really a pretty cool boat. Definitely overpowered with that 413, but man does it ever sound sweet, even at idle.

I'm glad to see she has made it back into the boating community as you don't see many of these powerhouse 17s.

Hope Mike is doing well?

Here's a few shots I had laying around.
    Attached Files

Comment

Skagit inboard

Doug -

Thanks for posting the photos, which show the boat and engine really well.

(Oops, I think I called it a 440...but of course it's a 413.)

Not sure if that engine will remain in the boat; I might drop it into my 27' Luhrs, since it would be more appropriate in that big hull. The Skagit might end up powered by a GM 283 marine engine...which would offer plenty of speed and save a lot of weight.

Mike is doing fine, but he and his wife decided that now is not the time for a fleet of old boats...and restoration costs, etc. Obviously a familiar situation in this economy.

- Marty
      http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

Working...
      X