Best size outboard for 1957 Skagit Express

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best size outboard for 1957 Skagit Express

Hi all, the outboard that came with our new Express is toast. It's a 50hp, which seems like overkill. The 40's I've been looking at are really expensive. Would a 30 hp work? We'd be using it to fairweather gunkhole, but currents can be quite peppy around where we live. Thanks in advance for your input!

Who pronounced it dead it ran good he was having trouble with it staling when he put it in gear. Single shift lever out of adjustment. Those motors are great on those boats. Thirty horse power might plane it with one person no gear.

Comment

I have seen Lots of Over powered boats and even a 17 foot,. I have seen them with twin 50 Mercs, twin 35 OMC's but for the most part, just in My opinion, I would use something close to 60hp for family and gear. The thing is, you never have to run the WOT anyway.
      I had a 20' Skagit with a 55hp on it and with two people and all the fishing gear, it was Hard on the motor. I have a 20 offshore Skagit with the B18 Volvo I/O and for me, that is about the best option out there. Engine simple to work on, sips fuel and dependable.
      Lots of options to choose from.
      Helmar Joe Johanesen
      1959 Skagit 20ft Offshore, 1959 Skagit 16ft Skimaster,
      1961 17ft Dorsett Catalina.1958 Uniflite 17 ft
      Outboards: 2.5 Bearcats, 3 50hp White shadow Mercs
      2 40hp Johnsons, several smaller Old kickers for a total of 12

Our Sister club
      http://www.goldenstateglassics.com

Oh, and Where is Robin Hood when you need him??

Comment

Thanks, John & Helmar! Hmmm...good to know. I'll take the engine in for a second opinion. The hydraulic lift definitely didn't work and the mechanic tore into the motor enough to say it would be safer to get a new one so I wouldn't be stuck in Cattle Pass rowing. But the mechanic is selling new motors, so worth a second opinion, for sure.

Comment

...forgot to mention - thanks for the thoughts on motors, Helmar. I believe the boat was set up for I/O at some point, so will look into that, too.

Comment

Chuck added the hydraulic lift and it is not needed /expensive to work on. Did the mechanic have it running? Is there water in the lower unit? Rowing is not practical, backup is necessary, kicker twin engines a buddy boat Chuck had tow insurance. When my Dad got too old to mess with a gas kicker I got him a big salt water electric. The 50 evinrude needs a water pump and thermostat removed now if the bolts break off that would confirm toast. If you are 100% dependant on a mechanic you have to buy a motor he will work on.

Comment

Working...
            X