Kid's Boat for Christmas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid's Boat for Christmas?

Last year we designed and built the prototype for a little skiff that was intended to be a youngster's first boat. The thought was to possibly use a CNC router to cut boat parts and offer the micro-rowboat as a kit...but we decided against the plan after being cautioned about liability issues, the difficulty of getting Coast Guard approval for anything this small, and other concerns.

So, with some reluctance, I'm offering the brand-new prototype for sale. As you can see in the photos, it's bright red on the outside, with mahogany trim, a mahogany-ply transom and mahogany-marine plywood construction. Overall length is 6 feet, so it'll fit inside the bed of a small pickup (or in the back of a station wagon or minivan). Weight of the boat is 30 pounds, and it should be a great starter boat for any kid weighing less than about 80 pounds. (It's been a long time since I've had little kids around the house, so I've lost a bit of perspective on ages and weights of children, but any little life-jacketed kid could be towed around in the boat, and I think youngsters in the 5-8-year-old range could learn to row the boat. That part really depends on the kid, I suppose.)

I've got a lot of time into the project, but it would make such a great Christmas present for some youngster that I'm willing to sell the hand-crafted prototype for $350.

E-mail Marty@islandboatshop.com if you have questions or want to reserve it for somebody's Christmas tree. (I guess maybe the tree would be IN the boat, rather than having the boat under the tree...but, hey, whatever works.)

- Marty
    Attached Files
    http://www.pocketyachters.com

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Price Cut on Kid's Boat

I just dropped the kid's boat price (see details, above) since it would be a great Christmas present...and my own grandkids are all teen-agers and too big forthe little 6-footer.

- Marty

"If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." - E. B. White

Comment

kids boat

Hey Marty
      With a slight modification it could be a baby crib/rocker and start a kid out for a long maritime adventure. Rocker could be removed when they are older and used as a beginning rowboat. Later add a sail. A kid could be addicted by five years old. Then it becomes a tender....
      Bruce H. Drake
      1956 Bell Boy Express 21'
      1957 Norseman 19' woodie
      1961 Glasspar Seafair Phaeton 17'
      1957 Lyman Runabout 13' woodie

Comment

Red Skiff belongs in Miller Bay

Marty
        With multiple family members with kids heading for the Nooschkum beach in Miller Bay, I would be happy to acquire your little skiff. It could become a new extended family tradition of kid's first solo boating adventure. Sort of like having to swim across to the big sandspit before you get to go out in a boat by yourself...but we could modify that rule slightly. So where are the oar locks... (technically my wife is out of town tonight at Willapa bay so I am allowed to acquire a boat...and she loves bright red)
        Bruce
        Bruce H. Drake
        1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Sold!

The kid's skiff is headed for Miller Bay, thanks to Bruce.

- Marty

Comment

(technically my wife is out of town tonight at Willapa bay so I am allowed to acquire a boat...and she loves bright red)

Bruce.....Technically ...Huh ? Maybe you could use it to go to shore from the BB21. Chuck
            1957 17' Skagit Express Cruiser
            1959 20' Skagit Express Cruiser 120 HP I/O "Chippewa"

Comment

Versatile pram

Chuck
              I was thinking of using the little pram to tow wayward souls that have engine problems off Indianola. I hear there is a big market for that.

p.s. Wikipedia says that if you live in Scappoose and cross the Columbia river you are out of town. Others say if you live in Scappoose you are out of town.
              Bruce H. Drake
              1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Bruce, Ok now i get it like telling someone you are going "overseas ", but you are really only going from Edmonds to Kingston on a ferry.

Comment

Bruce , That was not nice about towing people off Indianola. I think i know what you ment by that ? LOL ! Have a nice Christmas, Chuck

Comment

Chuck...losing your edge...or just a long Christmas nap

Chuck
                    It took you 20 hours for an Indianola response. Too much eggnog already??
                    Bruce
                    Bruce H. Drake
                    1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Hey,Hey, Nope have been sick this week. Bad cold and temp at 100.7 earlier. Been trying to work this week also. Talked to Marty last night and now i feel a whole lot better after talking boat talk. I think these are the pictures you were talking about. That motor was something else for sure ! That was the only time Sheila was on the Farallon. Last summer she went on the Skagit Bainbridge one time only and it ran great except the water condition was real bad. Now do you see why my son ,Dan come's with me. The only boat she thought was a ball was the G-3 on a pond ( Mayfield ). Chuck
                      Attached Files

Comment

pram towing

Chuck. The pram will tow you just to the Indianola mudflats. Marty won't allow it to tow to Edmonds. Something about the 80 pound limit. Spouses should probably go on the first test run of any boat on a nice calm lake (but not Lake Washington when all the boats are out). Hope you feel much better for Christmas.
                        Bruce H. Drake
                        1957 Norseman 19' woodie

Comment

Working...
                        X